PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Letter Code

JETEFAN
05-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi, I Know We Don't Have Records For Adirondack Bats, But Do We Know Anything About Letters On Model Numbers (a-x-w-s-etc) Do Some Letters Represent Gamers, Store Models Etc?

Thanks
George

MSpecht
05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi -- here is some general information on the Adirondack labeling:

The model number stamped into the knob of a professional model Adirondack/Rawlings bat is usually one, two, or three numbers, followed by one or two letters. The typical letters used by Adirondack in this fashion on professional model bats include A, B, X, and XX, such as appear on the following bats I have authenticated in the past -- Ted Simmons 256A, Garry Maddox 154B, Dick Stuart 113X, Mickey Mantle 113A, and Bobby Bonds 154XX.

Adirondack also used model numbers on professional model bats that start with one or two letters followed by two numbers. This most often occurs when the player's initials appear as part of the model number. Commonly seen letters used in this manner include M (Willie Mays M63), MS (Mike Schmidt MS20), DW (Dave Winfield DW20), RJ (Reggie Jackson 288RJ) and others. CAUTION: Do not confuse this Adirondack numbering system with H & B -- it is OK to have a player's initials stamped into the knob of an Adirondack professional bat, however if a Louisville Slugger has a player's initials stamped into the knob end it is a store bat (for instance, MM4).

There has always been some controversy surrounding Adirondack bats that have the letters C or D following the series of numbers in the model number. Some collectors' believe that Adirondack offered both C and D model bats to both the public via catalogue and to professional players. Others have the opinion that D bats were primarily shipped to colleges for the school's use. In 1991 bat researcher/collector Mike Montbriand stated that he was comfortable with C model bats with provenance, explaining : "I base that on my personal experience with C model bats plus my knowledge that professional ballplayers, such as Harmon Killebrew, own professional model Adirondack bats with model numbers stamped in the knob ending with the letter C." I, also, have personally seen Adirondack bats that are undoubtedly professional model bats that have come straight from former batboys, circa 1950's and 1960's, with model numbers ending with the letter C.

The same controversy exists with Adirondack S model bats made prior to 1968.

As both Jim and I have noted repeatedly in responses to questions on this forum and in blog postings, YOU must be comfortable with the legitimacy of any bat you are considering , and what it ultimately comes down to is the probability that any specific bat is what it is purported to be. For my money, the less controversy the better !!!

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

Yankwood
05-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Although he has often been chastised for his somewhat aloof, and sometimes surly attitude with the public at autograph shows, I had occasion to carry on a conversation with Willie Mays about his bats. He told me that for a while, his favorites were Adirondack 282C bats. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.