PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 1983 Expos Terry Francona Jersey

commando
08-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I have a 1983 Expos Terry Francona home jersey. From what I understand, the Expos were notorious for recycling and modifying their jerseys, so I’d like your comments on this.

Francona was the only player to wear the number 16 for the Expos from 1981 through 1985. The front of the jersey is all original, with a Rawlings size 44 tag in the collar, all the buttons intact, and the original number 16 on the front. An “83” year tag is sewn on the bottom inside left of the jersey.

The back of the jersey is a bit more interesting. You can clearly see where the original number 16 is missing. You can also clearly see where the original nameplate was removed. Interestingly, it appears that they removed a Francona nameplate and replaced it with Francona’s name sewn directly onto the jersey. Was this done for spring training the next year? And why were the rear numbers removed?

The jersey is very nice and shows great, even game usage throughout. Thanks to anyone who has an opinion to offer on the jersey! -- Anthony

flaco1801
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
was the francona name visably when it was on the nameplate? if it was i suspect someone other than the expos replaced it...once it got down to the minors there would be no reason to replace the name.... i have an expos from that era that had a "expos" on a nameplate and under it was the name brewer

sox83cubs84
08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
was the francona name visably when it was on the nameplate? if it was i suspect someone other than the expos replaced it...once it got down to the minors there would be no reason to replace the name.... i have an expos from that era that had a "expos" on a nameplate and under it was the name brewer

The minors would be the answer. In that era, the Expos recycled their MLB jerseys to their farm teams, and, being a bit more hobby-cosncious than some teams, put a nameplate over the original NOB (often with a city or team name). If there is a seemingly odd number written in the collar, that's a minor league inventory number. Not sure why the team removed the back 16 but not the front 16...most minor league Expos gamers of this type just have the plating over of the NOB...number changes are unsusal.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sox83cubs84
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Flaco...Brewer was Jim Brewer, the former Dodgers and Cubs bullpen mainstay, who was their pitching coach for a few years.

Dave M.
Chicago area

flaco1801
08-23-2009, 03:34 PM
yes thanks dave... jim brewer was a great reliever and a mainstay of the dodger bullpen... i looked at my expos shirt.. it had the plate over the name... no number change and no inventory numbers from the minors... the jersey is 1980 set 1... the shirt was made for brewer in 1980 but he left the team prior to the season... baseball almanac has bernazard wearing number 2 and streets and smith has nobody... i guess i havent looked at the shirt since the internet... all these years i never knew anyone wore number 2 in 1980... jeff

commando
08-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. Dave, your post cleared things up for me. The name on back is original, with the NAMEPLATE being added later when the shirt went to the minor leagues. To further support this, there are two minor league inventory numbers written in the back collar (165 and 120).

I wonder which minor league teams used the Expos jerseys?

BorchertField
08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Jamestown/Vermont Expos, I'd guess.