PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Terry Francona Montreal Expos Jersey

commando
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1983 Expos home blue Terry Francona jersey for sale. Everyone knows that Francona is the manager that guided the Red Sox to 2004 and 2007 World Series triumphs, but he also played in the Majors from 1981 through 1990. He played in 120 games for the Expos in 1983.

With the help of Dave Medeima and a few others on this forum, I was able to learn the history of this jersey. First off, the jersey is all original. All the logos, letters and numbers there today were originally present on the shirt when worn by Francona (no restoration has been performed). The original "83" year tag is located on the inside left tail. The Rawlings tag (size 44) is present in the inside neck of the jersey. For reasons unknown, the numbers on the back of the jersey have been removed, and you can easily see where they used to be.

Like most Expos jerseys in the early to mid 1980s, this was sent to the Minor Leagues some time after the 1983 season. The original Major League player's names on these jerseys were covered by nameplates. As might be expected, this jersey shows a darker color where the minor league nameplate was sewn. Two minor league inventory numbers were hand written beside the Rawlings tag in the neck.

This jersey displays beautifully, especially from the front. It is a scarce Expos and Francona player jersey, and should be of interest to any Expos or Red Sox fan! I mainly collect the USFL's Houston Gamblers and have no need to keep this (even though it is awesome to look at). I'm willing to sell this for $350 delivered, or partial/full trade for Gamblers items.

My email is policefan71@yahoo.com

Thanks for looking, and thanks to everyone who helped teach me about this jersey! -- Anthony

commando
08-29-2009, 08:45 AM
The jersey has been sold. Thanks!