PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Collector

TJordan522
08-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get started with collecting game used baseball items and I'm totally lost! I've been collecting game used hockey memorabilia since 2006 and I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to that, but I'm clueless when it comes to baseball collecting so I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Mainly, what are the best and most common sources to acquire a game used bat or jersey? For hockey, the MeiGray Group handles many of the teams, but I haven't been able to find a company like that for the MLB.

Specifically, I would be looking to add a Phillies jersey to my collection. In browsing the message boards, I see that the Phillies items people have seem to always come with an LOA from Phillies Charities. Is a charity auction the only way to obtain a Phillies item or are they available other ways? I apologize if that's a dumb question but I'm just looking for somewhere to start.

Thanks for your time,

Jordan

geoff
08-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi The Phillies Sell Game Used Items at Citizens Bank Park at The Game Used Stand they have there.Browse EBAY also if you have not done that.You can find Game Used Phillies Items on there as well.Good Luck and have Fun Collecting.

Thanks
Geoff

rj_lucas
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Is a charity auction the only way to obtain a Phillies item or are they available other ways? I apologize if that's a dumb question but I'm just looking for somewhere to start.

Thanks for your time,

Jordan

That's not a dumb question at all. Another option is to go to MLB.com and click on the Auctions link. On the Auctions page, click the Team Auctions button to view auctions being held by a particular team, in your case the Phillies. I just checked and there's not a Phillies auction going currently.

It's also possible that MLB itself would have Phillies items for sale. Type 'phillies' or a player name into the seach bar on the Auctions page and see if anything comes up. Best of luck.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

cjclong
08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
There are a number of sites for game used bats. John Taube at gameusedbats.com has a good selection and is trustworthy. If you are looking for a particular player you can sometimes find them listed under the players name and bat on ebay. You need to be careful and if you have a question about a bat or jersey, etc you can post on the forum and a member with knowelege will usually help you out. I've gotten a lot of help from folks here.

sox83cubs84
08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
If you want info on 1970s/80s/90s Phillies jerseys, ask Howard Wolf (hblakewolf on this forum). Even GU authenticators (myself included) concede the title of greatest Phillies game-used expert to Howard.

Dave m.
Chicago area

skyking26
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
If you want info on 1970s/80s/90s Phillies jerseys, ask Howard Wolf (hblakewolf on this forum). Even GU authenticators (myself included) concede the title of greatest Phillies game-used expert to Howard.

Dave m.
Chicago area
I was going to mention Howard myself. Class individual, extremely knowledgeable. He's been at it since the 80's or sooner like me and I've known him just as long...

RK