PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose Mizuno Bat - Help!

schubert1970
08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Can anyone give me a little more information on the Rose bat. I've been wanting a pr 4192 for a few years and I have a chance to get this one. Why would there be a number on top of the barrel and was this common? I understand the bottom of the handle having one.

If anyone could give me some casual observations, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to pull off this trade tomorrow.

txs

Bill

suicide_squeeze
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi Bill,

I have seen a few of Pete's bats painted on the barrel end in the exact manner as this bat, along with the knob. That looks like his "script" too, in making the numbers.

But I have to be honest......that signature looks bad. I will stop short of saying it's a forgery as I have no professional basis to make such a bold statement. But it looks forced, signed in a fashion that was done slowly, and concentrated in its attempt at copying Pete's signature. Very specifically, the first "P" in "Pete", and the "R" in "Rose" look particularly troubling. I would have that picture checked out by someone who is a disinterested third party expert in signatures, and well respected in the field. I would not buy that bat based on signature alone.

tacprc
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I will compare to my Rose bats and get back to you this weekend. Chuck

suicide_squeeze
08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey Bill,

Did you check out the Rose bat "anatfan09" just posted about?.......Nice one too. From his short stint with the Expos.....a true rarity.

You know, after some thought, I am thinking that the Rose signature on the bat you posted that appeared a bit "off" to me is probably due to the paint stick he was using to sign it. It's not the most accomodating type of of writing tool to allow a smooth and easy signature of one's name. In fact, it's such a blunt signing instrument, it's almost like the signer has to paint his name like an artist with a brush, which is completely inconsistent with signing your name in pen. That probably would explain the "deliberate" manner in which it appears to be printed, and also why the signature appears to be on the large side. You can't sign a nice tight neat signature with a paint stick.

The bat is unquestionably good (real). I hope you still have the opportunity to buy it if you haven't already.

Regards,

Steve