PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you collect a certain team or player?

commando
09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm just curious about how you guys handle your collections. As for me, I'm specifically a Houston Gamblers collector, and am always looking for uniforms, cards, souvenirs, etc. related to the team. When I acquire such an item, it is OFF THE TABLE as far as trading or selling goes. I consider these items a permanent part of my Gamblers collection.

I've noticed other collectors who also collect a certain team, or sometimes a certain player, but then I'll see them selling items that are what they collect. Is it because money is limited, and they found another item they wanted even more? Is it because of space issues? I'm sure there are dozens of reasons, but I'm curious to hear some replies. I know most of us pick up the occasional random item for a great price, with the intention of "flipping" it. But probably not from the team or player we collect...

dcrules01
09-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I am a big Mets collector and have sold a lot of Mets items or traded for others pieces that collectors were looking for..I have a couple oddball pieces but my collection centers on the late 70's early 80's.But I have narrowed that down to certain players from that era Joel Youngblood,Doug Flynn,Pat Zachary,Craig Swan and Frank Taveras I even picked of a few Tampa Bay Rays jerseys that Steve Henderson wore..Also from 95-98 Jason Isringhausen,Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson...Money is an issue sometimes my wife has health problems so if I see something I can make a profit on to help my expense I have no problem..It is unlikely you will see me selling any of the above players because they were my favorites growing up..

godwulf
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
In my case, I've narrowed the focus of my collecting from when I started, about eleven years ago...and some of the items that I bought back then, I'm not so interested in keeping, anymore.

It used to be that when a player came to my team (the Diamondbacks) I would immediately look for and buy anything from that player - bats, jerseys, etc, from his previous teams. If a guy had been bouncing around for some years, like Lenny Harris or Bernard Gilkey, I might end up with bats from six or seven other teams. Then the guy leaves after a season or two, time passes, and my interest in all those other-team items begins, in a lot of cases, to diminish.

Certain players, probably only a half-dozen or so, I will still buy and hold onto their other-team items, but that's it.

This past week, I went through the list of my bats, and have identified sixty or seventy that I really won't miss, and I'd rather they were in the collections of folks who appreciated and valued them more.

Jags Fan Dan
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I collect Mark Brunell stuff, mostly Jaguars. I occasionally will sell an item that I am replacing with a different item. Case in point, I recently sold an autographed full size Huskies helmet because I got an autographed throw- back Jaguars helmet and I just don't really have the space for another helmet. Plus buying another display case costs almost as much as the hlemt I am putting in it, which is a bummer!

thomecollector
09-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I have been known on occasion to sell an item ,or two. It turns out that there is usually an item that I want more. Since I'm not a Rockefeller, I must make a choice. I too have certain items that I never plan to move. Sorry,Bob. No pants for you.:D

skyking26
09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I have been known on occasion to sell an item ,or two. It turns out that there is usually an item that I want more. Since I'm not a Rockefeller, I must make a choice. I too have certain items that I never plan to move. Sorry,Bob. No pants for you.:D
But, but, but Roger..........................:eek:

murfsteve25
09-06-2009, 09:28 PM
This is a great topic. My main guy is David Justice. Any of his items are strictly off limits and remain in my collection.

I also collect other teams/players but not as die hard about them as DJ. Any other items I have are always open for sale or trade...except for my Arod bat. I may buy an item that i like but later down the road decide to trade or sell it. thats always a possibility except for the DJ items.

whatupyos
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I collect several player, none of which I plan to sell. The top two being McGwire and Byrnesie. With those two players all I have to say is: from my cold dead hands!! :) :) :)

Swoboda4
09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
What do I do? I check e-bay every day for items on Mets game used/worn, Robin Ventura,Swoboda,Viola,Dave Mlicki,Jay Payton,Bill Madlock,Van Slyke,etc. I wouldn't sell the Ventura,Viola,Swoboda,Mlicki stuff, the rest, who knows. It's funny how there are items that are so important to get and then once obtained you say what did I do that for?

WadeInBmore
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I primarily collect Frank Thomas and typically obsess over it when given the right opprotunity...scanning auction houses, ebay, and this site almost religously. Any Thomas item I get goes into my vault and locked away or put on display in my house. I have recently been trying to branch out and collect other items that I find to be interesting and fun...however Thomas items still seem to make me the happiest all around. I really enjoy focusing my collecting efforts on one person and feel that I do a decent job obsessing over it :) Enjoy your collecting...I see myself as being very fortunate to partake in such an amazing hobby that hasn't been discovered by everybody and their brother just yet.

wade

dcrules01
09-07-2009, 12:29 AM
What do I do? I check e-bay every day for items on Mets game used/worn, Robin Ventura,Swoboda,Viola,Dave Mlicki,Jay Payton,Bill Madlock,Van Slyke,etc. I wouldn't sell the Ventura,Viola,Swoboda,Mlicki stuff, the rest, who knows. It's funny how there are items that are so important to get and then once obtained you say what did I do that for?

Yeah even though you say never if you ever part with your Ventura Gamer I want 1st dibs..:D

NEFAN
09-07-2009, 07:36 AM
As a Patriots collector since 1972, I have boxes and boxes of items I no longer have room to show. I used to put up anything with the Patriots logo on it as I couldn't afford the better stuff. When I was able to afford game used and autographed articles I put alot of the cheaper stuff away. I give alot of that away to kids who are fans.

When I was in Iraq in 06/07 I sold some jerseys to help finance a car on my return. I have regretted that ever since and would not do it again. I did try to sell a game presentation ball of a player I had 2 of. It did not come close to my price so I gave it to a fellow fan who hooks me up with game tix whenever I can get up there.

metsbats
09-07-2009, 07:39 AM
I've aquired many duplicate 86 Met, Gary Carter, Mike Piazza, and Ed Hearn bats during the years and have sold some to other collectors who needed them in their collections or to finance purchases of Met post season bats which is the new focus of my collecting.

stlbats
10-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Just looking to see who all only collects a certain team or if you collect teams and other teams players bats, jerseys, ect. Or if you just collect random players all together?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

CampWest
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I collect mostly Kansas City Royals (70s and 80s players - Frank White, Amos Otis, McRae, Willie Wilson, etc) and some of the current young stars/prospects (Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas). But I also collect some of my favorites from other teams, Bagwell, Berkman, Gwynn, hopefully add a Ramirez, Biggio and Thome at some point.

SkubeBats
10-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I only collect Milwaukee Braves & Brewers game used equipment. My collection is based on the 1957 Braves and the 1982 Brewers team.

nomarmauerfan
10-13-2010, 08:55 PM
I mainly collect Justin Morneau bats (my favorite current player). However, I also have a few Don Mattingly's (my favorite as a teenager), a Larry Bowa (my favorite as a child), a few Joe Mauer's (just because he's a Twin and he's Joe Mauer), and David Wright and Evan Longoria (because I met both and they both are super-nice people). However, all I collect are GU bats.

Mike

Fnazxc0114
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Only collect rangers main guys hamilton/kinsler/young/andrus and have some feliz holland g/u jerseys. Also buy rangers g/u gloves when they come available.

flota89
10-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I collect recent Cardinals bats and other game used items, but would possibly venture out for a favorite player of another team.

spartakid
10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I collect sort of randomly, most of the guys I collect are modern "stars" but then there are players who i just really like Rose, Gwynn, etc. who's bats I have as well.

d4347
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I collect only New York Mets jerseys, specifically 1990 to 2004, and I'm always looking to buy.

Masimen
10-13-2010, 09:59 PM
NY Yankees!

camarokids
10-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Devil Rays/Rays team signed baseballs, game used bats, hats, batting helmets, some jerseys and fielding gloves.....

Braves game used bats from the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's

Pirates game used bats from players I met in the 1990's

Plus a few misc. bats....

Also started collecting vintage tumbler glass's and misc. vintage souvenir stuff.

AWA85
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
1990's to present Cincinnati Reds is my focus with a few Reds prospects mixed in there. Numerous times I have thought about diving into Hall of Fame players and bats, but for haven't taken the plunge and may not otherwise there may never be an end to my collection and spending.

godwulf
10-13-2010, 11:39 PM
My team is the Diamondbacks, and I've been collecting since they began play in '98. I collect everything DBacks, from Single-A prospects to retired vets like Matt Williams and Luis Gonzalez, to active players like Stephen Drew and Mark Reynolds. With some players (like Matty and Gonzo) I also collect their stuff from other teams...but in recent years I've gotten away from collecting other-team items from every DBacks player - it was getting ridiculous.

I will also follow the post-DBacks career of certain favorite players into retirement and coaching; for instance, I just obtained (via team auction) a red jersey worn by former Diamondback and current Charleston Riverdogs manager Greg Colbrunn during every Friday home game this past season.

The only Yankees item permitted in my collection is a jersey worn by a young Mike Morgan in 1982, 'cause MoMan is cool. :cool:

solarlottry
10-14-2010, 01:23 AM
As most of you know who frequent the GUU threads-i collect only 49ers GU. Mostly jerseys but have a few GU footballs, hats, gloves etc. I collect from 1981 to the present but my main focus is the 1994 SB team. My goal is to have a home and away shirt from every starter on that team. It has not been easy to do. I have at least one shirt from every starter except Dennis Brown, Derrick Deese, Lee Woodall, Marc Logan and one or two more.

I also collect certain players from 1981 to the present including Montana, Lott (who i am missing), Craig, Haley, Rathmann etc.

It has been a fun 16 years of collecting these shirts but i am always looking for more!

I always offer $$$$$ for any quality 49ers shirts especially shirts with team letters regardless of player. Please email if you have anything of interest.

thanks
paul

garciajones@yahoo.com

geoff
10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
I collect Baltimore Orioles mostly.Players like Brian Roberts-Matt Wieters-Nolan Reimold-Nick Markakis-Kevin Millar-Adam Jones And other Orioles Players As well New Or Older Orioles.I have Bats-Batting Gloves-Cleats-Fielding Gloves-Wristbands-Autographs-Etc.Always On The Lookout For Anything Orioles As many on here that know me.

Thanks
Geoff

geof631@yahoo.com

Neal
10-14-2010, 05:15 AM
I collect Phillies only, mainly because I am an addict and need to control myself. Once I pick up a non Phillies bat, it's all over for me.

platinum1
10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Well I only collect White Sox game used jerseys.
The older the better

dcgreg25
10-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I primarily collect Cleveland Indians items 1980-present. I have a few player collections going of former Indians (Victor Martinez, Kenny Lofton, CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee and Omar Vizquel)

My football collection consists of Cleveland Browns, Washington Redskins and NFL jerseys of Notre Dame alumni.

suave1477
10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
I collect:

DARRYL STRAWBERRY DARRYL STRAWBERRY DARRYL STRAWBERRY

ALSO YANKEES - ESPECIALLY POSADA

and a few other random semi star players for fun - Example I have bats of Sosa, Soriano, Tom Glavine, David Ortiz, and a Ramon Castro Mothers day bat.

By the way did I mention DARRYL STRAWBERRY???:D

zooat2
10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
- Only Yankees, Redskins and Islanders...

woody1351
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I collect Dolphins, Rams, some cardinals baseball, racing(nascar, irl, WoO, F1) if it was neat or cheap and anyone that went to Western Illinois University.

cliffjmp33
10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I have tried to be a little into both. Have a few items from the Phillies and Yankees and also collect Mariano Rivera. Looking for Steve Tasker items (grew up in Buffalo and still a huge fan despite their current state), but haven't found much of anything and few things I have couldn't be confirmed as GU.

vdsporty25
10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I have collected many different players and teams gear the last few years but I keep coming back to my favorite....Dustin Pedroia. Had to narrow it down to one guy for the simple fact there are too many cool items out there that I just can't say no to if I collect everybody!!!:rolleyes:

Tyrcha
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I only collect Chicago Bears GU stuff (mostly linemen) and on rare occasion lower end Chicago Cubs items.

gaytorhater703
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Lsu Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

rdeversole
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
The focus of my collection would be team based: Cincinnati Reds. But within that, I collect certain current/former Reds players, not all. Right now mainly:

Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Eric Davis
Travis Wood
Mike Leake
Jonny Gomes
Kevin Mitchell
Jeff Keppinger
Adam Rosales

75% of my collection/buying habits are Reds, 25% individual other players I like such as:

Josh Willingham - THE HAMMER
Jorge Cantu
Pedro Alvarez
Ryan Doumit
Chad Bradford

LastingsMilledge85
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I collect:

DARRYL STRAWBERRY DARRYL STRAWBERRY DARRYL STRAWBERRY

ALSO YANKEES - ESPECIALLY POSADA

and a few other random semi star players for fun - Example I have bats of Sosa, Soriano, Tom Glavine, David Ortiz, and a Ramon Castro Mothers day bat.

By the way did I mention DARRYL STRAWBERRY???:D

Suave, a bit random...but have you been to Darryl's Sports Grille by any chance?

suave1477
10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Suave, a bit random...but have you been to Darryl's Sports Grille by any chance?

No unfortunately I havent. I been so tied up with work lately I havent had much time of anything. But I was actually planning on making a stop there possibly this weekend. A couple of members from here went there and said it was pretty cool.

commando
10-15-2010, 12:08 AM
As far as game used goes, the Houston Gamblers are still it for me.

I do collect Andy Pettitte cards, because we went to high school together in Deer Park, Texas!

B1SON
10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Long time no see guys! Still collecting Bison graduates....Joe Mays Broncos/Eagles, Craig Dahl Giants/Rams, Lamar Gordon Rams/Eagles/Dolphins, Tyrone Braxton Broncos, Phil Hansen Bills, and Stacy Robinson Giants...too name a few. :D

UGA016
10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I only collect Georgia Bulldog Game used items. I have found that the college game used stuff is so much harder to aquire than the Nfl and MLB...especially now with the AJ Green thing. Imagine that my collection may take a hit in the future but I have made some pretty good friend inside the UGA AThl. Dept. I say if you collect a player or team..go for it. I love seeing and hearing about so many of your collections. I wanted to collect Matthew Stafford Jersey and Helmet. Finally have the home and away gamers and just picked up one of his game helmets. I feel pretty lucky.

UGA016
10-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Commando..as to flipping the teams items ..YES.. I have also done this in order to obtain better items. I have even traded 2 items for one. Depending on what player and item it is. I did that with a Marcus Howard signed gamer and a Fred Gibson Gamer for a David Pollack Home gamer with a ton of use. One of my favorite pieces.

tigerfan4
10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I Collect LSU Game Used Items!!! 40 plus Jerseys, Helmets, etc.

Always looking to Buy or Trade my non-LSU sports items for LSU game items.

Email: djamesdlaw@yahoo.com

panthrotc
10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I collect several player, none of which I plan to sell. The top two being McGwire and Byrnesie. With those two players all I have to say is: from my cold dead hands!! :) :) :)

Same here. I will never part with any of it.
I actually prefer his gear from the a's as he was the reason they were my favorite team. Here is my mac gu stuff

Bats - top to bottom. (the 97 is currently in illinois waiting to get signed at a upcoming signing

1990/1996/1997/1998/2001

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/o001-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mac96-01.jpg

1995 cleats / inscribed 9/20/95. He hit career HR #272 in them

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/Cleats001.jpg

Circa 95' game worn sweat stained cap
Got them from a seller who said he got the hat along with a gu cleat that was inscribed 95'. Im assuming they came as a set

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/McgwireST008.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/McgwireST012.jpg

Game worn batting glove

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/glove.jpg

1998 Game Issued Jersey

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire019.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire018.jpg

panthrotc
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Evan longoria collection

08 gloves
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/gloves.jpg

08 hat

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/pictures015.jpg

08 bat
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/longo008.jpg

09 jersey
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/99ff7570-1.jpg

09 photomatched helmet
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/LongoSigning003-1.jpg