PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

gatorcollector
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Not to be morbid or anything, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. Have you made specific plans for your collection if you were to pass away? Will your family sell it off? Keep some?

Personally, I would want my collection donated to the University of Florida. I think they could put together a pretty cool display using my stuff. Or maybe they could auction it off to raise money for the program.

What about you guys?

eisenreich8
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Great question!

My wife and I have not updated our wills recently. I have a boy with diabetes and we take part in foundation efforts and give him the world as we know it. So, I would consider another foundation, or, the children of my favorite player, Jim Eisenreich.

His Tourette's Foundation maybe could benefit from what I have or maybe his kids would like to have so many mementoes of their dad's career. I guess I don't even need to die to pass it along to them. Did I say great question? I meant HARD question.

eisenreich8
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Plus I have a larger collection of other players, and a lot of MiLB gw jerseys. I'm pretty sure my family would find all this a burden so I guess it needs to be spelled out in the will. Stimulating question!

GarkoCollector
08-25-2009, 03:17 PM
My collection is in my will and will go to a private auction house with all proceeds being given to Autism Awareness and Research.

both-teams-played-hard
08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
buzz-kill

otismalibu
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I've taken blurry photos and written bogus LOAs on all my stuff.

Told the wife to say she found it all in her grandfather's attic...in the eBay description.

Cash only. No returns.

:D

GarkoCollector
08-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I've taken blurry photos and written bogus LOAs on all my stuff.

Told the wife to say she found it all in her grandfather's attic...in the eBay description.

Cash only. No returns.

You should have her list on ebay and say that she caught you cheating on her and to get you back, she is selling your stuff. She doesnt know what its worth but just wants to get rid of it.

otismalibu
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
You should have her list on ebay and say that she caught you cheating on her and to get you back, she is selling your stuff. She doesnt know what its worth but just wants to get rid of it.

Indeed!

I overlooked that and the classic husband heart attack tale.

gatorcollector
08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
buzz-kill

Any coincidence that you posted that around 4:20 this afternoon?

frikativ54
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM

:D I think that b-t-p-h resides on the West Coast, so it's only 3:36 here. LOL!

both-teams-played-hard
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
:D I think that b-t-p-h resides on the West Coast, so it's only 3:36 here. LOL!

Correct...posted in Pacific time.

markize
08-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Cash only.

Greg,

We are sorry, but your listing will be deleted. Please refer to the following link to learn more about our policies:

www.ebayrulesareabigjoke.com/sadmanagement

mark

gatorcollector
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Would love for more people to share their plans for their collections after you-know-what. Or is this something most of us haven't given a lot of thought to?

Dewey2007
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Good question. I haven't really thought about this until you started the thread but definitely a good thing to think about it since you never know.

If I have children I would probably leave it to them because my wife wouldn't want it. She could do without the stuff now so I know she wouldn't want to deal with it later on. I would and will also consider donating my Alameda player stuff to our local museum and my Cal-Berkeley stuff to the University athletic department.

Or I might just take it all with me! :D

skyking26
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I have 2 children. After I kick off, I'd like them to get the stuff divided evenly (by my wife) and it will be handed down the ranks (grandkids etc) thereby. Some stuff they will have no interest in and may elect to sell, some stuff I spent alot of time getting auto'd etc., so I'd like that to remain in the family...

RK

lund6771
08-25-2009, 10:35 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

suicide_squeeze
08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I have 2 children. After I kick off, I'd like them to get the stuff divided evenly (by my wife) and it will be handed down the ranks (grandkids etc) thereby. Some stuff they will have no interest in and may elect to sell, some stuff I spent alot of time getting auto'd etc., so I'd like that to remain in the family...

RK

NOTICE TO FORUM: PLEASE READ POST DIRECTLY ABOVE. IT WAS POSTED BY A TRUE GENTLEMEN, AND A REAL MAN. AN HONEST MAN.

Thanks, RK,

Steve

suicide_squeeze
08-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Good question. I haven't really thought about this until you started the thread but definitely a good thing to think about it since you never know.

If I have children I would probably leave it to them because my wife wouldn't want it. She could do without the stuff now so I know she wouldn't want to deal with it later on. I would and will also consider donating my Alameda player stuff to our local museum and my Cal-Berkeley stuff to the University athletic department.

Or I might just take it all with me! :D

Same goes for you, Dewey. Honest, sincere, and totally from the heart.

Just get a BIG plot if the last statement comes true.....

suicide_squeeze
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Buzz-kill

I know.......I'm just a bit more wordy than you, sorry.

eisenreich8
08-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Not to be morbid or anything, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. Have you made specific plans for your collection if you were to pass away? Will your family sell it off? Keep some?

Personally, I would want my collection donated to the University of Florida. I think they could put together a pretty cool display using my stuff. Or maybe they could auction it off to raise money for the program.

What about you guys?

That's the ticket Gator. I would let Jim Eisenreich's Tourette's Foundation auction off whatever they saw fit, to raise funding for their programs.

I've got plenty of other crap that my family can play with. Toys my folks never had. Beach house, boats, stuff that's harder to move. They can play with them or sell them. It's only material stuff anyway, not the stuff that matters most in life: love, respect and morals.

The game used memorabilia will probably find a home long before I'm in the ground. Retirement is 3 years away for me and the rest of my days will be helping sons become dads and enjoying the benefits of many years of hard work.

At this point in time I don't think my boys have any interest in my collection, any more than I listened to my dad's Dixieland collection.

They are too busy playing baseball themselves and me coaching them there may be a collection we can build all our own. Thanks for the thread Gator.

suicide_squeeze
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Speaking in realistic terms, those of you that have worthwhile collections understand......"toys" have seals that dry up, oil leaks, they go out of style, they break down.....they require maintenance.

Houses are always a great investment, but also require upkeep, and sometimes a lot more than expected.

But historic sports collectibles that are one of a kind only become more historic and collectible as time goes on, as more interest is developed in the sport. Every year there are more and more "fans" who eventually desire to participate in the wonderful hobby we enjoy.

You do the math. Supply and demand.

All you have to do with your collection is display it proudly, protect it, and enjoy it as it enhances your life exponentially.

So when your number is called, I would think the decent thing to do would be to allow your family to do as they see fit with it. If it truly is a collection of importance and magnitude, then most likely you have already had discussions with them about this very subject, and the decision has already been made.

But in those cases where you have something that only means something to you?......then maybe it's not important what the outcome is, and then it's OK to donate it to whomever you see fit. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do with their possessions.

bigtruck260
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.

joelsabi
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Scene: In front of my house

Man: How much for the bat?
My Daughter: Oh. How about $10?
Man: I don't know. It has a crack. See. (show bat crack)
My Daughter: OK $2.50 and it yours.
Man: Gee. Thanks. (hand $2.50)
My Daughter: No, thank you. If you are into sports, there's another box of old sport equipment over there.

eisenreich8
08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.

I agree Dave. Between the cash and blood donations and the walk for this and that over the years.....I truly don't have a significant cash investment in game used anymore. At one time I had a sizeable stash but capitalized on the sale of most of it after the 2004 WS, and focused more on personal collecting, such as Eisenreich and 2 HoF'ers.

Not that this has any GU relevance, but I would have a much tougher call on how to divest myself and/or my family of all the Civil War-related stuff I have. Well into the 6 figures, that was my first passion in collecting and would set up my survivors nicely.

Then I got into collectable firearms, also a great investment and the ones I don't take to the range are the ones that aslo will always have a devoted buyer following.

Next came baseball GU & GW, which I cherish, but which would truly be among the first things I would liquidate if I had to, but God willing, it will stay in my sports room, cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.

rj_lucas
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.

Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...:)

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

both-teams-played-hard
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...:)

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?

eisenreich8
08-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Yikes Rick, I wouldn't dare live-fire an antique. Those babies did their job in their century, my collectable/modern ones better hold together.......

rj_lucas
08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?

Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

spartakid
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

I love that show, having flashbacks of Chumlee testing out the cattle roping machine..:D

both-teams-played-hard
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
"Pawn Stars" is a great show. Joe six-pack's "Roadshow".

both-teams-played-hard
01-26-2010, 07:35 PM
"Pawn Stars" is a great show. Joe six-pack's "Roadshow".
Anyone wonder if those framed Dodgers flannels in the background are gamers?

I really, really like that show. Better than any of that lame-sh!t they make in Hollywood or New York.

Quote of the 2nd season: "insult to the PEZ community" (responding to a lowball offer).

jbcindc
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
My wife and I had this discussion not long ago and agreed that my son (from my first marriage) gets the NFL memorabilia and the daughter we have together gets all my wife's jewelry. Once we agreed to this and my wife had time to think about how much stuff I have, she announced that she needed a lot more jewelry. Great.

Jason

sox83cubs84
01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
If i go first, my wife gets it all to sell and procure funds from. If we both go together, or if I am the last to go, then whatever the collection is worth gets divided between my nieces and nephew on my wife's side. My brothers on my side threw me under the bus 15 years ago after our father died, and my will specifically states that they are to not see one cent of my estate, and to be prohibited from attending my wake and funeral. My in-laws (the Johnsons) get everything, what's left for the Miedemas (other than for my wife) is nada.

Dave M.
Chicago area

3arod13
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
My collection will be buried with me, and I'm not telling any of you what cemetary I'll be in :eek:

bigtruck260
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
My collection will be buried with me, and I'm not telling any of you what cemetary I'll be in :eek:

Not a bad idea Tony...perhaps a game used pyre?

karamaxjoe
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Since my kids could give a hoot about my jerseys, I will be going with the Tony plan and will be burried wearing 30 jerseys.:D

On the serious side I plan to sell or donate everything before I die. If I die before then, I have created a binder with color pictures, receipts, LOA's and explicit directions on how to liquidate everything. The last thing I want to see are my heirs being ripped off because I didn't plan well. I also created the binder for insurance purposes and have stored it in my fire proof safe.

5kRunner
01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Hopefully I live to an old enough age where I can talk about it with my son/future kids/future grandkids. Because if they don't want it, I'll probably sell it before I go.

cugolfnut
05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
gatorcollector, drop me an email .....cugolfnut@yahoo.com

Gridiron Heroes
05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Hoping I last another 40 years being I barely survived the first 40, I'd like to give the stuff to my future kids (still working on that). If not, it all goes to the University of Minnesota for their football museum. They can do what they want with it.

OaklandAsFan
05-16-2011, 06:59 PM
This is an interesting thread. My mother just recently passed and a few days before going she told me that her collection of stuff was for me to do what I wished (almost 2 complete T206 sets along with a variety of other pre-war cards) but she recommended I wait to sell them for awhile and I laughed at her and said "do you not pay attention to your son who collects baseball just as much as you do??" No way would I sell this stuff unless I absolutely had to.

I have 4 kids and of the 4 I can really see one maybe 2 of them being interested in my stuff. My older two kids are into way different things than sports memorabilia my younger daughter really likes to do things with me so I could see her picking it up and my youngest kid my little boy just loves sports so I could definitely see him picking it up so I guess the end of the story is that I will pass continue to collect and have added my mothers collection to mine and will eventually pass it on to my kids.

70to66
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I've had friends,co-workers, and others ask me this question before. I tell them come by my house the day after the funeral and there will probably be a big yard sale! My Wife and daughter could care less about my stuff, it's junk to them. My brother collects and thinks he will get it all!

jake33
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
This may sound VERY strange but collecting Game used, has really made me devalue material possessions in general. Everything game used is a 1 of a kind and people outside the hobby do not get that. Everytime I sell something, i have to assume that it is gone forever. Also at the same time, I know certain items will become available down the road. all and all, there is nothing I can live without.

I would hope my family would recognize the difference between material possession and emotion and feeling of a human being. I would hope that they would sell everything and keep the money, and if I ever knock up some lady my offspring will know this for certain.

Really, after collecting for over a decade, the game used items really represent to me the time,effort, luck and patience in running the items down.

sammy
05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll probably have it all sold at a loss and be doing something else before that time comes.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

philsfan
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I have three young daughters who will likely not be interested in my Phil's collection that goes all the way back to my days of begging players for bats and autographs when I was a kid running around Vet Stadium during the early 80s. My plan is to wait 20 - 25 years and then sell most of my game used collection at auction. Most likely I'll use Hunt Auctions if they are still around. By then, the game used stuff should be worth a pretty penny. I'll split the money equally between each of my daughters. They can use it to help with a house downpayment, put it in savings, help buy a new care, whatever they like. I'll get the enjoyment of watching it sell at auction and seeing how much it fetches and my kids will get a gift they did not expect. The really high quality stuff I don't plan on selling and will be passed down to the next generation.

gingi79
05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
My wife will keep the 3 the loves, if I have children they will pick their favs, the rest will be donated to the players that wore them with my kind regards and thanks for the joy their play brought me.

halzeus
05-19-2011, 04:49 PM
My son, nephews, and neice will get all of my Michigan items.

We have many Wolverine fans in our family.

thegoodz15
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
i never had to think about this living in new york 10 years ago as i was single and buying up yankees items and game used bats. fast foward after 9/11 and i now maintain one of the largest yankees game used collections on the east coast, living in florida just turning 47 and having my first child a year ago....i really starting thinking about this.....for instance.....a month ago i purchased a item i had been looking for 20 years....after purchasing it i realized i had my daughter college to pay for...lol......after sending pics to a friend of mine for 20 years ..he couldnt believe i had it....his offer was around 50k.....if it was a bat....i would have said no....but it was the first time in my life i had i had another somebody to think of....my guess my daughter would get the stuff and my wife would call sothebys or hunt auctions....and what took me 40 years to build....would be gone in 20 minutes....lol.....so until that day im buying yankees game used bats more then ever.....hehe..and we will send a 18ft truck anywhere in the usa for game used bats....and ya know since 1984 i still really love this shit.......

thegoodz15......scott

coxfan
05-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I want my heirs ( wife and daughters) to be free to sell or donate whatever they're not interested in. But I'm concerned that they may not know the significance of each item. So I keep a running file on a flash drive that records pertinent data such as where I got something and why I think it's important. I update it whenever something new is added.

They know about the flash drive. Fortunately, my wife and daughters all get along well, so I'm sure they can decide what to do amicably with each piece.

RaiderNationPDX
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm in my mid-twenties, so hopefully I've got a long while before this becomes an issue, but I've made some plans. Especially after seeing where some folks' collections end up after they're gone (ShopGoodwill.com, for one - sad), I at least want my heirs to at least know what everything is, so I keep a written ledger of everything: what it is, which game it was used in, identifying marks, provenance (split into substantiated and unsubstantiated), etc. with attached receipts/COA's and a flash drive of photos. Fire-resistant safe, along with documentation of other valuables.

Now, what they choose to do with it is a different issue. My wife will likely keep the hockey stuff, but she has full license to unload whatever she doesn't want, hopefully for as much cash as possible. Whatever kids we may have should have a crack at it, but if they end up being into musical theater or something, that might be a tough sell...

Barring that, I'm totally on board for the aforementioned game-used pyre.

Shipp_96
05-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I have advised my wife to sell it all and make what she can off of it; the sad thing is it's the best "investment" I have.

She claims she would want to keep it all to remind her of me, but I have implored her to sell it. Keep a jersey I wore while watching a game or maybe some signed 8x10s, but I hope she would sell all the GU stuff.

Larry Pelliccioni
05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Charity.
Let Go, Let God.
Larry Pelliccioni

34swtns
05-22-2011, 12:44 AM
My wife has a short list of people to call to help her dump this junk.
Highest bidder, baby!