PDA

View Full Version : Name your biggest disappointing MLB team for 2009.....

camarokids
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
The regular season is almost over and it is getting clearer on who will and will not make the playoffs.

For me the Devil Rays are a bust! They are in the midst of a 8 game losing streak.

Currently they are 18 1/2 games out of first and 9 1/2 games behind Boston for the wild card.

Barring a meltdown of gigantic proportions from several teams their season is toast....

I have heard others say before that in 2008 the Devil Rays would not have made the playoffs if NY and Bosox did not have off years.

Well that thought is sure holding true iin 2009.

Last season TB seemed to get the timely and clutch hits when they needed them. This year ?????

My dad is a Cubs fan, no need to go there, you all know that story......

Whats your disappointment?

ndevlin
09-10-2009, 12:31 AM
My Royals. They were picked by many to win the central this year. Shyeah, right. They are on pace to lose 100 games and they just gave an extention to Dayton Moore, which I didnt quite understand.

Trey Hillman, dont even get me started on him.

Greinke could easily have 18 or more wins right now if it wasnt for his teammates giving him 1.2 runs of support every single time he pitches.

Ive been to/watched probably 90% of their games this year. Hillman will be gone after next year and Moore shouldnt be too far behind after his crappy extention is up. Its all just pathetic.

At least I dont live in Pittsburgh though!

OaklandAsFan
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Oakland Athletics. At the start of the year with Ocab, Holliday and Giambi all slated to work the heart of the order I wouldn't believe you if you had told me the A's would have been as pathetic as they have been this season.

dcgreg25
09-10-2009, 07:58 AM
For me it has to be my Cleveland Indians. They came into the season with real postseason hopes and tanked it quickly with another slow start. Once we traded away our stars the team starts winning when the pressure is off and we have no shot. Unfortunately this seems to have become a trend (other than 2007) with the team falling behind early in the season and playing catch-up the rest of the year. While they are in no danger of competing next year, they do have some good young players

BergerKing22784
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
While the Braves had made a strong showing this year given the talent they have they still disapointed me this year. I was so used to seeing them in playoffs, so used to seeing them on TBS and than Ted Turner sold them and there was no more big money for contracts. While the Braves do have some young talent coming up in the system I think they will always be 1 or 2 veterns who are not past their prime away from doing anything spectacular again.... The fans there make me mad as nobody goes to the games and if they do they pull a Kyle Hess and buy a cheap seat and sneak closer haha. Love yah Kyle but Im sure your not the only one who does that!

Just makes me sad! Oh not to mention my second favorite team since I've lived here so long is the Orioles and they will never be good again for the rest of Peter Angelos life unless Mark Cuban comes in and buys them!

TNTtoys
09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I am surprised that nobody mentioned them yet, but the Mets have to be the top of the list or close to it. I have never seen a season in my life where just about every star player on a team has gone down with injury for all or most of the season. A brief recap of Mets injuries for 2009:

Position Players
---------------
Delgado - been out since early May; likely done for season
Reyes - been on the DL for 3 1/2 months. Probably out for season.
Beltran - just back; missed most of the last 3 months
Schneider - hurt more than half of the season; has played only 51 gms
Wright - missed 2 1/2 weeks after being hit in the head
Sheffield - hasn't started since 8/25. Might be done for the season
Cora - filled in for Reyes; also got injured & out for season now
F Martinez - missed last 2 months; probably done for season too
R Martinez - 60 day DL; not likely we will see him back weither

Pitchers
-------
Santana - had season-ending surgery
Perez - out for season
Maine - out for last 3 months; likely done for season
Niese - out for season
Nieve - out for 2 months; possibly more
Wagner - was out until late August; pitched 2 innings and was dealt
Putz - out for season

Manram
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Oakland A's.

RobSteinmetz
09-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I think this goes without saying...the Chicago Cubs. Here's to hoping the Ricketts family cleans house.

suicide_squeeze
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I know most will say "What are you complaining about, they have the best record in the NL!!!!"

.......but I am becoming disgusted with the Dodgers lately. Manny is, as usual, holding up his end of the bargain, but the rest of the team is playing like a bunch of burn-outs. They did rally to win two nights ago against the lowly Diamondbacks, but all in all, they have a losing record since the All-Star break.

And Joe Torre is a miserable manager of his pitching staff....and the fact that he is CONSTANTLy shuffling the line-up every game.....what's up with THAT? Establish a line up, and let the players work their way out of it if they don't perform. Changing their order in the line up night after night after night......CHRIST, no wonder their playing like a dysfunctional bunch.

Last nights loss against Arizona just about sums it up. They have a lead, lose it in the fifth with a tie, carry that into the ninth where they don't score score in the top of the frame. So in comes an unproven loser out of a bullpen, because Torre has already used George Sherrill. Trancoso instantly has the winning runner on third, with one out. So, they do the smart thing by intentionally walking the bases loaded. One strike away from getting out of it, with a full count, this turd Trancoso walks in the winner.

I mean.....Russell martin sets up in the exact same location of "ball three" this turn just threw, knowing very well he NEEDS to throw a strike, or the game is over. So, Trancoso the turd hits the target.....out of the strike zone......game over.

GEEZUZ CHRIST.......JUST THROW A FRICKIN STRIKE! If Arizona hits it in fair play, at LEAST you gave it a shot......but to WALK THE GUY with "GAME OVER" being the result?

Martin ought to be fined for being so stupid (setting up like this pitcher is CAPABLE of painting the corner when the GAME is on the line!), Trancoso should be released, and Torre should be sent packing. I have watched him mishandle the pitching staff of this team for two months running, seen many game go down the tubes because of it, and the Dodgers are putting together NOTHING in this stretch run, while Colorado, being managed by the Dodgers last dumped manager, is crawling right up their hind quarters (2 1/2 games back now). It's MADENING being a Dodgers fan.....

And we already hit on this "Thome" thing......put a fricking GLOVE on the dude and get him some AT BATS.....or why did you bother? He isn't a MANNY MOTA type of player.........sheesh!

shoremen44
09-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Suicide sqeeze... you're allowed to be disgusted with a winner...

on the flip side I am actually happy with the O's this year despite them being in the basement

Chris78
09-10-2009, 02:03 PM
New York Mets. If they did not have all of the injuries, they would be right in there as the Phillies have not been playing that well lately.

With regards to the Tampa Bay Rays, last year everything went right and they overachieved with Boston and the Yankees not achieving expectations. They are a young team and will be better next year.

The Orioles could be a surprise team in the next year or two with some impressive young talent on the horizon.

sox83cubs84
09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
The Cubs, hands down. Not only were they hit with an inordinate amount of injuries, but trips to the Unfriendly Confines, already less enjoyable due to the Gestapo mentality of security and ushers, is even less palatable due to a lot of just plain stupid baseball many players are guilty of. Add to that the fact that much of the team is less than fan-friendly and unlikeable, and the whole enchilada is very depressing :( .

Dave M.
Chicago area

bigtime59
09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
The Yankee$ spent almost half a billion dollars on free agents in the off-season, and actually remembered to buy a bullpen as part of their annual "I'll take the AL East for $200MM, please" spendathon.
The Red $ox, as usual, spent their way into one of the top two slots in the East.
The Rays are finishing right where I expected them to--in third place, and out of the playoff hunt.

Until MLB fixes its revenue distribution system, if you're Baltimore, Tampa or Toronto--no matter how good you are--you're hoping for lightning in a bottle because there are two teams in your division ready, willing and (usually) able to buy the division title.

This system sucks. :mad:

suave1477
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Well first of all as much as I hate to say this I actually feel bad for the Mets. Yes I said being a Yankee fan.

I am not sure how the Mets are not at the op of anyones list.

They have had the most Injuries to there team of starting players than any other team in MLB and it is pathetic.

The funny part is the one player who has basically been the most consistant and star of the team - A Utility player by the name of Sheffield lol lol:p

BigTime - As I do understand your anger towards the distribution system at the same time it is a bit unfair to ask for more and you know what to ask for anything.

Since when has Target gone to Walmart and said hey we are not doing well, can we share some of your Money????
Wal Mart would laugh right in there face!!

Yankees do what they must financially to get the players they want. Don't be mad at our team for doing it. You should be mad at your team for not doing it.