PDA

View Full Version : Bicentennial Patch Question

commando
08-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone....

I have these two patches in my collection. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between replicas and the originals? I'm wondering exactly what I have here....

Thanks! -- Anthony

flaco1801
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
the top patch is a replica... the original had a red border and did not have a "c" as a copyright... and the original was a bit larger than the replica

skyking26
08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Flaco is exactly right-on...

commando
08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Cool, thanks for your help guys.

By the way, did different teams have different colored borders on the patches depending on their uniform colors?

sox83cubs84
08-18-2009, 01:20 AM
All the N.L. teams that used the N.L. Centennial patch had a red rim around the edge. The Montreal Expos didn't wear the patch, opting for an Olympics logo patch in deference to the 1976 Summer Games.

BTW...there IS a copyright notation on the genuine N.L. Centennial patches, showing the copyright symbol and the year 1975 (the year the design was copyrighted). The notation is only visible upon close inspection, as it's embroidered on in white thread on a white background portion of the patch.

The patch was not worn by the American League teams, although a few, such as Oakland, wore Bicentennial designs of their own.

Hope this helps.

Dave M.
Chicago area

commando
08-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks Dave, your reply is very helpful!!!! -- Anthony

jppopma
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I am always amazed at the details Dave can just pull up. You are still the man and I am glad to have learned so much from you over the last, wow 20+ years now. Good to see you on here. John

sox83cubs84
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I am always amazed at the details Dave can just pull up. You are still the man and I am glad to have learned so much from you over the last, wow 20+ years now. Good to see you on here. John

Thanks for the kind words...the good Lord willing and my health cooperating, I'm hoping for another 20.

Dave M.
Chicago area