PDA

View Full Version : Could being one of the best on your team ever put you in the Hall???

suave1477
09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I ask this because this is a question thats is going to start coming up within the next year or 2.

DEREK JETER!!!

I personally as a Yankee fan think he is borderline hall of fame matirial but as each day goes by is getting closer and closer.

Not with that said!!

If you look up his stats in comparison to all Yankees Ever. He will be breaking most teams records within the next year or 2 or 3.
Which at the point will make him one of the greatest Yankees ever.

No he is not going to hit the 500 Home Run mark
No he is not going to play more games than gehrig
Chances are he will not have a hitting streak like DiMaggio

But do you think the consistency & longevity of his career which is what is going to make him break most Yankee records.

Will Jeter be an Automatic first time ballot Hall of Famer?

Here are some Yankee stats he is closing in on

Most games played - he will break in about 2 or 3 years
Most hits - he will break in a game or 2
RBI'S - will be in the top 10, maybe top 5 in the next few years (currently at #10)
Runs - could be #2 or #3 in the next few years (currently #4)
Doubles - could break the record in the next couple of years
At Bats - #1
Steals - could break the record in about 2 years (currently #2)
Total Bases - could be in the top 3 in the next couple of years (currently #5)
Singles - #1

metsbats
09-06-2009, 10:06 PM
There's alot of attention put on the Yankee records Derek Jeter is approaching and surpassing.

Putting the all time Yankee records aside for a moment, Jeter is now the all time hit leader for shortstops by passing HOFer Luis Aparico's record of 2673. Jeter currently is an owner of a .317 career batting average and has a great chance of reaching the 3,000 hit milestone in two years.

He's a 9 time All star, 2000 WS MVP, 96 ROY, 2000 AS MVP, and 4 time WS champion.

Yankee records are great and he probably will finish his career as the all time leader in many categories but it's not the only factor which will determine Jeter's eventual induction into the HOF.

jobathenut
09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
My thoughts is there is no debate at all.Derek jeter for sure will be a first ballot hall of famer.And to me when it's all said and done,he will go down as the best yankee ever.Stats are nice but to me you look also at the player he is and what he has ment to his team.So yes being the best on the team makes him in it,but also does his nmebers and what he has ment to the game itself.I love the way he plays the game and goes about handling himself.I know i am a yankees fan so of course i am going to say all this.:)

xpress34
09-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Not a Yankee fan here, but I do enjoy watching Jeter play.

1st Ballot HOFer??? Without a doubt.

I'll give you two reasons that alone (regardless of his other stats) will have the writers gushing to vote him in:

1) All of the Playoff and World Series appearances along with the Championships

2) He will be the 1st player in the storied history of the Yankees to join the 3,000 hit club if he finishes this season on the pace he's on and ONLY has his average number of hits next year, he will hit 3,000 sometime in 2011

As a BONUS, he will have done it ALL as a Franchise Player and that goes a LONG way with the voters as well.

Just my .02

- Chris

cjw
09-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Heck of a player. He needs to get rid of the fade. Really bad haircut.

flaco1801
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
not a yankee fan, but jeter is a sure fire hall of famer no doubt.. he plays the game the way its suppose to be played..

rj_lucas
09-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm sure right about now the Hall of Fame wishes there were 100 more just like Jeter in the game, and every one of them would make the HOF in a heartbeat.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

corsairs22
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
To answer your larger, theoretical question, I would say yes, for sure. The rationale for electing guys like Kelly, Lindstrom, Jackson, and Bancroft is not that they were friends of Frankie Frisch but that they were part of the core of truly great Giants teams from the 20's. I don't think that Tinker, Evers, and Chance are in solely "because of a poem" but also because of the Cubs juggernaut from 1906-10. And it seems to me that Jeter's role on the modern Yankees makes him a sure thing.