PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson Game Used Jersey?

beantown
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Thoughts? Interesting how the name is "Jackson B.".....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-Bo-Jackson-Game-Used-Kansas-City-Royals-Jersey_W0QQitemZ140339648114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ace51672&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

nickacs
08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I searched Getty's and didn't find any pics from the back in 1987, but other years thereafter there were some and the NOB was only 'JACKSON'.

There's throwback jerseys from 1987-1989 of Jackson on Ebay/Amazon that also only has 'JACKSON' on it.
My hunch is don't touch it, but up to you :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513j22lU24L._AA280_.jpg

TNTtoys
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Very strange indeed. Here are some photos I found on Getty. I haven't seen any NOBs with a "B" after "JACKSON" --

xpress34
08-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I would write Bo on BoJackson.net (I believe that is his site) or even write to the Royals.

I just checked their 1987 roster and they did have Danny JACKSON playing as well, so it is possible that while he was there that they had the initials added. NOTE: Danny Jackson was there in 1985 and 1986 as well - so who knows if they experimented with the initials or if MLB requested it...

Worth a shot of seeing if they can verify the existence of such a jersey.

Just my .02

- Chris

hblakewolf
08-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Guys, a few basic issues.......

1. The vertical arch lettering is not correct in style or cut, especially the
S. These look to be handcut by a blind man sippin' Colt 45!

2. If indeed the Royals desired to order shirts with the D for Danny and
the B for Bo, do you really think they would add the initial AFTER the
last name? Have you ever seen a professional 1980's or 1990's game
worn MLB jersey with the first initial of a player after the last name?

Don't waste your time writing Bo or looking for photos.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Joeycola
08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's use of the 'B' but before last name 'Jackson'
http://pro.corbis.com/images/U87257081-15.jpg?size=67&uid=a05df440-a4c0-4d65-bf9e-440bc43776f1&uniqID=71f97e8c-4423-4b21-b840-f6b7cc3048bd

byergo
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm the one who found that "B. Jackson" 1987 Corbis photo and posted it here, when people were publicly questioning that he wore that style of jersey. I can confirm he indeed wore the "B. Jackson" jersey. I bought one with George Brett ownership provenance/LOA, and have photo matched the exact shirt to an original slide I own (with a long irregular shaped distinct friction mark on the obverse). Besides the Corbis photo, I've also style matched it to a mini Starline poster with copyright 1989, but using a 1987 photo due to the "B. Jackson" and Dick Howzer patch. Speaking of the Howzer patch since this jersey doesn't have one it could have likely only come from early in the season before Coach Howzer's passing.

I have not been able to find anything to verify the "Jackson B." reverse (or I would have bought it) so cannot comment, but it doesn't match known exemplars and photos I'm aware of. That being said, he wore the unique "B. Jackson" for a full year (home and road) and I was able to find precious few photo examples, so this era is very tough to find solid photographic evidence for. And I looked long and hard to find the few I was able to find.

Also look for moderate to heavy wear on these jerseys including stains, pilling, numeral wear, friction marks, etc... This was before people changed jerseys every inning to intentionally manufacter a large number of game used items for the secondary market, and they weren't such sought after items. Of course this leads to their legitimate rarity and value as opposed to all the current modern stuff out there.

Good luck.

emann
08-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I was more surprised that this is in a Gaynor & Dent auction. I've bought items from them in the past and all have been great (although none were jerseys, all were bats). They usually have nice stuff and seem to have some knowledge...

suicide_squeeze
08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I was more surprised that this is in a Gaynor & Dent auction. I've bought items from them in the past and all have been great (although none were jerseys, all were bats). They usually have nice stuff and seem to have some knowledge...

Sign of the times? Are companies letting their scrupples slip because they need cash flow?

That jersey is obviously garbage. Why would they take an obvious hit to their reputation to sell a piece like that?

emann
08-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Listing was ended.