PDA

View Full Version : Seaver jersey on eBay

Metsfan808
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I was hoping that someone can help me out with this. I am thinking about making an offer on this jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250491314154&Category=60597&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I have asked the seller for pictures of the back of the jersey but I really do not know anything about the tagging on this jersey. For all the Mets collectors does this look legit?? Do you see any issues that would concern you about this jersey?? Is the size correct?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

suave1477
09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I am not a Mets Jersey expert. A great person to ask esepcially when it comes to Mets Blue/bp/Alternate Jersey from the 80's is TNToy

I will say this is always bothers me when a Jersey is supposed to be Game Used esepcially from years ago and the tags look crisp and clean.

Again esepcially from years ago when players did not have an abundance of Jerseys and had to use the same jerseys through out most of a season and where they would see a lot of washings.

So just by looking at the pics they posted (the one of the tags) they look new, crisp, & clean.
I am not saying it is fake by any stretch of the word, but it is something to consider when looking at a Jersey especially from back then and before.

Rob L
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
BTW, the jersey on the card is not the same jersey. The "4" doesn't line up correctly under the "TS" in Mets.

LHG39
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I am a little late on this, but the name on back is way too small.
This is a picture of a 1983 Seaver that was on ebay about 6 years ago. Also 1983 home alt blue set 1. This one had the name done correctly, though, and appears to show some wear. I didn't buy it, but wish I had.

LHG39
09-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Of note, the jersey was just re-listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250497696989

Given that the one that I posted below is also labeled 1983 set 1, one of them is a forgery (if not both). I believe the labels on the one I posted below show some wear, and the name on back looks correct, whereas this one does not, and the claim is that it was "restored". I do not understand why a jersey that was only worn a handful of times would need to have a restored name.

That said, I like this jersey as a replica ala Mitchell and Ness, and would like to have it in my collection for a reasonable price for a replica, meaning under $400.

TNTtoys
09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I do not understand why a jersey that was only worn a handful of times would need to have a restored name.

Restoration of these types of jerseys have nothing to do with the number of times a jersey was worn. In fact I have come across many restored Mets jerseys that show no use at all.

Mets jerseys of this era are normally found "restored" because they stripped the nameplates off of their game jerseys at the end of the season and shipped them to the minor leagues. When these jerseys resurfaced years later, nameplates with NOBs cut in the same sizes and fonts as the original letters were placed on them and many were sold that way.

LHG39
09-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Restoration of these types of jerseys have nothing to do with the number of times a jersey was worn. In fact I have come across many restored Mets jerseys that show no use at all.

Mets jerseys of this era are normally found "restored" because they stripped the nameplates off of their game jerseys at the end of the season and shipped them to the minor leagues. When these jerseys resurfaced years later, nameplates with NOBs cut in the same sizes and fonts as the original letters were placed on them and many were sold that way.

OK, but then there are still at least 2 set 1 1983 home alt jerseys out there. Do you think the one on ebay is the real one?

Metsfan808
09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I am a little late on this, but the name on back is way too small.
This is a picture of a 1983 Seaver that was on ebay about 6 years ago. Also 1983 home alt blue set 1. This one had the name done correctly, though, and appears to show some wear. I didn't buy it, but wish I had.

Thanks for the info, one question on that jersey you posted, shouldn't the name be on a nameplate?? If you look at the first picture you can see that the name is sewn on directly to the jersey.

I asked the seller for pics of the back and then he put them on the listing, originally the listing did not have the picture of the back of the jersey. I have been trying to find pics of Seaver wearing this type of jersey but I have not been able to find any. I was told that those thinner letters were used for players with 8 or more letters in their last names and when I saw the name on the back I decided not to make an offer.

LHG39
09-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Very tough one. The nameplate may be an issue, but again, this one was restored, so who knows what it initially had. According to Bill Henderson there should be a nameplate, but this is such a rarely used jersey with so few out there, that does anybody know for sure that nameplates were consistently used in 1982 and 1983? Perhaps the one I posted also had a name restoration done with the name restored directly on back. As I said, I did not buy that one, I just saved the pictures as it was the first time that I had seen such a Seaver jersey since I saw one just like it at a baseball card show at Madison Square Garden in 1988 or 89. Back then the asking price was only $700. I guess we just have to see how high this one goes.

TNTtoys
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info, one question on that jersey you posted, shouldn't the name be on a nameplate?? If you look at the first picture you can see that the name is sewn on directly to the jersey.

I asked the seller for pics of the back and then he put them on the listing, originally the listing did not have the picture of the back of the jersey. I have been trying to find pics of Seaver wearing this type of jersey but I have not been able to find any. I was told that those thinner letters were used for players with 8 or more letters in their last names and when I saw the name on the back I decided not to make an offer.

Carmelo,

1. You are correct, the name should be on a nameplate. If the jersey from 6 years ago had no nameplate, then at very best, it is not "all original."

2. The thinner letters were used for names of 7 characters or longer.... however, both rules should apply with the Seaver jersey.

Both jerseys were likely restored, as I have never come across a 1983 alternate that has not had its nameplate stripped off and was recycled thru the minors.

It seems that both restorations have their fair share of issues... but the restoration work should not determine the authenticity of the jerseys.

Nick

TNTtoys
09-13-2009, 01:14 PM
According to Bill Henderson there should be a nameplate, but this is such a rarely used jersey with so few out there, that does anybody know for sure that nameplates were consistently used in 1982 and 1983?

Fact - the Mets used nameplates on every single blue alternate jersey they wore on field (1982-1984). In fact, the Mets had NOBs on nameplates on every game jersey (home, road, alternate) from 1979 through 1986. They did not have names on back prior to 1979; they had names sewn directly onto the jerseys from 1987 and onwards.

TNTtoys
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
OK, but then there are still at least 2 set 1 1983 home alt jerseys out there. Do you think the one on ebay is the real one?

This theory would only hold water if the teams were issued 1 and only 1 Set 1 jersey in every style for a given year. I do not think that this is a true statement, as I have seen multiple Set 1 and Set 2 Mets jerseys of the same style for this era.

I do not have enough information to determine if the one on ebay is the "real one" or one of the real ones. I have provided information to the seller regarding the technical detail behind the restoration.

flaco1801
09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
did the shirts go to tidewater and later, if still useable make it to AA ball? thanks, jeff... did st. lucie use recycled shirts?

LHG39
09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, so much for letting the auction run its' course and letting the collecting community determine what it is worth!