PDA

View Full Version : Browns Helmet Help (Aeneas01)?

scottanservitz
08-13-2009, 06:59 AM
I have no experience with NFL lids. I am a lifelong Browns fan (Ugh) and I found this lid from another post. I actually remember wearing this type of lid in junior high and freshman football. Hurt my head before I went to a Bike lid. Anyways, is this lid legit? For the price it would be a nice addition to my NFL collection. I only have jerseys. But I enjoyed Pruitt back in the day. I even remember seeing a Gregg Pruitt recently in an auction somewhere. So does Robert or any other forum members have experience with this type of helmet? I tried getting a pic of Pruitt in this lid and had no luck. I believe this helmet is from '82 or 83.

Scott

http://www.realstuffsports.com/browns43.htm

yosef777
08-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I am no Aeneas01 but my feeling is this looks pretty good. (Although the price may be a little high considering what PAC 3 goes for on ebay.) One thing I wanted to clarify is that in your post you mentioned Greg Pruitt but the helmet you linked from Real Sports is a Mike Pruitt. (Greg was the first Pruitt in Cleveland and he wore a PAC 3 with the Browns but his had an OPO mask on it.) Mike Pruitt definitely wore a Riddell with that double wire, NOPO mask in the early 80's. He also had that particular double clipped, side hook up for his mask at that time. (I have seen pics of him with a single wire, NOPO from the late 70's). The only this missing from the helmet is the Browns nameplate over the Riddell logo between the top attachment clips but that could have easily disappeared. I can't confirm or deny the size but it looks to be at least a game used or team issued professional helmet. Hope that helps.

scottanservitz
08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Yosef777. I know the helmet in question is Mike, but I have never seen a Mike Pruitt for sale. I have seen a Greg. Old Browns stuff is hard to find and when it does surface it is pricey. An 80's Frank Minnifield game jersey was on the Bay a few months back and it brought like $500-700 which is a lot to me. I can't actually remember the exact price, but it was more than the $400 I'd go. Anyways, thanks for the info and maybe the dealer will budge some on price. Who knows.

Scott