PDA

View Full Version : Removing an Autograph from a Jersey

hockeytigers
08-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I took a few of your suggestions on using Ink-Away to remove an autograph from a jersey and it worked GREAT!! It completely removed the autograph that was in black Sharpie. I used it on a jersey that was about 30 years old and was afraid at first, but after it dried, there was no indication at all on the jersey that I used anything. It cost me about $20 (with shipping) for a bottle and I bet that a bottle can be used for 25 or more jerseys. I also used about 50 Q-tips and a bunch of paper towels...let me know if you need any help in doing this for yourself and I can go into detail and talk you through how I did it.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!

frikativ54
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, does this work for paint pen too? Not that I want to remove anything; I am just curious.

hockeytigers
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
The jersey had some silver paint pen on it and it removed that as well...super stuff!!!

cordovacollector
08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
If it is a common jersey that came to you washed, after removing the ink, I would sure as shootin' want to find a way to remove any chemical left behind. I'd give it a wash. Mild soap, lotsa rinse, first rinse regular spin, all the rest, gentle.

BETTER ADVICE: Do the following before you start to experiment.

Talk to a professional dry cleaner for advice, or better yet a museum conservator. Or yet the best, the conservator at the baseball HOF. Send him an email with photos of the item, the problem, your potential treatment (include the product name), and ask what his advice would be. And at least the offer to pay a fee for an opinion, so the choice is up to them. Most conservators love to help!

What happens if 10 to 15 to 25 years from now you have a great jersey with a chemically caused "age spot" or stain or deterioration? What if indirect sun doesn't hurt the reat of the jersey but starts turning that area a different shade.

(It's an aside, but just how many of us have great auto's reduced to a fraction of their worth on those weird baseballs from just 1995-6 or so that all looked like they rolled around in some ballpark urinal?)

I never do anything permanent to a jersey without talking to a museum conservator. Especially if it is a valuable jersey ... I let THEM remove the unwanted stuff.

But you can tell, I am a perfectionist when it comes to preserving my items. Mine might not be HOF stuff (Well, some is) but it gets treated like it.

packerfan
08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Did you use the Ink-away pads to remove the autograph or another version?

Thanks

hockeytigers
08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
The Ink Away I used was in liquid form in a small plastic bottle.

Dewey2007
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I took a few of your suggestions on using Ink-Away to remove an autograph from a jersey and it worked GREAT!! It completely removed the autograph that was in black Sharpie. I used it on a jersey that was about 30 years old and was afraid at first, but after it dried, there was no indication at all on the jersey that I used anything. It cost me about $20 (with shipping) for a bottle and I bet that a bottle can be used for 25 or more jerseys. I also used about 50 Q-tips and a bunch of paper towels...let me know if you need any help in doing this for yourself and I can go into detail and talk you through how I did it.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!

Do you have before and after pics you could post? Also was the auto on the jersey itself or on the numbers? Thanks!

MUSEOVEN
08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Hello Can You Post Any Picture Of The Ink Away? Thank You

hockeytigers
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Here is the before and after pictures...and the Ink Away

packerfan
08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. I have a St. L Cardinals jersey that is autographed by a player no one has ever heard of. Only played about 9 games in the majors. Bought the jersey for the jersey and not the auto so I'd like to remove the signature. Thanks again!

packerfan
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, I just used Ink-Away on two of my jerseys. They both are 1992 knik Cardinal jerseys that were worn and autographed by the same player. The first auto was in pretty heavy black Sharpie and not all of it came out. I followed the directions and used a Q-tip to agitate the fabric. The sharpie was so heavy that the ink started to run. I ended up putting it in the washer in cold water and then tried again. The ink runs came out but you can still read the auto, especially where the sharpie was turned tby the player to complete the auto. The second one was a breeze. No indication at all that an auto ever existed. Of cource, it wasn't as heavy as the first one. I'll try one more time with the first one to see what happens. Great stuff though.

hockeytigers
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's how I did it...

I wet the jersey down first. Then I placed a few papertowels inside the jersey below the autograph and poured some of the ink-away in a paper cup. I then used the q-tips to saturate the area of the jersey where the autograph was with the ink-away. Let it sit for a minute, then used the q-tips and was able to wipe off the autograph slowly but surely with a ton of q-tips (that I dipped in the papercup first). After most of the autograph was removed, I used wet papertowels and applied pressure to the autographed area. When I removed the paper towel that was under the jersey, you could read the autograph almost perfectly on the papertowel. I did this procedure for about 2 hours...and it took it all off. On my jersey, the autograph did not bleed through so the sharpie must not have been pressed very hard during the autograph. You might want to repeat the process to the inside of the jersey and see it that takes the remainder of the auto off...

Good luck!!

NEFAN
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you think it will work as well on numbers?

JackHE
08-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi all, does anyone have a website or # to get some Ink-Away ? I have done a variety of searches and ebay but can't find anything that looks like the picture posted.

Thanks
Jack

hockeytigers
08-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I bought mine from www.jondon.com (http://www.jondon.com)

It cost me around $20 with shipping.

JackHE
08-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks - the bottle looks different but must be the same stuff.

Jack