PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so much interest in Tampa Bay Buccaneer helmets?

Larry Pelliccioni
09-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I have listed some of my game worn helmets up on ebay including a shot of one side of my basement where I keep the helmets in my personal collection. Among them are 5 old style Tampa Bay Buccaneer helmet including Hugh Green and Terry Hanratty. Every time I list items and show this particular shot, I am bombarded with emails asking me if I am interested in selling any of the Tampa Bay.
Why the interest? It certainly was not the way they played when wearing them?
Just trying to get a handle on what it is about them that everyone wants.
Larry Pelliccioni

commando
09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Wasn't the team notoriously tight with their equipment through the mid-90s? I get the impression that legit game used helmets and jerseys from those earlier years are quite hard to find.

34swtns
09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm quite sure my response won't cover all the reasons for any above average interest in your old Bucs lids but, speaking as a Tampa-based Bucs collector, those are pretty hard to come by even around here. That, coupled with the fact that this is the first year that the franchise has sanctioned a "throwback" game, and you've got increased interest in anything related to the old Bucs unis. The cheesy new Reebok orange throwback jerseys have been flying off the shelves down here of late.

both-teams-played-hard
09-06-2009, 07:40 PM
It's a nostalgia thing. I own exactly zero football helmets, but I'd like an old school Tampa Bucs. It's a defunct style. We want what we can't have.
The only NFL games I have attended were at the Big Sombrero. The weather in Tampa in the fall is better than perfect. Bruce the Buccaneer? The "happy" pirate? Gold...pure gold!

perlman9
09-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Hey Larry
I was one of the requesters. I was 5 years old in 1976 and fell in love with the Bucs then because of the uniforms. Have been a fan ever since so really wanted one to bring back the memories of those time. I like the new uniforms, but always will favor Bucky and the construction barrel orange and red!

yosef777
09-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Everyone has already responded with all the correct reasons!
Here is a clears shell version that is real nice but the decals are backwards : (