PDA

View Full Version : Giambi released by A's...

2000mvpfan
08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
....so unless he catches on somewhere (although I really don't know who would want a 38-year old .193 hitter who's still injured..) I'd say he'll be calling it a career real soon.That sucks...

....ah well,I guess pretty soon my answer to "what player do you collect" will be Chase Utley...

Farewell,Giambino!

Joe

ironmanfan
08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
While Giambi was having a miserable season, I think a team in contention could actually use a left handed power hitter for pinch hitting duties (somewhat akind to how the Philles picked up and used Matt Stairs last year). I wouldn't be shocked if he got picked up.

2000mvpfan
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I actually hope that he does get picked up,if just for one last hoorah and chance at a Championship down the stretch..he deserves it-except for the 'roids,he was one of the game's good guys..

whatupyos
08-08-2009, 06:02 PM
A team would be stupid not to pick him up thats in contention, in my opinion. Yeah, might not be the player he used to be, but he still has the pop in his bat. I've seen about 4 or 5 of his bombs at the A's games this year and he's still got it when he gets around on it. He can definately come off the bench for say, the Red Sox, Cardinals or someone and be a big threat. I'm a huge G fan and wish him well.

Aaron

2000mvpfan
08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Plus I'm pretty sure I read whoever signs him is only responsible for paying him the league minimum of $400,000-so how could you go wrong?

whatupyos
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Exactly, but not to be too nit picky, its actually cheaper. Its the pro rated amount of $400,000 which is the current league minimum, so its a bargain. The A's had to eat the $4mil plus the $1.25 mil buyout for his option year of next year. My old roommates girlfriend works at a Chili's in the area and said he's always in there. I got pissed at her for not telling me this sooner. Guess he won't be in anymore. She said he'd always tip 100$ of his bill. He'd come in with his wife, sit in the bar, no one would bother him. She said he loved it there. I agree with you, he's a class act. Always has been always will be. I was bitter as hell when he left. Even boo'd him when he made it back to Oakland as a Yank for a series because I hated to see him go but it was me voicing my frustration. He's a great guy all the way. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a promotional event and shook his hand. He's a stellar dude.

Aaron

jobathenut
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
My brother just emailed me and thinks that the yankees will pick him up to give godzilla a break at dh.I think they might do it so that he can retire as a yankee.Being a huge giambi fan i just would like to see him go out on a high note and not just fade away.I am really surprised that a's did this to him.I guess there is no reward for loyality.He comes back to the team to have them cut him.I understand it's about the team,but they could have handled it better.I sure hope he does sign with the yankees.:)

jobathenut
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I am truely jealous of you and your roommates girlfriend.If i worked there and he came in.I would get fired real fast as i would have a stack of things for him to sign with his meal.Yeah i am not surprised that he is a big tipper.He seems like a very nice gut.And i am really jealous that you got to shake his hand and meet him.Man,that would great to meet him.I would give just about anything to be able to meet him.The closet thing i got was last season at the inflatable toliet they call a stadium here in minnesota.Me and my brother were sitting vip first row by the yankees on-deck.And giambi was standing by me and some twinkies fan was giving him trash about his thong.And i just said,"he is just jealous cause he is not you" and giambi starting laughing and nodded at me.That was worth the price of the tickets.:)
Exactly, but not to be too nit picky, its actually cheaper. Its the pro rated amount of $400,000 which is the current league minimum, so its a bargain. The A's had to eat the $4mil plus the $1.25 mil buyout for his option year of next year. My old roommates girlfriend works at a Chili's in the area and said he's always in there. I got pissed at her for not telling me this sooner. Guess he won't be in anymore. She said he'd always tip 100$ of his bill. He'd come in with his wife, sit in the bar, no one would bother him. She said he loved it there. I agree with you, he's a class act. Always has been always will be. I was bitter as hell when he left. Even boo'd him when he made it back to Oakland as a Yank for a series because I hated to see him go but it was me voicing my frustration. He's a great guy all the way. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a promotional event and shook his hand. He's a stellar dude.

Aaron

sox83cubs84
08-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Well...I guess I'll never collect on the GU cap he promised me during his first stint with the A's and ducked out on giving to me (I traded him a matted Mickey Mantle advertisement from the 1950s). :(

Dave M.
Chicago area

LastingsMilledge85
08-09-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm not sure if Giambi was one of the "good guys" of the game. I'll never forget when he got the chance to be in last years HR derby despite not making the All Star team, and rejected the opportunity because he wouldn't be on the team, and left all Yankee fans with their fake mustaches disappointed.

jobathenut
08-09-2009, 03:50 AM
So because he did'nt want to take part in a stubid home run derby.That makes him not a "good guy".Maybe because he was'nt playing in the game,he thought it would be a waste of his time.Maybe he did'nt want to take part in the stubid contest so he could spend the break time with family and friends.And he felt that was more worth his time than to take part in the stubid contest.That he realized how stubid and pointless the home run derby is.And felt that spending time with his family during the break is better than giving up his break to take part in batting practice.As that's all the stubid thing is.I mean why don't they just have the guys measure themselves.I have no idea what the home run derby proves.WOW,you can hit a home run having a pitcher pitch it right where you want it.Takes no skill at all.Anyway,that's another topic.I think it's silly to say he is not a good guy because of this.I realize it was at yankee stadium and it was the last all season of the stadium and blah,blah,blah.But those fans can see him play in a game.Why would they need to see him in a completely nonsense contest.Just a very silly arguement.:(
I'm not sure if Giambi was one of the "good guys" of the game. I'll never forget when he got the chance to be in last years HR derby despite not making the All Star team, and rejected the opportunity because he wouldn't be on the team, and left all Yankee fans with their fake mustaches disappointed.

David
08-09-2009, 03:51 AM
If a team thinks he's going to continue to play poorly, they'd rather give the time to an up and coming minor leaguer. Each team has a AA or AAA who can do better than bat .193 and can use the experience.

jobathenut
08-09-2009, 04:08 AM
I agree with that.But was'nt there a time when everyones favorite cal ripkin was batting really bad and his team still played him.Now before all you ripkin lovers get on me.I'm not comparing them,i am comparing the situations.Where ripkin's team,put the needs of the team behind a individual record and player.And the a's could have done the same thing for giambi.They could have played him and see if he could hit his way out of it.And made a decision at the end of the season.I mean he derserved a less embarrassing way to end his career.But i agree with you,you have to hit better than that if you want to play in the majors.And he has proven he is better than that.I just they could have given him the respect to see if he could be that player again for them.:)
If a team thinks he's going to continue to play poorly, they'd rather give the time to an up and coming minor leaguer. Each team has a AA or AAA who can do better than bat .193 and can use the experience.

reed1216
08-09-2009, 04:32 AM
I think the A's were generous in offering Giambi a contract in the first place. Given his sharp decline in New York (which just so happened to coincide with his being caught in this steroid scandal), I think he was lucky to have been offered a chance to start for any team. His production this year, or lack thereof, was more than enough reason to cut him.

Baseball's a business and I can probably name a half dozen others, who haven't been implicated for cheating, who have been treated worse by their teams. Giambi might be a nice guy, but he cheated and it's hard to imagine him having the career he enjoyed, without the illegal substances he used during his prime.

I wish Giambi all the best and if he happens to catch on with a contender down the stretch and can contribute, more power to him. But nobody in Major League Baseball owes him a thing. He's made many millions of dollars playing a sport he enjoyed. While he might have been polite to fans, I wouldn't want a sub .200 hitter on my roster, let alone starting at first base. When you consider the harm he (and many others) have done to the game, I find it difficult to join the Giambi pitty-party bandwagon.

ironmanfan
08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I agree with that.But was'nt there a time when everyones favorite cal ripkin was batting really bad and his team still played him.Now before all you ripkin lovers get on me.I'm not comparing them,i am comparing the situations.Where ripkin's team,put the needs of the team behind a individual record and player.And the a's could have done the same thing for giambi.:)

Hey Joba, I hate to break it to you, but Cal "Ripken" never was hitting under the Mendoza line after 83 games...Giambi had 73 strike outs this year and Cal's highest strike total in a season was only 78 ....Oh, and don't forget that Cal could also help the team win with his defense as well (there wasn't one pitcher on the Orioles staff that didn't want the ball hit to Cal in a big situation).....Not the same situation at all...No matter how you sliced it, the Orioles were always a better team with Ripken in the lineup (can't say that for the A's)

suave1477
08-09-2009, 10:21 AM
As much as I would like to see some team pick him up before the season is over.

Here is something to think about.

Frank Thomas is still waiting to be picked up and no one has.

2000mvpfan
08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
..I think jobathenut's got it right-and I'm pretty sure at the time he declined to participate,that Giambi had mentioned to interviewers that he was looking forward to spending the break home in Nevada.And who can blame him?He had already won a derby and I'm sure at this point in his career he needed the rest more than another title-and I'm also sure he would of been killed in the NY press had he participated and then had his numbers spiral down even worse...

Just my .02...
Joe

2000mvpfan
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh,and don't think the A's were as generous as they appeared.No matter what else Giambi is,he is still EXTREMELY popular in the Bay Area and they were gonna milk that for all they could.First stadium giveaway of the season?a Giambi schedule poster..he's also on a schedule magnet,the yearbook cover,and a bobblehead being given out on 8/21 (which I hope they still give away!).So Oakland was definetely looking to put asses in the seats..

Carlevv
08-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Well...I guess I'll never collect on the GU cap he promised me during his first stint with the A's and ducked out on giving to me (I traded him a matted Mickey Mantle advertisement from the 1950s). :(

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave, what is your email address?

sox83cubs84
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Dave, what is your email address?

ballhawk396@hotmail.com

Dave M.
Chicago area

suicide_squeeze
08-09-2009, 11:04 PM
jobathenut,

Do you think there's any chance that the reason Jason Giambi didn't want to be in the home run derby, which by the way is one of the most popular events the weekend of the All-Star break, is because he's not on steroids anymore?

When he won the home run derby years ago, he was hercules. His arms were so pumped up with chemicals, I thought his skin was going to tear.

So, at this point in his career, do you think maybe he didn't want to make a complete fool out of himself by attempting to match his steroid-induced showtime from yesteryear?

Just a thought.

jobathenut
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I knew when i mentioned the great cal,that i would hear from you.I did'nt mean any offense.I was not comparing numbers,as i know cal had better.As i went on baseball reference to look up his stats to be sure.And i was wrong,as he only batted once under .200 and that was his rookie season.But i did notice that he sure had alot of errors in the field,almost 30 a couple of seasons.I was just trying to make the point that the a's didnt handle it good.As every player has slumps,and they could've been more respectful to him.You did'nt see cal's team cutting him in the middle of the season.And you really can't compare the two playing wise as they were different type of players.Again,i have always loved reading your post's and didnt mean any offense to you.And i am so sorry i misspelled his name.That's just my poor grammer.It's "ripken".and not "ripkin",i am such a idiot.Hope we are still good.:)
Hey Joba, I hate to break it to you, but Cal "Ripken" never was hitting under the Mendoza line after 83 games...Giambi had 73 strike outs this year and Cal's highest strike total in a season was only 78 ....Oh, and don't forget that Cal could also help the team win with his defense as well (there wasn't one pitcher on the Orioles staff that didn't want the ball hit to Cal in a big situation).....Not the same situation at all...No matter how you sliced it, the Orioles were always a better team with Ripken in the lineup (can't say that for the A's)

jobathenut
08-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey thanks joe-mvpfan-I am happy to know i'm not all alone on this.Me and you brother.You got to love the haters though.I mean how many names on that steriod list and people still jump all over him for it.Even though he was a man about it and admitted to it.And did'nt play the childish quote,"i did'nt know it was that".I get sick of hearing haters on here.I mean how many years ago was that.Those people really need to build a bridge and get over it.The guy deserved better than what the a's did to him.I will admit he is at the end of his career.But if he agrees to come back to the a's than have the respect to play at least the season.I just think it was a total slap in the face what they did to him.And that whole derby thing is a joke.What a bad guy for wanting to spend time with his family.But then it was proberly the fact the steriods were the reason why he did'nt join the stubid batting practice.You got to love haters logic.:)
..I think jobathenut's got it right-and I'm pretty sure at the time he declined to participate,that Giambi had mentioned to interviewers that he was looking forward to spending the break home in Nevada.And who can blame him?He had already won a derby and I'm sure at this point in his career he needed the rest more than another title-and I'm also sure he would of been killed in the NY press had he participated and then had his numbers spiral down even worse...

Just my .02...
Joe

LastingsMilledge85
08-10-2009, 01:15 AM
So because he did'nt want to take part in a stubid home run derby.That makes him not a "good guy".Maybe because he was'nt playing in the game,he thought it would be a waste of his time.Maybe he did'nt want to take part in the stubid contest so he could spend the break time with family and friends.And he felt that was more worth his time than to take part in the stubid contest.That he realized how stubid and pointless the home run derby is.And felt that spending time with his family during the break is better than giving up his break to take part in batting practice.As that's all the stubid thing is.I mean why don't they just have the guys measure themselves.I have no idea what the home run derby proves.WOW,you can hit a home run having a pitcher pitch it right where you want it.Takes no skill at all.Anyway,that's another topic.I think it's silly to say he is not a good guy because of this.I realize it was at yankee stadium and it was the last all season of the stadium and blah,blah,blah.But those fans can see him play in a game.Why would they need to see him in a completely nonsense contest.Just a very silly arguement.:(

It just made him look selfish whgen the fans did so much for him that all. He could have paid them back but opted not to and given them something they want, but he was self centered, that's my argument.

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Why is it that when anyone voices a differing opinion, the best line most guys can come up with is that the person is a "hater."

Two things I do not allow anyone, even children, to say about someone else is that they are "stupid" or that they are a "hater."

Now, Joba, you know I like you. I would respect your writing more if you found words to replace "stupid" and "hater."

PS Weren't you at the double-header in the Dome back around the late '90s-early 2000s. Might have been the last double-header played in the Dome. Giambi was playing first. One of the games was Turn Back the Clock too -- Giambi had taken a scissor and cut the sleeves off shorter to fit better. And I think the first game went maybe 16 innings ... and then the night game. Jason G. was in his prime and I enjoyed watching him from just a few seats away. Some day remind me to send you photos I took of him that day.

2000mvpfan
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
No,I think the point of his not being in the derby was why should he spend the whole break in NYC just to participate in it?The rest of the participants were in town for the game anyway-not so for Giambi.
As far as his being ABLE to perform in the derby,I don't think that would of been a problem.As Aaron said earlier,he can still launch one when he gets ahold of one..and could he really have done any worse than Piazza did in past derbies,or even Mauer in this year's??

Take care,
Joe

whatupyos
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
From what I've learned people are always going to differ. Joba, Joe and I are all fans. If others have a differing opinion, that's fine and dandy. All I konw is, I've had nothing but positive experiences with G. He's awesome in my book and nothing will change that. If Lastings has an opinion of G being selfish or whatever, thats his opinion and he's entitled too it, whether the rest of us agree or not. Its too bad, though because it seems to some that G was damned if he did or damned if he didn't. I don't think he should have felt obligated to do the HR Derby to satisfy the fans. Most of the fans there at the All Star Game I'm sure see him take BP every night, so there is not much difference. Why would someone do the HR Debry that wasn't invited to slected to the game? I would not participate myself if I was not an All Star. I didn't think Ryan Howard should have been there about 2 years ago just because he was the winner the previous year. Didn't make any sense to me.

Aaron

LastingsMilledge85
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm just trying to say that the commisioner waived the rules to Jason after he said he would do it and because of the support of the fans and their mustaches. Once Selig gave him the OK, he said that he needs to be on the All Star team too. Maybe it doesn't make him a bad guy, it just makes him look childish.

whatupyos
08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Joe

Didn't know if you knew this or not but there is a game used Giambi throwback on MLB.com now. Its under the Tampa Bay Rays auction site. He had only 1 AB because I think he was taken out due to an injury. It ends on the 28th I believe. I'm holding out for a jersey from this year with the OPD patch. Hopefully they'll have one soon at the games.

Aaron

sylbry
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
PS Weren't you at the double-header in the Dome back around the late '90s-early 2000s. Might have been the last double-header played in the Dome. Giambi was playing first. One of the games was Turn Back the Clock too -- Giambi had taken a scissor and cut the sleeves off shorter to fit better. And I think the first game went maybe 16 innings ... and then the night game. Jason G. was in his prime and I enjoyed watching him from just a few seats away. Some day remind me to send you photos I took of him that day.

Giambi wasn't the only person who cut off the sleeves of his jersey that day. I give you Matt Lawton.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Jerseys/2001LawtonTBTCfront.jpg

2000mvpfan
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks Aaron,I hadn't seen that-I'll check it out when I get home tonite.It'd be great to get it since I missed out on the Mothers Day bats of his which went so exorbitantly high.Did finally manage to get one of his black Yankees M9 bats though,really wanted one for a while now.

Thanks buddy,
Joe

jobathenut
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah,how shelfish to want to spend time with his family and friends.:)
It just made him look selfish whgen the fans did so much for him that all. He could have paid them back but opted not to and given them something they want, but he was self centered, that's my argument.

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Giambi wasn't the only person who cut off the sleeves of his jersey that day. I give you Matt Lawton.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Jerseys/2001LawtonTBTCfront.jpg

Wonderful, Sylbry!!! I don't think I knew/remembered Matty had done it too! (Gosh, he was such a nice guy.) Hope to find those photos to see if I got it on film. If so, I'll send them to you for Christmas. I'll bet I remembered Giambi's "personally altered jersey modification" more because his left bicep was about the size of my waist and the barb-wire tatoo showing. (On his bicep, not my waist!)

I do soooo remember that set of TBTC jerseys. I thought they looked a bit lame that year but that was the replica. I remember Luis Rivas running the bases and looking like he had Shaq's pajamas on.

I have Cordova's TBTC 1997. That was a classy looking uniform! They were the navy blue St. Paul Saints, I think. Beautiful letter/logo on front in Olde English font, if I remember right. I'll post that in a separate thread soon. Would like to find uniform pants and belt.

LastingsMilledge85
08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah,how shelfish to want to spend time with his family and friends.:)

I think he went to Vegas and hit the Casinos, Joba :cool:

suicide_squeeze
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey thanks joe-mvpfan-I am happy to know i'm not all alone on this.Me and you brother.You got to love the haters though.

Who's a hater? I always kinda liked Giambi, even thought he made some seriously bad decisions and go the cheaters route. Through it all, he always seemed like a fairly good guy, otherwise.

I mean how many names on that steriod list and people still jump all over him for it.

Well, isn't he one of the cheaters? Should time passed be the only factor in dealing with these cheaters? Or....as their stats and records will be printed for eternity, should they be dealt with in the same manner? That's a nongoing debate, which will be seen over and over again every January when they announce the results of the Hall Of Fame voting.

Even though he was a man about it and admitted to it.And did'nt play the childish quote,"i did'nt know it was that".

Ahhh, no, he wasn't a man about it. A true man never would have cheated the game he loved, the game that has all of the history it does, the game that has all of the fans that made him who he is, the game that paid him all of the money he now has. He also never confessed it like a man. He simply came out and said "I'm sorry for the mistakes I made. Period, no mention of the words, "steroids" in his original (or subsequent) apologies.

I get sick of hearing haters on here.I mean how many years ago was that.

Again, time doesn't erase the damage done to this game by these guys.

Those people really need to build a bridge and get over it.

Do we? Or is it you, who's fanhood for one guy has biased yourself in such a manner that true baseball fans who cherrish the game are looked at as "haters"? I think you should reconsider. Some of us like this guy, too, Joba, but not over the loss of the integrity of the game.

The guy deserved better than what the a's did to him.

Did he? He was batting below the mendoza line. His skills have fallen, and the fact is clearly it's because they're testing, so he isn't able to make it any longer on skill alone. Maybe he should have just retired and walked away from the game with some class, instead of creating this need for a team to do something you are unhappy with. Baseball is a business, and Giambi wasn't holding up his end of the bargain any longer.

I will admit he is at the end of his career.But if he agrees to come back to the a's than have the respect to play at least the season.

Like the respect he showed baseball by cheating?

I just think it was a total slap in the face what they did to him.

And what about the slap in the face he gave the fans and the owners he took millions from. The disgrace will live on for many decades.

And that whole derby thing is a joke.What a bad guy for wanting to spend time with his family.

What other excuse should he use....."Hey, since I'm not worthy, and it would be a disgrace for me to perform in the derby like Piazza and others have, I'm just going to go to VEGAS".?? Nooooo, It's the old "I want to spend time with my family" excuse. It works every time.

But then it was proberly the fact the steriods were the reason why he did'nt join the stubid batting practice.You got to love haters logic.:)

Actually, you missed it by 180 degrees. It was the LACK OF steroids that made him choose to not perform in the "batting practice" derby as you call it.

But you know us haters.......we're just "stubid".;)

My highlighted responses above.

Carlevv
08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks Aaron,I hadn't seen that-I'll check it out when I get home tonite.It'd be great to get it since I missed out on the Mothers Day bats of his which went so exorbitantly high.Did finally manage to get one of his black Yankees M9 bats though,really wanted one for a while now.

Thanks buddy,
Joe

Joe whats your email address?

reed1216
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
suicide_squeeze- I never thought I'd hear myself think this, but I completely agree with your last post. :D
I especially agree with you on the part about actually liking Giambi, despite his poor choice to use PEDs. I loved it when the Yankees signed him and was pulling for him to succeed, even after he was caught. The situation is what it is. Giambi really seems like a great guy, who made some mistakes. As someone who has made his own share of mistakes, it would be hypocritical for me to dislike him forever based on that alone. I really do hope that he can catch on and show the world he still has it, but I won't be holding my breath. Based on the timing of his rapid decline, it's very hard to imagine him being the player he once was, without the aid of PEDs.

jobathenut
08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
He actaully said ,he was taking the time to spend with his family and friends.
I think he went to Vegas and hit the Casinos, Joba :cool:

whatupyos
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
My highlighted responses above.

Steve,

Correct me if I'm wrong. You mentioned about Giambi not doing steriods as being the reason for not doing the HR Derby the last year in NY, or something to that effect...(sorry if I misquoted you, I'm trying to paraphrase). I understand what you're saying but isn't it true they don't have testing for HGH? So its not inconceivable that guys could still be cheating the game since they don't have testing for it. I've never done any HGH or steriods, I just know a lot about it. Wrote a paper about it in college, but I'm under the impression that there is no real test for it. I'm curious why its so hard to test for?

I used to work for a big biotech company in the bay area. They make a drug for people with severe growth hormone deficiency problems. I was told that people would kill to get that stuff we made because it was the best stuff. Stuff the body builders would kill for. I saw on the local news that some people had been busted for stealing the products and selling them at a local supplement store. It made me laugh because there always seem to be people that will do anything to "get head" no matter what that be in life. Cheating taxes, cheating drug tests, cheating competition.

Regards,

Aaron

suicide_squeeze
08-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Steve,

Correct me if I'm wrong. You mentioned about Giambi not doing steriods as being the reason for not doing the HR Derby the last year in NY, or something to that effect...(sorry if I misquoted you, I'm trying to paraphrase). I understand what you're saying but isn't it true they don't have testing for HGH? So its not inconceivable that guys could still be cheating the game since they don't have testing for it. I've never done any HGH or steriods, I just know a lot about it. Wrote a paper about it in college, but I'm under the impression that there is no real test for it. I'm curious why its so hard to test for?

I used to work for a big biotech company in the bay area. They make a drug for people with severe growth hormone deficiency problems. I was told that people would kill to get that stuff we made because it was the best stuff. Stuff the body builders would kill for. I saw on the local news that some people had been busted for stealing the products and selling them at a local supplement store. It made me laugh because there always seem to be people that will do anything to "get head" no matter what that be in life. Cheating taxes, cheating drug tests, cheating competition.

Regards,

Aaron

First off, Thanks to Reed for the kind comment......I think;)

Aaron,

Even though I kind of tongue-n-cheek it, you correctly paraphrased it.

Let's be realistic about it. Giambi knows that the year he won the home run derby, he was at or near the top of his game......and his PED use.

If he were to perform in the same capacity.....as a participant in the home run derby last year......he is smart enough to know that at age 37 (then), and clean from everything he was taking, his showing would've been much less than the year he won it, and potentially dismal.

Add to that the fact that he had a growth in his head that was career (if not life) threatening while with the Yankees, I would guess Aaron that he is not using HGH at this point, detectable or not, simply because of the health issues he suffered from.

If he is crazy enough to be using something after all he's been through, then I guess there's nothing that would surprise me. But, he is smart enough to know that he shouldn't display his home run hitting ability at his age, and off the juice, so I suggested the easy way out was to say he wanted to take the much needed time off to spend with family (& friends, sorry Joba!).

Whatever the case, whatever the truth, I wish him well, because like McGwire, he's a baseball guy, seems to be a genuine human being, and for whatever reason, I just like him. I hope he finds one last burst, somewhere, and ends his pretty darn good career on his terms. If it could only be that way for all of them.

LastingsMilledge85
08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Do you always believe what the "players" tell you, maybe he did spend time with family, but of course he would never say that he would have a night on the town even if that's what his intent was?

whatupyos
08-11-2009, 01:07 AM

Aaron,

Let's be realistic about it. Giambi knows that the year he won the home run derby, he was at or near the top of his game......and his PED use.

If he were to perform in the same capacity.....as a participant in the home run derby last year......he is smart enough to know that at age 37 (then), and clean from everything he was taking, his showing would've been much less than the year he won it, and potentially dismal.

Add to that the fact that he had a growth in his head that was career (if not life) threatening while with the Yankees, I would guess Aaron that he is not using HGH at this point, detectable or not, simply because of the health issues he suffered from.

If he is crazy enough to be using something after all he's been through, then I guess there's nothing that would surprise me. But, he is smart enough to know that he shouldn't display his home run hitting ability at his age, and off the juice, so I suggested the easy way out was to say he wanted to take the much needed time off to spend with family (& friends, sorry Joba!).

Whatever the case, whatever the truth, I wish him well, because like McGwire, he's a baseball guy, seems to be a genuine human being, and for whatever reason, I just like him. I hope he finds one last burst, somewhere, and ends his pretty darn good career on his terms. If it could only be that way for all of them.

Steve,

I hear you my friend. I didn't mean to imply that G was still using HGH, I just mean its conceivable anyone out there could still be using. There are some guys with size and some not. I think you'd be nuts to still use anything in question. But I'm sure there are those that still feel the need to risk it. I surely wouldn't use anything. I could see where it would be damn tempting. Heck, I've never done a drug in my life, but if I was to try something it would be the juice just to see how much more strength I could gain. But I'm paranoid about putting any junk in my system, and I hate needles(I know there are other ways to take juice without needles). Its sad really. My best friend is a super talented baseball player but when he was going to tryouts he kept getting told "you're too small". He's 6'1 and 175lbs. As ripped as anyone could get naturally but not huge. He should be playing pro ball. But when he was doing the tryouts, all the scouts were obsessed with the big, huge strong guys. I feel so naieve because I look up to these guys and thought they were getting big naturally through hard work. It is possible to do it without juice, but the juice definately helps pack on the lbs quicker. I was always impressed when someone would show up to spring training with 15lbs of muscle and thinking, I wish I looked like that. I guess now we know how it happened. Its too bad. Total bummer.

Aaron

Carlevv
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Aaron,

Dude, the only reason Bud Selig asked Jason to be in the contest is because of the lack of guys willing to do it. When is the last time a guy not in the all star game itself has ever been in the HR contest? I think Ryan Howard did it and he is an idiot for doing it. At Jason's age of 37 why wouldnt he want those days off? If Jason was voted in the game by the fans like he almost was he told Selig he would participate. Believe it or not most players that go to the all star game dont like going. They are honored to be there but its an exhausting two days and most would rather be at home sleeping in their own beds. You cant get on a guy for not wanting to be in a stupid HR hitting contest.

suicide_squeeze
08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Dude, the only reason Bud Selig asked Jason to be in the contest is because of the lack of guys willing to do it. When is the last time a guy not in the all star game itself has ever been in the HR contest? I think Ryan Howard did it and he is an idiot for doing it. At Jason's age of 37 why wouldnt he want those days off? If Jason was voted in the game by the fans like he almost was he told Selig he would participate. Believe it or not most players that go to the all star game dont like going. They are honored to be there but its an exhausting two days and most would rather be at home sleeping in their own beds. You cant get on a guy for not wanting to be in a stupid HR hitting contest.

Carleev,

I don't disagree with your scenario at all.

All I am saying is, once it was obvious that Jason wasn't going to be an All-Star, the decision was made easy for him.

Trust me when I say that as a pro player, to be on the biggest stage of the year in your sport (2nd to the World Series only for the two teams that get there), what does that say about you if you do not want to participate?

Again, I like Giambi, so I don't really care what the truth is......and I'll completely accept his explanation, since he wasn't voted into the All-Star game.

This isn't that big of a deal. I just know that he is "relieved" he didn't have to make a choice, as an All-Star, to participate in the HR Derby. It's all about the fans. We pay these guys salaries......the ones that choose to "sit it out" are bums......IMO.

2000mvpfan
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Carlevv-its baldgannon@yahoo.com

Aaron-MLB also has a game-used base from the Oak/Cle ALS game signed by Garko and Giambi..pretty cool base,opening bid $300,no bidders as yet..

Joe