PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted "bonus" in eBay shipment

sox83cubs84
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I will not call out the seller of this instance by name, as he is a guy I get along with and with whom I have no axe to grind. Still, the "extra" inside my package wouldn't have much value to anyone...unless it came from Luis Gonzalez several years ago.

The package came in today, and the two items I won, as well as the "bonus" were enclosed. I won a game-used baseball, an autographed 1950s card....and the "throw-in" was a wad of green ABC chewing gum. Fortunately, the wad of chewed gum did not stain or damage either of the items. That being said, instead of being offended or grossed out, I had a nice session of LMAO. :) Stll, I'm curious what unwanted "surprises" other Forum members may have gotten in a collectibles shipment, from eBay or otherwise.

Dave M.
Chicago area

metsbats
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I was shipped a bat from an ebay seller from Canada. Instead of packing peanuts or bubble wrap the package contained 4 pairs of shorts, 2 swim trunks, and a Toronto parks dept t-shirt. I tossed out the swim trunks and are using the shirt and shorts. Fortunately they were my size:D

34swtns
09-04-2009, 07:00 AM
I haven't received any weird "bonus" stuff but there was a time when I had a couple of items to ship and didn't have newspaper or peanuts to use for packing so I used clean shop rags out of a 25 lb. box of rags I'd just bought for my mechanics' shop.

HENMICK44
09-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I got a bat with a "dirty" sock covering part of the bat once.

Jays1fan
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I have not rec'd any weird Bonus Stuff , but I usually give Bonus Items with each major purchase. Usually extra Cards , autographs and etc. Most people appreciate it very much.
One time I basically gave away my Xbox and some Games to a guy who bought a bunch of my autographs. Made a great christmas present for his kids and him.

TAFKADixie
09-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Tuesday I got a McDonald's football card packaged between two of the large Donruss cards from the 80s, a 84 Carlton and a 85 Boggs. Nothing special except that fact that I absolutely LOVED these cards as a pre-teen and hadn't thought about them in 20+ years. Good memories!

EurekaDave
09-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I once bought a game used Ellis Burks Red sox cap. In the inside band of the cap I found a bubblegum comic. I think Burks put it there. Needless to say, I've left it as is. It adds to the character of the cap, don't you think?

metsbats
09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
The comic wrapper reminds me another "bonus" I encountered.

I received a Tom Nieto Mets equipment bag with sunflower seed shells and couple of whole seeds and a empty roll of white tape in it.

mattmueller
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
With a bat purchase, I typically just unseal one end of a tube and pull the bat out. One of my more recent bat purchases, I ended up dumping the bat out, and to my surprise, with the wads of newspaper securing the bat in the box, came two batting gloves that were autographed and showed excellent use. Upon inspection, turns out they were Ryan Braun gloves!

So I contacted the seller and asked if for some reason he intended to include the gloves. He did not. So long story short, I ended up paying to ship the gloves back to the seller. Not only did the seller not reimburse me the $10 for the shipping, not once did he even find the time to find hit the keyboard the extra nine times to say "thank you". So much for being a nice guy.

Matt

emann
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
So I contacted the seller and asked if for some reason he intended to include the gloves. He did not. So long story short, I ended up paying to ship the gloves back to the seller. Not only did the seller not reimburse me the $10 for the shipping, not once did he even find the time to find hit the keyboard the extra nine times to say "thank you".

That's lame on the seller's part...

I've gotten the used or dirty socks covering the bat before. It's gross...

the3lads
09-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Nothing strange on the GU side, but I once received a WW II RAF uniform that included numerous moth larvae. :eek:

frikativ54
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Nothing strange on the GU side, but I once received a WW II RAF uniform that included numerous moth larvae. :eek:

Moth larvae?!?! You got live caterpillars? :eek:

the3lads
09-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Moth larvae?!?! You got live caterpillars? :eek:

Yes. The little critters were having a feast. Needless to say, I always check uniforms very carefully.

scrinjun
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Mine was from a Steiner auction. I was bidding on a Jason Varitek game used batting helmet, the auction also included a used equipment bag. When I received the items, inside one of the zippered pockets was a pair of game used socks and several used wrist bands. It was a nice surprise.