PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a "Sideline Worn" designation?

TAFKADixie
08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
As a collector of former Clemson players, I have been trying to find a Charlie Whitehurst jersey for 3 years now. I have only seen one and it was the London jersey from 2008 on NFL.com and went for WAY too much in my eyes. The problem comes with Whitehurst has played in exactly 2 games in his career (never attempting a pass) and they were both in his rookie year. Since he dresses out in every game, his jerseys are obviously used, just "sideline used" not "game used". I doubt they show any use other than slight piling. Hemme marks, tears, etc are great for starters but when a lot of the players you collect are bench-warmers, what are you to do when trying to authenticate?

metsbats
08-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Unfortunately the definition of "game used" as per professional sports leagues does not require a player to do anything between the white lines.

Sitting on a sidelines or in a dugout or bullpen constitutes "game used" to the NFL and MLB. From a purest perspective I think we all have a problem with this definition but if you try to sink down to that level and analyze it one can be convinced that their definition of game used may be correct.

1. The bench players job is to sit on the bench and be ready for game activity. He sitting in on the sidelines or dugout or bullpen during the "game" and he functioning as he is suppose to "using the jersey". Tada! Game Used!

2. I have work clothes (or work used clothing). If I go to work with a new suit and decide to goof off and not do any work, surf the net all day on GUU, hang out by the water cooler and talk to everyone who passes by, take a 2 hour lunch, and leave early, that suit is still work worn. Right?

I'm sure this was the arguments given a that fateful meeting in the Park Ave offices of MLB when they came up with their wacky definition of "game used".

Fortunately an educated collector as yourself will know the difference regarding a particular piece from a particular time period and will not overpay for something which is not game used in the true sense of the name.

BorchertField
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I can't agree. MLB's definition makes sense to me.

If the player dresses for the game, and enters the arena (even if only to sit in the pen or stand on the sidelines), it's game-used. Sometimes a player's only role in a game is to stand in reserve, but it's still a legitimate role.

reed1216
08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I would like to see a separate designation for jerseys/equipment that were worn in the dugout, on the bench or on the sideline, as opposed to being worn in game action. Here's an example...

JO Sports is offering several Rex Grossman jerseys. Each was worn on a specific date, but only one was worn in a game he took part in. All the Grossman jerseys are $850 (except the orange, which is $1000 and Griese, not Rex, played that game), but if I was to purchase one, I would go with the one that was worn during game play. There would be no question about it.

One of the best aspects of this hobby is trying to find videos or photos of the player wearing something you own. Having a Grossman jersey that was worn while he held a clipboard on the sideline means little to me when compared with one that was used on the field of battle- even if it's probable that Rex threw 6 int's in the game in which it was worn.

David
08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I define game used a "used in a game." Thus, I don't define sildeline worn as game used. If a seller says the sideline jersey is "game used" but also notes the player didn't enter the game due, then I have no objection as how it was used is clear.

Now, if you say "bullpen coach game used" or "team owner game used suit" it's also clear what that means. Obviously the team owner wore the suit to the owner's box or such, and didn't play in the game.

Whatever the definition, used in the game by the player is worth more than not-- and a collector will be disappointed when he learns the jersey he payed good money was never worn in the game.

David
08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Beyond my personal definition of "game used," my main point is, even if someone doesn't use a term the way I use it, I can still often understand what is meant. We all understand what "game used usher's jacket" means and doesn't mean as far as on the field use goes .... I also think there should be designation of use in or not in the game, if only in the written description.

Rob L
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I would think that if a player is penciled in on the lineup card for a game, technically the uniform can be considered game used, even if the player ultimately didn't get into the game. It's still a pretty unclear designation though. The following uniform was worn by Troy Percival in a TBTC game. He didn't close the game but was available. So, is this considered Game Used, Game Worn, Game Issued?