PDA

View Full Version : Help! How can I remove letter and numbers from a jersey

metsbats
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I recently picked up some cheap game issued/used common jerseys to wear to baseball camps with the intention of having the number or lettering changed. Russ from Stitches informed me today that they do not do lettering removal because it's time consuming and they run the risk of damaging the jersey because the letters are glued in addition to sewed on. He told me I'd have to do this myself. (using a seam clipper)

Any advise on how to do this??

otismalibu
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
First, get one of these. That's the easy part. Then start chipping away. I've stripped a number of jerseys. It's slow going and often there is residue left behind where the numbers/letters were. If you have double layered numbers, you might see double stitching when you turn the jersey inside out. It's a pain in the ass.

http://www.glfi.com/scSeamRipperLarge.jpg

eisenreich8
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
On a related topic, how do you remove the gummy residue from an ironed-on nameplate that was also sewn on. I got the nameplate off, but the adhesive remains on my gamer.

I hear you on the numbers removal. The stitches take a long time but when they are also pressed on, it's a drag.

otismalibu
08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
On a related topic, how do you remove the gummy residue from an ironed-on nameplate that was also sewn on.

I use extra strength Goo Gone or Goof Off on a white cloth, to remove the residue. Don't do this indoors.

If you're putting a new plate over top, I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming it's the same sized plate.

Even after you do this and wash the jersey, you can often see an imprint of the numbers. Sometimes you can iron these out. I use a Teflon sheet so as not to burn the jersey with the iron.

eisenreich8
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you Greg for your quick and helpful reply!

metsbats
08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Greg too.

I got an email from a fellow forum member who said he had a jersey renumbered recently and knows someone whose not afraid to do it.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

jrd
08-21-2009, 06:05 AM
I contacted Frozen Pond last year about getting a number removed and having the jersey redone. They said no problem.

metsbats
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I contacted Frozen Pond last year about getting a number removed and having the jersey redone. They said no problem.

jrd,

Thanks for that info. I did a google search on "removing letters or number from a jersey" and for some reason go a lot of hits on folks altering hockey jerseys.

metsbats
12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
I brought a team issued Tigers jersey from BPH off of ebay with the intention of using it for my baseball camps and baseball league games in 2012. Rather than send out the jersey to be modified I took the plunge based on the info on this thread and decided to remove the lettering myself.

It wasn't as bad but is a time consuming process.

Here is the end result.