PDA

View Full Version : Thome Deal to LA

skyking26
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't know about anybody else here; but Thome's decision to waive his no-trade clause on the LA trade might not have been wise. He's as unselfish a player as you will find, we all know that. His quest for a ring right now probably is higher than 600 HRS as evident in his decision...

However, the Dodgers are sinking fast, and LA has no use for him other than maybe 1 AB per night keeping him stale thus limiting the quest for 600 and at the same time I think we all probably see he should have just stayed in Chicago and let the season fade out. Maybe somebody else still would have picked him up later on in the AL for the same purpose? That is where he belonged. This move really is counterproductive on a HOF career. Thomecollector sent me a note yesterday that Thome's dad was on a radio show stating he thought Jim would possibly end up back in CHI next season... That would be interesting.Stranger things have happened. Given the lack of playing time he recieved there this year I'd tend to disagree myself.

Any thoughts?

RK

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Good points. He will definitely lose a lot of ABs since the trade. Hopefully he returns next year to an American League team to finish out his career and get his 600 HRs.

When McGwire retired in 2001 he easily could have played another year and reached the 600 HR plateau.

I think for some players the stats and records don't mean as much and maybe this was Thome's shot for a ring.

thomecollector
09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Bob,
This is true. But, he had to be traded by the 8/31 deadline to be eligible for Post Season play. He had 30 minutes to make up his mind. Not alot. I know that he wants 600. But those two losses in the 90's left him with a hunger for that ring. He wants that first. I am working hard to get to Washington the end of the month to see the big guy. Maybe he will add to his total by then.:D

suicide_squeeze
09-07-2009, 03:49 PM
This whole trade was baffling. It has to be as Andrew stated....his desire to maybe pick up a ring. His stats are definately suffering from not being able to get 4 at bats a night.

I would LOVE to see him back in Chicago next year. That way I can give Dave M. a lot more chances to earn some dough while he picks me up my missing home run ball!:cool:

By the way, at this point he's sitting on 564. If 600 truly is a big goal of his, wouldn't you think he'd have to play 2 more seasons? It would be a stretch to think he would hit 36 home runs in one season even if he were the regular DH every game. Could he do it? Sure. But it would be a stretch.

whatupyos
09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I want to chime in with my .02. I think he's on a quest for a ring. Besides the love of the game, thats why you play. You dont play for stats...or you shouldn't. You play to win. If you're playing for stats you're not a team player. McGwire never played for stats. It was the love of the game. He could have easily hit 600, but that wasn't important to him. He couldn't play at the level he wanted to and walked away graciously. Thomewants a ring and I dont believe him going to LA to do that will hurt his HOF chances in any way shape or form. He's a pheonomenal player and will get in with no problem. I can't blame him for wanting a ring. I'd do the same thing. Everyone dreams of playing for a winner.

Aaron

skyking26
09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
This whole trade was baffling. It has to be as Andrew stated....his desire to maybe pick up a ring. His stats are definately suffering from not being able to get 4 at bats a night.

I would LOVE to see him back in Chicago next year. That way I can give Dave M. a lot more chances to earn some dough while he picks me up my missing home run ball!:cool:

By the way, at this point he's sitting on 564. If 600 truly is a big goal of his, wouldn't you think he'd have to play 2 more seasons? It would be a stretch to think he would hit 36 home runs in one season even if he were the regular DH every game. Could he do it? Sure. But it would be a stretch.
Regardless of where he goes next year; I think sitting on 564 he has to play 2 years...............to hit 600.

WadeInBmore
09-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Could you imagine doing like Gary Sheffield and finishing a season with 499 round trippers. Talk about anxiety. I think he could do it in one more year. I hope he continues to play as long as he feels physically up to it. Every great hitter and player deserves there swan song and I hope he hangs it up on his terms and no one elses.

And just to play devils advocate, if it is all about a ring and he doesn't accomplish his goal this year what do you think the likelihood of him arriving in Yankees Pinstripes next year would be? Just a thought.

whatupyos
09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
And just to play devils advocate, if it is all about a ring and he doesn't accomplish his goal this year what do you think the likelihood of him arriving in Yankees Pinstripes next year would be? Just a thought.

Not likely considering that the Yanks haven't won the World Series in 8 years....soon to be 9. If he wanted to win a title, I'd suggest playing for another team.

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I want to chime in with my .02. I think he's on a quest for a ring. Besides the love of the game, thats why you play. You dont play for stats...or you shouldn't. You play to win. If you're playing for stats you're not a team player. McGwire never played for stats. It was the love of the game. He could have easily hit 600, but that wasn't important to him. He couldn't play at the level he wanted to and walked away graciously. Thomewants a ring and I dont believe him going to LA to do that will hurt his HOF chances in any way shape or form. He's a pheonomenal player and will get in with no problem. I can't blame him for wanting a ring. I'd do the same thing. Everyone dreams of playing for a winner.

Aaron

But you play for more than just rings. You play for personal enjoyment; you play for the fans and for team loyalty. That's what Thome's lost, especially with his decision to leave Cleveland.

Let's just say hypothetically that Thome does get a ring in LA. What does it mean? It's not with a team he's spent much time with; it's not with a team where he will have gotten many ABs. Therefore, what good is it?

Even if Thome does get a ring, it will be cheapened, since Thome wouldn't play much of a role with LA. Methinks this decision smacks of a certain need for a ring above all else, which doesn't surprise me with Thome.

skyking26
09-07-2009, 09:23 PM
But you play for more than just rings. You play for personal enjoyment; you play for the fans and for team loyalty. That's what Thome's lost, especially with his decision to leave Cleveland.

Let's just say hypothetically that Thome does get a ring in LA. What does it mean? It's not with a team he's spent much time with; it's not with a team where he will have gotten many ABs. Therefore, what good is it?

Even if Thome does get a ring, it will be cheapened, since Thome wouldn't play much of a role with LA. Methinks this decision smacks of a certain need for a ring above all else, which doesn't surprise me with Thome.
Frik's doin' some heavy duty Thome bashin'..................:eek:

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Frik's doin' some heavy duty Thome bashin'..................:eek:

I don't hate Thome at all. Mine is a frustration with the players of this era and their lack of team loyalty and team identification. Sorry if it came out like I hated Thome. I don't. I actually like watching him play. I just wish there was more team loyalty these days. I admire people like Craig Biggio, who even though he didn't win the ring, was happy to play his entire career with the Astros.

whatupyos
09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't hate Thome at all. Mine is a frustration with the players of this era and their lack of team loyalty and team identification. Sorry if it came out like I hated Thome. I don't. I actually like watching him play. I just wish there was more team loyalty these days. I admire people like Craig Biggio, who even though he didn't win the ring, was happy to play his entire career with the Astros.

Frik-

That's all fine and dandy, but you can't fault a guy for wanting a ring either. That's great if someone wants to stay with a team and identify with them. But you also want to win. Get a ring, no matter if its playing the whole year with a team or one month.

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Frik - For those of us that remember baseball before the 1970's and Free Agency you had players that played for 1 or 2 teams their whole career. You knew in the early 60's that Mantle was a Yankee, Koufax a Dodger, Aaron a Brave, Bob Gibson a Cardinal, Killebrew a Twin, Brooks Robinson a Oriole and Willie Mays a Giant.

The new world and society as a whole has limited loyalty. You have a loyal few but most will jump their company for a small raise. Its not just ballplayers. Some are justified in leaving because the company didn't take care of the worker.

Albert Pujols is going to have a tough decision in a couple of years. LeBron James is going to have a tough decision next year and looks like he will leave.

I saw the gamesmanship Teixeira played in Free Agency negotiations late last year, and lost a ton of respect for him.

If Thome wanted a ring, I say go for it as he is at the end of his career. Some of these other guys, I say when is enough, enough?

whatupyos
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Frik - For those of us that remember baseball before the 1970's and Free Agency you had players that played for 1 or 2 teams their whole career. You knew in the early 60's that Mantle was a Yankee, Koufax a Dodger, Aaron a Brave, Bob Gibson a Cardinal, Killebrew a Twin, Brooks Robinson a Oriole and Willie Mays a Giant.

The new world and society as a whole has limited loyalty. You have a loyal few but most will jump their company for a small raise. Its not just ballplayers. Some are justified in leaving because the company didn't take care of the worker.

Albert Pujols is going to have a tough decision in a couple of years. LeBron James is going to have a tough decision next year and looks like he will leave.

I saw the gamesmanship Teixeira played in Free Agency negotiations late last year, and lost a ton of respect for him.

If Thome wanted a ring, I say go for it as he is at the end of his career. Some of these other guys, I say when is enough, enough?

i agree with you Andrew. I always felt sorry for Karl Malone. Awesome bball player, but poor guy never got a ring. He tried toward the end of his career, but it just escaped him. I can never fault a player toward the end for wanting one winning season, or part of one. I do think it stinks when guys just ship for more money like you noted. I mean, when is enough enough. These guys are so lucky to make what they make. $1 mil a year or $30 mil a year, you're still making a whole heck of a lot more than the rest of us, so be happy knowing just that. Heck, if I had the skill, I'd love making league minimum. $400,000 to play my favorite game....where do I sign!! I mean, even at $400,000 a year you're making more than most doctors, attorney's ect. You dont have to worry where the next meal is coming from and never will assuming you invest wisely.

Aaron