PDA

View Full Version : Warning: eBay will be using photos without creators' permission

gwh11
08-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey all,
I found this on another board, and just wanted to spread the word here.

Some might care, some not, but in any event it could be important to know. Check out this text, and accompanying instructions, that are making the rounds of the web right now. I've made the appropriate changes myself already:

Starting on August 31st, eBay is going to institute a new policy where photos you upload to any listing are put into a "catalog" of online images that any eBay user can then use for their own listings. The default setting for this is opt-in, which is a problem if you, like me, consider your photographs your property and want to control how they are used and by whom. A copyright notice is posted with a link to your user profile, but no additional information is given, and the link is quite small.

Since the default setting is opt-in, and eBay has not sent messages out about this, a lot of people are going to be caught flat-footed by this new policy.

Again, the default for this setting is YES, you have opted in. Meaning "Yes, I will allow eBay to make my photos available for anyone to use."

If you do not want eBay to make the photos you upload to all of your future auctions available to other users in a sort of catalog process, you need to go change your settings now, before August 31st. If you opt out after then, any photos you upload between the 31st and when you opt out will still be eligible for inclusion in their "catalog."

In order to opt out of this so-not-okay process, do the following. I've broken it down exhaustively. Hopefully your eBay pages look like mine.

1) Go to your eBay summary page ("My eBay").

2) On the left-hand side, there are three tabs that say "Activity," "Messages," and "Account." Hover over the "Account" tab.

3) A drop-down list will appear. Move your mouse down to "Site Preferences" and click.

4) You will be taken to a page with a list of site options for selling, shipping, and listing. About the sixth from the top is "Share your Photos." Click on the word "show" on the right hand side next to this option.

5) The box will expand, and if you are opted in, "yes" will appear. If you are opted out, "no" will appear. A small "edit" link will appear below the "show" link. If you want to change the settings, click "edit."

6) You will be taken to a new page with the following text: If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "submit" button below.
(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog)

7) If you want to opt out of the program, check the ticky box on the left-hand side next to the text, then go down and click the "submit" button.

8) You will go back to the settings screen you were just on, and there will be a green checkmark and a confirmation message. Go down to the "Share your Photos" option again and click "show." Your setting should now appear as "no."

I am sure that this will be a useful feature for some people, for some items, but the automatic opt-in is not okay with me at all, as I don't want my photographs used to illustrate someone else's auction for a different item, not for any reason whatsoever.

Guy

metsbats
08-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for that valuable info Guy.

I just opt-ed out.

This is just another example of how ebay is providing dishonest people another vehicle for fraud. We've seen it in the past where scam artists listing items from major auction houses. Now they can pick off photos from other sellers on ebay.

allstarsplus
08-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks. In the past, other sellers couldn't use your photos in their listing as it was a violation.

rose14
08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I wish Ebay could provide one legitimate reason for doing this. I can't think of one. Too much potential for fraud.

TriplexXxSports
08-10-2009, 08:30 AM
If you decide to do this with your eBay preferences, please make sure that it shows that you opted out. Don't just assume you have because you click 'submit'. I had to contact eBay via phone for the preferences to update.

godwulf
08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
I wish Ebay could provide one legitimate reason for doing this. I can't think of one. Too much potential for fraud.

It has become a cliche, but it fits here - follow the money.

EBay's Number One Priority is generating sales, and this will obviously be a popular move among Sellers and potential Sellers who either don't have a working digital camera or scanner, or are too lazy or stupid to use one.

That it facilitates fraud and misrepresentation is a relatively unimportant factor to them, as that doesn't impact them negatively - as I'm sure a cost analysis has shown them - in a financial way, as much as instituting the new policy will affect them positively by increasing sales among the aforementioned demographic.

One thing Buyers can do, of course, is to refuse to bid on items whose listings contain "borrowed" photos, and let the Seller know that you want to see a photo of the actual listed item.

fabes23
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Do yourselves a favor and HANDWRITE your ebay name and the date on a piece of paper and put it next to your items that you sell on ebay. It makes it a little more legit.

If i see a seller "joeschmoe" selling a jersey and "billybad" is hand-written next to the item on a piece of paper, obviously they are using "billybad's" photos.

Great info, thanks!

jbsportstuff
08-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I just tried to do this and when I clicked "Submit" after I un-clicked the box...I got an error from Ebay that said,

"Preferences are unavailable right now."

I wonder if many people are doing this and Ebay is trying to keep it from happening.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying.

grenda12
08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I just opted out with my account and the boyfriends.

momen55
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
opted out! thank you for looking out. definitely, ebay is nothing but a monopoly! and getting worse by the minute!

Larry Pelliccioni
08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Hello Guy,
Great catch, thanks for the heads up.
Larry Pelliccioni

sox83cubs84
08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Do yourselves a favor and HANDWRITE your ebay name and the date on a piece of paper and put it next to your items that you sell on ebay. It makes it a little more legit.

If i see a seller "joeschmoe" selling a jersey and "billybad" is hand-written next to the item on a piece of paper, obviously they are using "billybad's" photos.

Great info, thanks!

I don't sell on eBay, but I REALLY likee your idea. If your ID and the date is large enough to be seen, it should make your images useless for any scammers to try and employ. I also suggest placing this ID in the middle, or in an area where a scammer can't crop out the ID without rendering the image useless.

Dave M.
Chicago area

maccamania
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
opted out! thank you for looking out. definitely, ebay is nothing but a monopoly! and getting worse by the minute!

thanks for the info, just updated mine....another big black eye for ebay !!:(

jobathenut
08-11-2009, 04:54 AM
I have said it more than once on here,ebay is a joke.And it just gets funnier on there.I have stopped going on there(my personal boycott,i guess)for almost a year now.I used to buy on there and sell on there but when they went to paypal only,well i stopped going on there.This picture thing is just another example that ebay has no clue what they are doing over there.If you make changes,it's suppose to better your buisness.I mean all the changes they have made starting with the feedback,and then paypal and now this are changes that make no sense to me.I mean i guess they have never heard the saying,"if it aint broke,don't fix it.Things were just fine and didnt need these changes.This picture thing makes me laugh.It's like ebay does'nt want to have any rules they might have to police on there,especially if it takes away from the seller.As ebay is all about the big time sellers,and not the mom and pop sellers like myself that made ebay.Yeah,if i was still on there i would just put my user name on my pictures of my items.But im sure ebay will see people do that and make a rule that you can't do that.And ebay is a total monopoly.Especially when they made that paypal change.The only way you can pay is from a company they own.:(

TriplexXxSports
08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Again I reiterate! Please be sure that if you decide to opt out, go back and make sure that is is confirmed. I was told by eBay that their systems were having troubles with this and they were unsure as to when it will be fixed. Knowing how they love to do what ever they want to us sellers, it would not surprise me in the least if they just magically got them fixed after the 31st.

mvandor
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up, just changed my settings. Another bonehead ebay change.

godwulf
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
And ebay is a total monopoly.Especially when they made that paypal change.The only way you can pay is from a company they own.:(

As I understand it, Sellers must accept PayPal as one potential form of payment, but Buyers do not have to use PayPal if they choose not to...unless (as has always been the case) the Seller insists on it.

xpress34
08-11-2009, 11:56 AM
As I understand it, Sellers must accept PayPal as one potential form of payment, but Buyers do not have to use PayPal if they choose not to...unless (as has always been the case) the Seller insists on it.

GW -

I was just setting up some items for sale and PayPal is the ONLY form of payment you can request as a Seller - NOT 'one potential form of payment'.

When I went just to REVIEW my post, it's scan engine stopped me because I had the words MONEY ORDER in the body of my Text. It told me that PayPal is the ONLY accepted form of payment now for eBay listings.

- Chris

P.S. - I also OPTED OUT of the photo sharing thing along with my wife.

ndevlin
08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
GW -

I was just setting up some items for sale and PayPal is the ONLY form of payment you can request as a Seller - NOT 'one potential form of payment'.

When I went just to REVIEW my post, it's scan engine stopped me because I had the words MONEY ORDER in the body of my Text. It told me that PayPal is the ONLY accepted form of payment now for eBay listings.

- Chris

P.S. - I also OPTED OUT of the photo sharing thing along with my wife.

Ive seen sellers in there pictures putting a piece of paper next to their item that reads..."I accept Money Orders and Personal Checks". Pretty smart really, getting around Ebay that is, and if a buyer really wanted to use that method.

raider1088
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
i just opted out myself.as much as ebay has screwed me with my sales on there,they are getting my pictures.i got 2 words for ebay and it ain't merry christmas!!!!!!!

suicide_squeeze
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Ive seen sellers in there pictures putting a piece of paper next to their item that reads..."I accept Money Orders and Personal Checks". Pretty smart really, getting around Ebay that is, and if a buyer really wanted to use that method.

Guy,

First off, thanks for the wonderfully enlightening thread. I'm sure any of the forum members who are lucky enough to read your post will be greatful.

Nate.....I'll bet the ranch it won't be long before ebay shuts down these types of auctions (ones with pictures stating "I accept money orders and personal checks"). But, get in while the getting's good, I guess.

Yet once again, the little computer geek Gen-Y employees, in an effort to boost the profits of this sesspool called ebay, have come up with their latest attack on the free enterprise system. What they have set up here, essentially a negative-action change to everyone's account (for those of who aren't familiar with this little scam......it means if you DON'T act to offset the change instituted, it will happen automatically.

Banks were using this little gem for a long time in making on-the-fly policy changes to existing accounts before they were found to be illegal, and overturned. The banking industry has since made it law for any mandatory change to first be clearly made by legal notification to the user of the account, typically with record of mailers sent out. The written notice must include an "opt out" provision that clearly asks for the user to indicate his acceptance, or the agreement is that the account will be automatically closed. Not simply updated the way the banks want it. A big difference!).

So ebay, thinking they are once again bigger than the law, is doing whatever they want to enhance their business prospects, while trampling ALL OVER their users rights, and hard work to put on a good auction!

Geezuz K-RIST..........Have I mentioned how much I hate ebay lately?:mad:

jobathenut
08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
To sell on ebay you can ONLY accept paypal(and some other on-line services i believe).But in the good old days(like a year ago)you could buy using a money order and even a check.And as a seller you could accept a money order or a check.And you can't do that now.Way back then,it was left up to the seller to accept what they wanted to.But now as a seller you can only accept what ebay tells you to.And that just happens to be a company they own.And so if you want to buy on ebay,you do have to use paypal.As per ebay rules.:mad: