PDA

View Full Version : Mets-Steiner Coming Soon

Eric
05-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's something I read in the 4/24 Steiner Sports "Bob's game used blog." Thought I would pass it along....

"As mentioned previously, our (soon to be branded) Mets-Steiner partnership is off to a fast start, I now have a rapidly growing inventory of game used items from 2004, 2005 and 2006, if you follow the Mets and want a piece of history from Shea, this is a great time to inquire, as price points during the rollout will be extremely attractive to collectors, and I fully expect Mets fans to be clamoring for a “game used” piece of their team."

FYI, the blog is updated regularly and can be found here

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/blog-gameused

2000mvpfan
05-27-2006, 12:21 PM
...oh goody,now we can pay ridiculously high prices for Mets stuff too.

Joe

suave1477
05-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Actually the Mets / Steiner partnership happend a while ago. As far as the prices they are not ridicously high. As before mentioned in threads there is a reason why Steiner charges such high prices for the Yankees items other then just to turn a profit.

sportscentury
05-27-2006, 01:41 PM
...oh goody,now we can pay ridiculously high prices for Mets stuff too.
Joe

Joe,

Interesting response. Mine was somewhat similar - their prices are so astronomically high, that it is hard to even take the company seriously. It has gotten to the point where I hear the Steiner name and, without thinking, I automatically go into in-one-ear-and-out-the-other mode. Steiner has every right to charge whatever prices they like and more power to them if they can get those prices. But the pricing is so far out of touch with 99% (or more) of the market (dealers and collectors alike), that I think this type of hobby news is something that most people just end up laughing about... which is a shame. The thing is, are there really Mets collectors out there ready to pay Steiner prices? - my experience is that Mets collectors are far less aggressive, numerous, and financially well-off than Yankees collectors, on the whole (again, this is just based on my experiences). And I'm not so sure that there were too many Yankees collectors rushing to pay Steiner prices to begin with.

As a side note, my only attempt to deal with Steiner was to possibly purchase an AROD game issue batting helmet that they had advertised for $495 unsigned. I did not think that this was the worst price I'd ever heard of ... until I called them and discovered that it was actually just an unsigned game REPLICA (and not issued) AROD helmet. They had made a mistake in the listing ... but the mistake was wording used and not the price, which remained $495. Yikes.

Enjoy the holiday weekend,

Reid

suave1477
05-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually the Mets / Steiner partnership happend a while ago. As far as the prices they are not ridicously high. As before mentioned in threads there is a reason why Steiner charges such high prices for the Yankees items other then just to turn a profit.

Well I repeat this again!!!!

As far as the Mets items they will not be in the price range as the Yankees items and they have been listing mets items so you can see for yourself with out questioning or assuming they will be as high. just click on SteinerSports instead of making guesses

2000mvpfan
05-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Reid-
I agree with you.Suave points out that the Mets items are not priced as high,and I think that falls right in line with what you have said about the Mets fan market.The Yankees have always been known as the more upscale of the two teams,and I think that is reflected in the type of buyer who purchases Steiner's stuff at those prices.Yes,I know the argument of "authenticity not being an issue", but prices of up to $25k for a modern player?Just because he's a Yankee?MeiGrey is just as respected a name as Steiner, and I'm sure you could get an A-Rod jersey from them for up to $23k less.Is there as much demand for a Texas A-Rod jersey?Probably not,but since I fall into that 99% of collectors to whom their stuff is NOT marketed,that would be the route I would take if I was looking for an A-Rod gamer.You guys know how I'm always hunting down Giambi stuff,and it was the same deal:$7k for a Steiner Giambi jersey vs. $500 for a ROOKIE YEAR A's green alt. jersey with A's paperwork.No contest.No question of authenticity.Suave,I myself am a big Yankee fan,but I think Steiner has taken the everyday collector out of the mix (unless you want,say,a Henry Cotto jersey for $400).

Have a great weekend,guys!
Joe

sportscentury
05-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Well I repeat this again!!!!

As far as the Mets items they will not be in the price range as the Yankees items and they have been listing mets items so you can see for yourself with out questioning or assuming they will be as high. just click on SteinerSports instead of making guesses

Suave,

You must have posted your first note as I was writing mine (so I did not read it before posting). Thanks for clarifying. In line with what I said in my earlier post, though, I didn't even think to check the Steiner website before hazarding a guess as to what the Mets prices would be ... because, again, I hear the Steiner name and I tune out at this point. I'm glad to hear that their Mets prices are less unreasonable (or, in fact, reasonable?), but I have associated them with such ridiculously high prices for so very long, that it is going to take a lot more than the Mets pricing for me to alter my automatic response to hearing the Steiner name. I don't mean this disrespectfully; it is just an honest, reflexive response I have based on what I've observed for so long. If Steiner starts a new trend and market items at more reasonable prices (perhaps starting with these Mets items), that's terrific and I'm all for it. Again, they are welcome to do as they please as they have every right to charge an arm and a leg for a Giambi BP jersey if they like. However, this type of pricing does affect how many dealers and collectors view their company ... it's only natural. Perhaps the Mets pricing is partially due to the hobby's response to their Yankees pricing (in addition to the market for Mets items being much different than the market for Yankees items).

Best,
Reid