PDA

View Full Version : What Happened? Packers Helmet

cohibasmoker
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Any one see this helmet on eBay? One day it was there and then - it was gone. The auction was on for less than a day. When I saw it this morning, it was $400 and change. Tonight, it's gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280395136587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jim

cohibasmoker
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
OK - I found it. The Buyer ended the original and made-up a new auction with a Buy It Now price. Any forum member get it?

Jim

gwh11
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
This was the Davis shell that Legendary Auctions sold last year. The buyer attached/restored what looked like a vintage "cowcatcher" mask, put jawpads in, and did something with the suspension inside. I didn't like the new, personalized autograph that was on top (Davis erroneously wrote that it was his 1960 helmet), and there was a new, reddish mark/scuff that wasn't there before. This info wasn't in the item description, so I wonder if it was disclosed to the buyer.

Guy

aeneas01
09-10-2009, 06:08 AM
This was the Davis shell that Legendary Auctions sold last year. The buyer attached/restored what looked like a vintage "cowcatcher" mask, put jawpads in, and did something with the suspension inside. I didn't like the new, personalized autograph that was on top (Davis erroneously wrote that it was his 1960 helmet), and there was a new, reddish mark/scuff that wasn't there before. This info wasn't in the item description, so I wonder if it was disclosed to the buyer.

Guy

sold for $800 at mastro (11/08) and at the time was fitted with a reproduction (helmet hut) suspension unit - the red marks were also present when it sold at mastro.

vintage jaw pads have since been added, the autograph, and so has a bolt on cow catcher jop facemask. i believe the helmet hut reproduction suspension unit has also been replaced with an authentic suspension unit (the ebay photos have been removed, but i seem to remember the ebay version having an authentic unit - anyone have photos?). whatever the case the rivets that hold the suspension unit in place have since changed - it appears they have been "aged", most likely sanded down to remove the shine of the reproduction rivets. none of this was mentioned in the ad and, as such, it appears that the seller's clear intent was to deceive the buyer.

amazing what a little elbow grease and dishonesty will get you - purchased from mastro for $800 and sold on ebay for $2,100. btw he's listed the sanders helmet on ebay as well which also sold at mastro at the same time the davis helmet sold...

gwh11
09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Robert,
Thanks for adding your perspective on this. I didn't save the photos, but you're right about the suspension.

There were a few previous reddish marks, to be sure, but there was clearly a new reddish one (kind of a short, curved line) that wasn't present before. This was on the left side of the helmet.

Guy

Vikingshelmetguy
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
sold for $800 at mastro (11/08) and at the time was fitted with a reproduction (helmet hut) suspension unit - the red marks were also present when it sold at mastro.

vintage jaw pads have since been added, the autograph, and so has a bolt on cow catcher jop facemask. i believe the helmet hut reproduction suspension unit has also been replaced with an authentic suspension unit (the ebay photos have been removed, but i seem to remember the ebay version having an authentic unit - anyone have photos?). whatever the case the rivets that hold the suspension unit in place have since changed - it appears they have been "aged", most likely sanded down to remove the shine of the reproduction rivets. none of this was mentioned in the ad and, as such, it appears that the seller's clear intent was to deceive the buyer.

amazing what a little elbow grease and dishonesty will get you - purchased from mastro for $800 and sold on ebay for $2,100. btw he's listed the sanders helmet on ebay as well which also sold at mastro at the same time the davis helmet sold...

Wow, I noticed this helmet on Ebay and thought it was so incredible--a rustic, vintage Riddell RK from the Packers glory years. While I guess I cannot fault folks for trying to restore a helmet shell with replacement suspension webbing and jaw pads, it is a bummer that the seller did not divulge that parts of the helmet have been reproduced/manipulated/augmented.

NEFAN
09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
As usual, eBay allowed another crook to earn a buck.