PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rice slams Jeter

cjclong
08-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Jim Rice in a talk Firday said "You see Manny Ramirez, you see an ARod, you see Jeter....Guys that I played against and with cannot compare." When the talk became public he did the old, "I was misquoted." Jeter correctly said, "How was he misquoted." I have a lot of respect for the "old time players" I grew up waching in the 60's. And if they want to complain about steroids, etc, that is their right. But I don't have any use for a marginal HOF player panning someone like Jeter who plays the game the right way. And then doesn't have the guts to stand up for what he said.

yanks12025
08-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Wasn't Rice talking about how the players are just playing for the money instead of the game. On the Yes Network the other day they brought up a interview or something Rice did back in the 1970's and he said that what he loved about the game was the MONEY.

eisenreich8
08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
By all credible accounts, Jim Ed is all about Jim Ed. This is not a pleasant story you relate, but it sure isn't a shocker! The media knew this about him for decades and it didn't help his cause in getting to Cooperstown sooner than he did.

In meeting Jim in 1976, 1988, 2003 and 2007, and conversing with him, I always went away with the same impression. It's all about him. I reckon that's his business.

FWIW, I would put Jeter up there with anyone Rice played with or against. Love the guy.

rj_lucas
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at one point Jim Rice was the highest paid player in the game.

With a career BA under .300 and fewer than 400 home runs, you have to wonder if he would have been elected to the Hall of Fame had he played his entire career in, say, Minneapolis instead of Boston.

Jeter handled the questions about Rice's remarks with class, no surprise there. I thought A-Rod did too -- he deferred to the team captain, which was the right thing to do.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Jeter should kick that old man's ass next time he seems him.

jetersbatboy
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Jim Rice, zero!!!! Jeter, four!!!!!

skyking26
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
For the number of years it took Rice to gain entry; it might be prudent for him to stay mum.