PDA

View Full Version : Value versus cost

gingi79
08-26-2009, 12:53 AM
When I broke into this hobby a few years ago, I read a post on another website that talked about how much certain game used jerseys cost versus their worth. It brought to light the concept of value and I wanted to illuminate and discuss with this site on that particular subject.

If we throw out the world market for a second (You cannot pay your heating bill or your mortgage with a game used jersey for example) then what is the value of our items?

I would argue a jersey that makes you remember the taste of a hot dog and a soda with your Dad at a ballgame is priceless. The lineup card from your favorite team with MLB Hologram that your new bride bought you from the day of your wedding is priceless. Ditto the card from your first game together.

Finding a rare, one time ever worn style of Jersey is priceless, to me anyway. Any item that reminds you of a Grandfather who didn't have to say "I love you" for you to know he meant it. The ballpark sign you overpaid for because it was hanging in Shea Stadium when baseball was your whole life.

I found out today that my Dad's case of Mesothelioma will kill him soon. The next time you buy a game used item, I hope it will make you think of your Dad. I know mine will.

May you never be touched deeoply by this post. If you are, may you be smart enough to help me feel better about mine. Enjoy your collections, and your Dad.

rj_lucas
08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Beautifully stated. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Thanks for your openness, and for taking a negative and making it a positive for your collecting peers in such a selfless fashion.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

suicide_squeeze
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Beautifully stated. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Thanks for your openness, and for taking a negative and making it a positive for your collecting peers in such a selfless fashion.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Amen.

God bless your father, and you too Matt. Hold onto the memories. They help remind us of what life is about, and keep things in perspective as you so eloquently did.

xpress34
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Matt -

My thoughts are with you... I lost my dad about 3 1/2 years ago so I have been there... and as far as your Value vs Cost statement, here is an example I believe truly represents that remark.

I bought this jersey almost 4 years ago (just before my Dad passed) to give to him as kind of funny present on his Birthday, but we never got to that point.

It's a hockey jersey - and my dad didn't follow hockey, and I only casually followed it here in Denver (I'm a baseball guy) - but I had to get it as the price was right for a GU Avalanche Jsy ($125) while the NHL was on strike at Pepsi Center. The Player is D J Smith - that's my dad's name.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DJSmith1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DJSmith2.jpg

I've had friends ask me about selling it for their collections since then - and even though I've had some moments where I could use the money, the value of it to me is priceless and it will be in my permanent collection always.

Again, best wishes to you and yours.

- Chris