PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Is this the same bat?

tigerhidden
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
I emailed the seller a couple of days ago about this bat and have received no response. Does this appear to be the same bat to you?

Click the Bagwell in the first link.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26429&highlight=bagwell+bat

Auction listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200371348751&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Chris
goastros@verizon.net

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks kind of similar, but it's really tough to tell. Is there a specific question you have about the bat?

tigerhidden
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else thought this was the same bat? It was first listed on here as issued and then on ebay as used. If you look above the T in Houston, that mark is in the exact same space as on the other bat.

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else thought this was the same bat? It was first listed on here as issued and then on ebay as used. If you look above the T in Houston, that mark is in the exact same space as on the other bat.

Chris,

The other thing that is a red flag is that white streak on the barrel. Do you see how it is on both of the bats? It doesn't seem to extend as far in the one photo, but the light is hitting it, so I don't know.

I sure would be interested in the seller's response, especially since he is a forum member.

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 11:56 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/bagsguu.jpg

eBay gu bat

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/bats027.jpg

GUU for sale issued bat

What do you guys think?

staindsox
08-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Looks like the same bat to me. That mark near the T looks identical.

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
From the auction for this 2005 bat: "The pine tar is fresh and still sticky!" :eek:

dodgersfan
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree with you,that looks like the same bat.

Rudy

Looks like the same bat to me. That mark near the T looks identical.

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Now that we have established that this is likely the same bat, what should we conclude about the seller? If you ask me, this is a case of deliberate bat altering. Pine tar was added and use was contrived, for the purpose of making money at the hands of an unsuspecting buyer.

The bat didn't sell, but I am upset, because I considered purchasing that Bagwell bat on eBay. Unlike tigerhidden, I didn't have the good sense to look at the seller's past offerings on GUU. And, had I the money, and had I not just acquired a Bagwell bat, I could have been the victim.

What bothers me most is the lack of ethics. As I have seen with other sellers, profits are being put above the integrity of the hobby. For every bat that is caught, there are several others that float into the collecting world, and that cannot be distinguished from regular bats. This poisons the hobby.

Texstros
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I also emailed the seller and I asked if it was the same bat - he assured me that it was not. I think we should let him explain before the firing squad starts shooting. It could be lighting - being lazy & using a old pic - fraud.. Just my two cents, not worth alot I know. Give it some time to get it figured out or we can just move on to the next bagwell bat.

Shawn

frikativ54
08-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I also emailed the seller and I asked if it was the same bat - he assured me that it was not. I think we should let him explain before the firing squad starts shooting. It could be lighting - being lazy & using a old pic - fraud.. Just my two cents, not worth alot I know. Give it some time to get it figured out or we can just move on to the next bagwell bat.

Shawn

Shawn,

I understand your not wanting to rush to judgments. However, after taking a good, hard look at both pictures, I have a hard time believing that Bagwell could have made that same mark over the "T" at identical angles on two separate bats. Much less on two different bats by the same seller. Also, look at those long scratch like marks (rack marks?). They are the same in both listings.

The only difference in the bats is more use and pine tar. I am not calling for the firing squad; the seller just has some serious explaining to do.

grenda12
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Same colored carpet as well.

frikativ54
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Any new news from the seller? Since he is a forum member, I eagerly await his explanation...if one is forthcoming.

kylehess10
08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm starting to get worried. I bought an unwashed WBC jersey from this seller a year and a half ago. It was covered in dirt and blood. I bought a DVD of the game, and I matched the dirt, but all the way up to the 9th inning, there was no blood in sight on his jersey. Should I be worried over this?

emann
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I bought a DVD of the game, and I matched the dirt, but all the way up to the 9th inning, there was no blood in sight on his jersey. Should I be worried over this?

Why would someone add blood to a jersey that already had use from dirt on it?

kylehess10
08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Why would someone add blood to a jersey that already had use from dirt on it?

Well the blood was the most unique part of the jersey that intrigued me to buy it. It makes me wonder though what could've made him bleed AFTER the game

emann
08-14-2009, 11:14 PM
It makes me wonder though what could've made him bleed AFTER the game

Prince Fielder maybe? ;)