PDA

View Full Version : NFL Launches Estimated $200M Campaign; Allows Sponsorship Logos on Jerseys

cjw
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/entry/44487/nfl-launches-estimated-200m-campaign-allows-sponsorship-logos-on-jerseys/?utm_source=mbp&utm_medium=email&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=newsletter

TriplexXxSports
08-07-2009, 05:17 PM
It is just a damn shame. Like buying out the stadiums and renaming them after their sponsors isn't enough.

I noticed that each team has a different sponsor on their practice gear, is it going to come down to the gamers as well!?

Why don't these people give the money to the suffering economy, or the elderly, or the charities. If they have $200 million to blow, they should make it useful.

I for one will now veto any purchase or affiliation with any company that exploits the teams of the NFL.

Next is the Majors, NHL, Golf, Tennis, etc. This is the beginning of a long term relationship between sports & big dollar companies, and it is BS!

Eric
08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
This deal is for practice jerseys. Some teams already have them and have for a couple of seasons now...

reed1216
08-08-2009, 06:47 AM
This is all in an effort to make a buck... I really don't have a problem with it and it will not impact my collecting habits. Things evolve and jerseys/equipment are no exception. I'd love to own a game worn HOFer flannel from a Yankee, but due to prices, it probably isn't feesible for me. I like the knits and have a few, which makes me more than happy. In fact, I would bet that the introduction of knits has driven and will continue to drive the prices of flannels up in the long term. I would like to hope that, as more cool base jerseys are produced, the knits will also one day carry a premium.

Hockey jerseys went through a huge change when the Reebok jerseys were introduced a few years ago. While I'd love to own a wool jersey of a HOF caliber NHL player, the prices for them are way out of my league. Instead, I have grown to appreciate Ultrafil jerseys of the late 1980s-early 1990s. I also like the knits, but the Ultrafils are much more to my liking. I don't own any of the new NHL Reebok jerseys, but wouldn't mind adding one to my collection at some point. At worst, it would be representative of the era in which it was worn.

To me, a player jersey represents as much about the player as it does the era in which it was worn. If advertisements on regular season jerseys become the norm, it will be representative of that era. I'm a lot more concerned with ascertaining what's real from fake than I am voicing an opinion on what preference suits me, with respect to material or advertisements. In the end, what makes the most sense for me, is to collect jerseys with rock-solid provenence if not photomatched, that represent the players I enjoy(ed) following in the eras they performed in.

nomo121
08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
If mlb or nhl does what the WNBA did, i will swear off and never buy a jersey again. Check out the sparks and some of the other teams. The corporate logo is where the team logo should be.

josportsco
08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I wondered when a thread like this was going to start. Well as you all know we josportsco.com are in heavy with the NFL. We were approached by several teams to place our JOSportsCo logo on the jerseys. It is laughable to me. We pay the team a large some of money for marketing rights and equipment and then I have to pay more for a logo on a practice jersey? I am very proud of what we have built and how far this industry has come the last thing I want to see is corporate trash on these relics.

Jarrod

TriplexXxSports
08-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I wondered when a thread like this was going to start. Well as you all know we josportsco.com are in heavy with the NFL. We were approached by several teams to place our JOSportsCo logo on the jerseys. It is laughable to me. We pay the team a large some of money for marketing rights and equipment and then I have to pay more for a logo on a practice jersey? I am very proud of what we have built and how far this industry has come the last thing I want to see is corporate trash on these relics.

Jarrod

Well said Jarrod! I'm glad to hear that you declined the offer.

nyjetsfan14
08-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Jarrod

Like most, I too dislike this move of sponsorhips on practice jerseys because we all know that the road eventually leads to game jerseys. That being said, with the sheer amount of jerseys, and other items, worn by current players and the mass marketing of these game used items (from all sports) - I would hardly consider any of these pieces "relics." Happy collecting to all...