PDA

View Full Version : MLB "Authenticators" at each game....for what, exactly???

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Interesting tidbit for you all to consider...

I was at the Dodger game last night. Manny hit a deep towering home run ball to dead center. It hit the corner of the tarped (covered) seats in center. A nice young lady was able to beat the rush to the ball....with a "push" assist from a family member, and she ended up with it.

I worked my way over to her to see if she was interested in selling it. Turns out she is a true fan, and wants to keep it for life. I am thrilled she ended up with the ball.

Once I learned that she wouldn't sell it for ANY amount of money (I offered her $300.00 at first, went up to $1,000.00, then realized it wasn't about money with her.....she just wanted to keep it forever), I changed into my nice "fellow-collector" mode and talked to her and her family.

I got the guard stationed at the bottom of the stairs to call over a Dodger representative. I told her to ask the rep that would be coming to have the MLB Authenticator, present at every major league game, to place a sticker on the ball. I explained to her about the tamper-proof sticker, how it's numbered, and that it could be viewed on MLB's website at any time that details the fact that this was Manny's 543rd career home run ball, and it would always be in their database. She and her family had no idea that this was a possibility, and thanked me for the help.

In the meantime, the Dodger "picture people" took pictures of her and her family, happily holding the home run ball. The ball, by the way, had a nice "tarp" mark on it where it hit the covered seats. Unquestionably the ball Manny hit, not to mention the fact she's all over MLB.com and the Dodger site retrieving the ball.

So the rep shows up, and asks her to come with him to the Dodger office. He escourts her off. About a full inning later, she comes back. Here's what happened:

She has a disappointed look on her face as she explained to us that "The Dodgers wouldn't have the sticker placed on the ball because she wasn't going to give the ball to the Dodgers organization."

They told her they only authenticated items they would keep, place in their vault, and eventually showcase in their "Dodger Museum" they plan on opening soon.

Nice.

Classy.

One of the biggest money-making organizations in MLB won't even throw a bone to a happy fan and rightfully authenticate Manny's 543rd career homer for the lucky fan who ended up with it, with thousands of witnesses, video tape of the event for all eternity, and an unquestionable "mark" that could have only come from a spinning ball making contact with the "tarp".....all the time never leaving the area she retrieved the ball.

I mean.....if they won't authenticate that ball.....then why bother being there at all?

This brings to light the fact that this MLB authentication "service" is nothing more than a fabricated personal authentication service used specifically for the owners own benefit, and really nothing more. Yes, it's nice that they authenticate certain items to be cherished for eternity, but if they won't authenticate for the fans, then what good are they? I mean, it's the FANS that pay all of the salaries, the bills........what am I missing here?

I am disgusted.....thoroughly.....but not surprised. As I was lucky and able to pry Manny's 521st (Ted Williams, Willie McCovey, and Frank Thomas tying career home run ball, also giving him on the NOSE his 12th 100-RBI season, leaving his second only to Lou Gehrig's and Babe Ruth's 13-100 RBI seasons) out of the vault and hands of the Dodger organization with the help of the family who caught it, I experienced this first hand last year. I asked them to authenticate it with a sticker. They told me they hadn't had time to do it yet, and (sour-grapes like) explained to me that now, since it was leaving their hands, they wouldn't be able to.

Nice, Dodgers.......great management. Again, real classy.

I understand this may be a "park to park" policy, and it may be different, but please, share your experiences. I think it's a crime that MLB doesn't help out the fan base with a placing a sticker on a nice piece like this, especially when there is NO QUESTION as to it's authenticity. It's not the girl ran to the bathroom and had a chance to change out the ball with another one, or something rediculous like that.

In any case, in light of this "use".....or in my opinion, mis-use of MLB's authentication service, what are your thoughts?

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
TYPO....last sentence, sorry! :o

"It's not the girl ran to the bathroom and had a chance to change out the ball with another one, or something rediculous like that."......

Should read.....

"It's not LIKE the girl ran to the bathroom and had a chance to change out the ball with another one, or something rediculous like that."

murfsteve25
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
ya i agree. its not like their needed every day. A manny home run is kinda a big deal considering he's now above the 500 mark and his popularity.

zookerman182
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
If she could have gotten that ball mlb holo'd it would be one of the most saught after manny pieces ever, so its not like they are just slapping a sticker on a manny broken bat. I dont know how many manny hr balls have this much proof or being the actual ball let alone have an mlb hologram on them.

Now after saying that, i do think its a ratty move by the dodgers and i would be mad too. But then again, i still caught a home run ball so i wouldnt be too upset.

When you pay for your ticket does it say "you also have the right to get any foul ball, home run ball, or bat that flies into the stands immediately autheticated by an mlb representative" I dont think it does so the dodgers dont owe anyone anything.

Would it have been a nice thing for the Dodgers to do? Sure. Are they entitled to do it? Nope.

xpress34
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
SS -

Just paraphrasing (or spinning the story if you like :rolleyes: ) this section to make a point...

"The Dodgers wouldn't have the sticker placed on the ball because she wasn't going to give the ball to the Dodgers organization."

They told her they only authenticated items they would keep, place in their vault, and eventually showcase in their "Dodger Museum" they plan on opening soon.

So exactly WHEN is this 'Dodger Museum' opening? I would think long time Dodger fans would have heard of it or talked about it on the boards before...

That said, this is just another example of MLB and its teams screwing the PAYING fans... I'm certain the Dodgers would ONLY cert the ball if it was staying in their organization so they could SELL it in their team auction site... I doubt the balkl would have ever seen the light of day in this 'Dodger Museum'...

Just my .02

- Chris

lehmsbobby
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Is there a place where the authenticators are set up at AT&T park?

just wondering.... in the case that I catch a home run ball one day

zookerman182
09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
i also just saw the replay and the ball landed on the tarp and didnt move from the tarp. Therefore someone had to take it off the tarp or get hoisted up to get the ball. Maybe if the ball lands in a spot where the fans cant get it, it becomes property of the team. For instance a bullpen or the old black seats or other nooks over the outfield walls at other ball parks. By the looks of where the ball landed it must have taken quite an opperation to get that ball.

joelsabi
09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

I was at the Dodger game last night. Manny hit a deep towering home run ball to dead center. It hit the corner of the tarped (covered) seats in center. A nice young lady was able to beat the rush to the ball....with a "push" assist from a family member, and she ended up with it.

I worked my way over to her to see if she was interested in selling it. Turns out she is a true fan, and wants to keep it for life. I am thrilled she ended up with the ball.

Once I learned that she wouldn't sell it for ANY amount of money (I offered her $300.00 at first, went up to $1,000.00, then realized it wasn't about money with her.....she just wanted to keep it forever), I changed into my nice "fellow-collector" mode and talked to her and her family.

I got the guard stationed at the bottom of the stairs to call over a Dodger representative. I told her to ask the rep that would be coming to have the MLB Authenticator, present at every major league game, to place a sticker on the ball. I explained to her about the tamper-proof sticker, how it's numbered, and that it could be viewed on MLB's website at any time that details the fact that this was Manny's 543rd career home run ball, and it would always be in their database. She and her family had no idea that this was a possibility, and thanked me for the help.

In the meantime, the Dodger "picture people" took pictures of her and her family, happily holding the home run ball. The ball, by the way, had a nice "tarp" mark on it where it hit the covered seats. Unquestionably the ball Manny hit, not to mention the fact she's all over MLB.com and the Dodger site retrieving the ball.

So the rep shows up, and asks her to come with him to the Dodger office. He escourts her off. About a full inning later, she comes back. Here's what happened:

She has a disappointed look on her face as she explained to us that "The Dodgers wouldn't have the sticker placed on the ball because she wasn't going to give the ball to the Dodgers organization."

Nice.

Classy.

One of the biggest money-making organizations in MLB won't even throw a bone to a happy fan and rightfully authenticate Manny's 543rd career homer for the lucky fan who ended up with it, with thousands of witnesses, video tape of the event for all eternity, and an unquestionable "mark" that could have only come from a spinning ball making contact with the "tarp".....all the time never leaving the area she retrieved the ball.

I mean.....if they won't authenticate that ball.....then why bother being there at all?

This brings to light the fact that this MLB authentication "service" is nothing more than a fabricated personal authentication service used specifically for the owners own benefit, and really nothing more. Yes, it's nice that they authenticate certain items to be cherished for eternity, but if they won't authenticate for the fans, then what good are they? I mean, it's the FANS that pay all of the salaries, the bills........what am I missing here?

I am disgusted.....thoroughly.....but not surprised. As I was lucky and able to pry Manny's 521st (Ted Williams, Willie McCovey, and Frank Thomas tying career home run ball, also giving him on the NOSE his 12th 100-RBI season, leaving his second only to Lou Gehrig's and Babe Ruth's 13-100 RBI seasons) out of the vault and hands of the Dodger organization with the help of the family who caught it, I experienced this first hand last year. I asked them to authenticate it with a sticker. They told me they hadn't had time to do it yet, and (sour-grapes like) explained to me that now, since it was leaving their hands, they wouldn't be able to.

Nice, Dodgers.......great management. Again, real classy.

I understand this may be a "park to park" policy, and it may be different, but please, share your experiences. I think it's a crime that MLB doesn't help out the fan base with a placing a sticker on a nice piece like this, especially when there is NO QUESTION as to it's authenticity. It's not the girl ran to the bathroom and had a chance to change out the ball with another one, or something rediculous like that.

In any case, in light of this "use".....or in my opinion, mis-use of MLB's authentication service, what are your thoughts?

if there is video of her on mlb.com isnt that proof enough. i would think that would be convincing enough evidence if she later decided to sell the baseball. never say never.

so if i catch a foul ball from my favorite dodger rafael furcal and they show an instant reply of the catch on the jumbotron, the dodger authentication team wound not authenticate as such? sounds greedy to me.

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 02:41 PM
If she could have gotten that ball mlb holo'd it would be one of the most saught after manny pieces ever, so its not like they are just slapping a sticker on a manny broken bat. I dont know how many manny hr balls have this much proof or being the actual ball let alone have an mlb hologram on them.

Now after saying that, i do think its a ratty move by the dodgers and i would be mad too. But then again, i still caught a home run ball so i wouldnt be too upset.

When you pay for your ticket does it say "you also have the right to get any foul ball, home run ball, or bat that flies into the stands immediately autheticated by an mlb representative" I dont think it does so the dodgers dont owe anyone anything.

Would it have been a nice thing for the Dodgers to do? Sure. Are they entitled to do it? Nope.

zookerman182,

I believe you are placing way too much stock in a MLB authentication sricker. Yes, they are nice to have on an item, but they do not "make" the item one of the most sought after (Manny, or whoever) items ever. That's way too bold an over-estimation.

There are actually much better ways to "authenticate" an item, none better than being there, being recorded on video of the actual game footage, getting signed letters of affidavits (for any item obtained) while at the game with on-hand witnesses who also sign the letter and supply phone numbers for later call-back verification, by taking pictures of the actual event while you are there, having your ticket stub for that area of the park on the date that the so-called item was obtained......I mean there are LOTS of ways of proving something is what it is, without that MLB sticker.

The point here is......It appears MLB authentication is snubbing the fans.....the very ones who pay all the bills for MLB, and it is of my opinion that that is dead wrong. Shame on the Dodgers, any other MLB franchise, and MLB in general for not having a more fan-based service set-up to properly authenticate each and every one of these little pieces of "MLB history" for anyone who is lucky enough to obtain one.

I mean......wouldn't doing something positive for the fans only increase excitement about the sport, about being there?.....about spending money to go to a game if you knew you might walk away with a little piece of history? Isn't that a large part of promoting the game itself? Creating good feelings towards it, while generating more interest in it's fan base (who pays the salaries and everything else)???

The way appears to be, now, is just a money-generating aid for the ownership or management of the local franchise, while they waste a golden opportunity to do something really worthwhile for the fans of the game.

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
if there is video of her on mlb.com isnt that proof enough. i would think that would be convincing enough evidence if she later decided to sell the baseball. never say never.

so if i catch a foul ball from my favorite dodger rafael furcal and they show an instant reply of the catch on the jumbotron, the dodger authentication team wound not authenticate as such? sounds greedy to me.

I totally agree with you (was typing essentially the same thing at the same time as you, apparently).

My argument is why shove the "MLB Authentication!" garbage in our face if you aren't going to extend it to the fan base in cases where it's practical and obvious. That's a s#!tty way to treat the people who pay the bills and make this sport what it is financially.

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
SS -

Just paraphrasing (or spinning the story if you like :rolleyes: ) this section to make a point...

So exactly WHEN is this 'Dodger Museum' opening? I would think long time Dodger fans would have heard of it or talked about it on the boards before...

That said, this is just another example of MLB and its teams screwing the PAYING fans... I'm certain the Dodgers would ONLY cert the ball if it was staying in their organization so they could SELL it in their team auction site... I doubt the balkl would have ever seen the light of day in this 'Dodger Museum'...

Just my .02

- Chris

Chris,

In direct answer to your question, it was the Vice President of Public Relations who mentioned it to me in person. He had told the family who came back to Dodger Stadium with me to argue to get Manny's 521st home run ball back that that's what they planned to do with the ball.

While there, this VP "Lon" stated it again. He specifically mentioned it would be open in "2009". I don't know when, and I don't know if the plan to open it is on schedule or not. I don't even know where the location will be, although he mentioned it will be on the Dodger Stadium location.

But that said, to be honest, I don't care. The reason I don't care, is because it'll open when it opens, and when it does, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I'm doing my absolute best to try and obtain a few home run balls by players I want them from, and the biggest obstacle I run into is the DODGER management.

It's a real bummer when you do everything you can in your power to get to a fan who caught a ball, only to be beat to the punch by the very organization who runs the joint.....they have a built-in unfair advantages since they have "Dodger personel" and security posted everywhere. Then to find out they gave the fan essentially "nothing" for what you were fighting so hard to obtain......man, that's a tough pill to swallow. They drag the fan off, woo them with their bulls#!t and offer them "play-off and World Series tickets" while showing them the inner "guts" and circles of Dodger Stadium.......just so they end up with the collectible the fan has. The fans, overcome by all of the "woo-ing", always break down and "give-in" and give the Dodgers what they want. It doesn't occur to them that the Dodgers haven't "locked up" a play-off spot, or may not even MAKE the World Series.

The whole thing is wrong. But that's just me.

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
i also just saw the replay and the ball landed on the tarp and didnt move from the tarp. Therefore someone had to take it off the tarp or get hoisted up to get the ball. Maybe if the ball lands in a spot where the fans cant get it, it becomes property of the team. For instance a bullpen or the old black seats or other nooks over the outfield walls at other ball parks. By the looks of where the ball landed it must have taken quite an opperation to get that ball.

zookerman182,

It was a piece of cake getting the ball.

It hit the tarp, and rolled just to the end where it almost fell over the edge of the tarp covering the seats. There is a concrete path in front of the first row of seats that she ran about 10 feet to get to the ball as others were closing in on top of the tarp. She beat them to the ball. She was sitting in the second row, right on the aisle. Look at the video again, she was wearing a white t-shirt. She was assisted by a family friend/member who grabbed her arm and threw her in the direction of the ball. That made the difference....

Lokee
09-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Here is what is posted on the MLB Authentication site

"Major League Baseball uses a third party authenticator at each and every game, who witnesses all items that received a signature or that were removed from the field. Every item, once witnessed, will receive a sequentially numbered, tamper-proof hologram created by OpSec, U.S. to easily identify its Major League Baseball authenticity."

So take that for what is is worth.

If MLB is using it for it's auctions to generate money you bet your bottom dollar it will be holo'ed.

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Here is what is posted on the MLB Authentication site

"Major League Baseball uses a third party authenticator at each and every game, who witnesses all items that received a signature or that were removed from the field. Every item, once witnessed, will receive a sequentially numbered, tamper-proof hologram created by OpSec, U.S. to easily identify its Major League Baseball authenticity."

So take that for what is is worth.

If MLB is using it for it's auctions to generate money you bet your bottom dollar it will be holo'ed.

Lokee,

And that's their right. But on the few identifiable items taken from the ballfield like a home run ball.......why not take it one step further and authenticate the iron-clad items with those stickers for the few fans thaqt are lucky enough to obtain one?

I mean.....is it me? Would it be that much of a stretch to show you care for the fans paying for MLB's existence, especially when there is an authenticator present at every single game?? The "cost" of the authenticator is already paid for.....so show a bit of class and care for the fans.

I just think this would add a whole new dimension to the sport of MLB and a connection with fans......instead of the same old treatment http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/hang.gif

markize
09-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Lokee,

And that's their right. But on the few identifiable items taken from the ballfield like a home run ball.......why not take it one step further and authenticate the iron-clad items with those stickers for the few fans thaqt are lucky enough to obtain one?

I mean.....is it me? Would it be that much of a stretch to show you care for the fans paying for MLB's existence, especially when there is an authenticator present at every single game?? The "cost" of the authenticator is already paid for.....so show a bit of class and care for the fans.

I just think this would add a whole new dimension to the sport of MLB and a connection with fans......instead of the same old treatment http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/hang.gif

Steve,

the problem is that you're assuming MLB cares after you buy that ticket. They see authenticating a home run baseball as increasing your profit should you choose to sell it. If the demand is high enough down the road for authentication, I could see a fee being tacked on. The rich get richer!

I say what the hell, give the fans a freebie. Not everyone is looking to make big cash off a game used baseball as some are (insert your favorite dealer or ballhawk, etc here). You are evidence of that my friend!

Mark

jobathenut
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
I did'nt read all the post on this thread so i don't know if it's already been said.But i don't understand why you would need to have mlb authenticate it if you intend to keep it.I mean you caught it so why would you need them to prove it to you.That to me is for if you are willing to sell it to someone.And i can almost guarentee she is kicking herself for not selling it for the $1,000.True fan or not,i would sell a jeter home run ball for that or a alex rodriguez ball for that and i consider myself a true yankees fan.I understand that the woman had no idea about that service.But i have to side with the dodgers on this,why authenticate it for someone else.I already assummed they only authenticate thier own items.I did'nt think you could go up to them to have that done at games.:)

xpress34
09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I already assummed they only authenticate thier own items.I did'nt think you could go up to them to have that done at games.:)

Joba -

Your statement kind of sums it up in a round about way...

IF she had given the ball up to the Dodgers - it would have been Authenticated 'ON THE SPOT'.

BUT, since she chose to keep it, they can't or won't Authenticate it??? Sounds like BS to me.

We (The Dodgers) will authenticate it to help ourselves if WE choose to sell it, but SCREW YOU FANS! Now id you choose to sell it, (other than copying ALL of the Video Evidence and 'word of mouth') you have ZERO proof that this ball is what you say it is.

There basically telling the fan - You're lying to us. Unless you GIVE us the ball - then we believe every word you said.

The whole situation just stinks.

My .02

- Chris

allstarsplus
09-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Like it or not, MLB has a rule on Home Run ball authentication that the authenticator has to see the actual ball the entire time which means going from hit in the air to where it lands without losing sight of it or have it pre-marked which to me is the way to do it and how they did most of the record breaking Bonds HR balls.

An authenticator told me during his training they showed a video of a guy catching a HR ball and then you could see him putting it into his pocket. From his other pocket he grabbed another ball and threw it back on the field.

Here is my solution. The authenticator before the game should either put an invisible dye or numerical code on the ball and keep track of HR balls and give a courtesy MLB hologram.

The Tigers have an authenticator in their bullpen retrieving HR balls but most teams don't even do that. The Nationals use to do it at RFK Stadium but don't do it at the new stadium because the bullpens don't get many HR balls.

coxfan
09-05-2009, 10:32 AM
She was right to turn down the $1,000 if she valued the ball. Although my wife and I are retired and have no debts ( mortgages are all paid off), we still average roughly $1,000 a week to live. That amount's thus a pittance for a rare historical artifact of enduring value, as that HR ball is. ( And my wife agrees).