PDA

View Full Version : Circa 1963 game-used Mantle Glove- Legendary Auctions

rick
08-18-2009, 05:00 PM
A couple of months ago, I was looking for photos showing Willie Mays using a closed web glove in the 60's, as Heritage Auctions had listed such a Mays glove in their auction. MEARS was unable to help as they said didn't have the opportunity to look through their files at that time. Joe Phillips did try to come up with some photos of Mays using a closed web glove in the 60's but was unable to come up with such a photo.

Now, Legendary Auctions has listed a circa 1963 Mickey Mantle glove up for auction, stating “Presented is a Rawlings game used glove -- once worn by Mantle -- that was handed to (Bobby) Richardson by the slugger, himself, and, subsequently, was given to our consignor by Richardson.” The glove is a Rawlings XPG 6, with the standard retail 2-piece closed web. While Mantle is pictured in Rawlings advertisements of their retail products with closed web gloves, my understanding is that Mantle only used open web gloves from 1961 through 1966 (when he subsequently moved to first base).

My question is, “Does anyone have a photo of Mickey Mantle actually using a closed web glove during the 1961 - 1966 period?

Thanks,
Rick Levy

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
This is interesting. I have spoken to Denny Esken, and the glove is merely a retail glove (XPG 6) with no open web and no number 7 identifications on the glove. I was also informed that Mantle's facsimile signature in the pocket did not match the year proposed by Bobby Richardson. I am amazed that someone would be willing to pay $31,000 for a Bobby Richardson letter on a retail glove.