PDA

View Full Version : You gotsta be kiddin me

mjkm90
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Amazing amount of wear, drying, and cracking for a glove supposedly stolen while it was in use and hidden away for years. What a load of hooey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAZZERIS-GLOVE-VINTAGE-FIVE-FINGERED-FIELDERS-GLOVE_W0QQitemZ8816733535QQcategoryZ50133QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mr.miracle
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
That is without a doubt one of the if not the best story I have ever seen on ebay except for maybe the guy that cut up 300 game worn jersey cards and glued all the pieces to make his own custom greats of the game jersey, nothing beats that.

Brett

trsent
05-24-2006, 08:23 PM
That is without a doubt one of the if not the best story I have ever seen on ebay except for maybe the guy that cut up 300 game worn jersey cards and glued all the pieces to make his own custom greats of the game jersey, nothing beats that.

Brett

i was bidding on that shirt, the guy ended the auction because he wasn't going to be happy with the final price.

both-teams-played-hard
05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
What a load of hooey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAZZERIS-GLOVE-VINTAGE-FIVE-FINGERED-FIELDERS-GLOVE_W0QQitemZ8816733535QQcategoryZ50133QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The seller claims Ruth used racial slurs and was a thief. Nice.

mr.miracle
05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
I am not sure what is worse, the companies that hacked up the game used memorabilia to make those cards, or the guy that smoked the crack pipe too long that he hacked up the cards to make that jersey. Instead of being worried that he was not going to make enough off the jersey, the guy should have been looking for the local looney bin and having considerable thoughts about checking himself in.

suave1477
05-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Or to add insult to injury how about the fact not only are they cut up but you glued them to another shirt which makes the pieces completely worthless and the sad part is he had Huge names in those pieces.

"Thats like setting on fire a Babe Ruth Game Used Jersey and saying hey lets add gas to it"

ironmanfan
05-25-2006, 08:06 AM
One would think if the grand Bambino himself was going to swipe a mitt from someone, that he'd take a left-handers mitt. This story would have been better with a left handed first baseman's glove that had "belonged" to Lou Gehrig....

skipcareyisfat
05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
The glove story is pretty funny, but in all seriousness, is there any way it could actually be a real Lazzari glove? I know nothing about gloves and the actual description leaves a lot of questions. Has anyone asked the seller about the specifics?

mjkm90
05-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't know what model Lazzeri used, but I have seen quite a few of his high quality store models over the years and owned one. The problem with this glove is the amount and type of wear. It's just too beat up and dry. Lazzeri, like all players, would keep their glove in good condition and get another when it was trashed. If it is his glove, how can it be authenticated? People are very leary of game gloves these days.

mr.miracle
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Who needs authentication, if the seller says that this is what Ruth told his grandpappy how would we possibly dispute this. I am sure that Ruth probably carried around a couple of suitcases full of stolen game used equipment that he swiped from his teammates lockers over the years. That way, when this type of occasion arose he was armed and ready. In answer to the previous comment, he probably had already given the Iron Horses gamer to one of the nurses.:D

suave1477
05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Well here is a true but funny story!!! Babe Ruth always ended up broke he used to blow all his money on having a good time during the season that he would end up having to borrow money from his teamates by the end of the season and he would repay them back with high interest when he would get his new season check. So they didnt mind lending money to the Babe bcuz they knew he was ggood for it and they were gonna get a lot more back!!!

flaco1801
05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
the babe did live in the ansonia hotel. your all quick to call him a liar. why dont the rules apply to him as well as others? just curious.

nycsports
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree with you Flaco. How come the rules don't apply to this guys auction? I thought the rule was we have to contact the seller first and see what he says about the item before posting. The seller has already answered a couple of questions from ebayers, even saying he would sign a letter confirming the story of how he got the glove...

mr.miracle
05-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I think everyone is just amused by the story. As for contacting the seller, what can he possibly add to this that will validate the claim? Perhaps we can ask for his fathers employment records from the hotel as well as the Babe's history of staying there? Even if he signs a letter attesting to the gloves validity and this story, unless he gets the letter signed and notorized what good would it do if the glove is graded and comes back questionable or a fraud? If the seller is willing to stand behind the glove 100% money back that is great but I highly doubt even having it graded will in any way prove conclusive due to age use etc. It is just very amusing the way the ebay listing reads.

Brett

skipcareyisfat
05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Geez, you guys are hard to please! Isn't it enough that the seller has 100% positive feedback? :cool:

mr.miracle
05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Skip has a great point there. If the seller has 100% feedback then there is not question that this is authentic and we should have no reason not to trust this item. We all know that 100% feedback is the gold stamp of approval in ebay selling.

nycsports
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
A 100% feedback on eBay does by no means guarantee the gloves authenticity. However, the claim that the glove is not real because of a supposed bogus story seems like a weak argument to me. If you don't think the story is real, why don't you contact the seller, maybe he can clear up some of your concerns?

mr.miracle
05-26-2006, 12:00 PM
If I am selling something on ebay that is of historic value and cannot provide any proof that the item is authentic other then my word or a story, sorry, nobody is going to believe that. That is quite frankly the world we live in today. I am a very honest person but I would not expect somebody to trust me just because I said so. I am not saying this item is or is not authentic but the fact that it has not been graded or authenticated does not help the situation. Maybe the glove did come from Ruth who knows but the point is, if anybody is seriously expecting a collector to dump thousands of dollars into anything that is supposed to be game used without at least some type of authentication besides their word, that is just preposterous. I know I would not buy anything like this without being graded. While that in and of itself also proves nothing as we have all seen fake items professionally graded with 2 or 3 LOA's that are about as worthless as the paper they are written on, it is about the only valid system we have that authenticates things to a reasonable degree.
Again, could somebody contact the seller to ask questions, sure but what besides his word can he offer that guarentees this item. That is like somebody saying well, I was at the game and player x handed me the bat and signed it right there. That is nice, now give me the LOA that comes with it accompanied by the tamper proof holograms, MEARS grading letter and Taube grading letter. Unfortunately in this time and in this industry that is just the way it is.

Brett