PDA

View Full Version : Why do you collect?

gingi79
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I think we all have friends or family members who see our collections and ask, "Wow, that's cool." or "Why would you own this?" I have friends who follow the same teams I do but have no interest in collecting game worn jerseys, hats, bats, sticks, helmets, etc. So when I started to get the question from people in my life, I compiled a list of reasons and I wanted to know the opinions of the board members here as well.

1) My campers and students think I'm awesome not only because I show them real game used material but because I show them how to figure out if something is real or not based upon tagging, lettering, font etc. The highlight of my summer was when my camper Adam asked a seller at a mall how he could sell fake jerseys and claim they were real. The shop owner became all indignant and asked me to remove the "unruly brat" but not before Adam showed a handful of customers why the "authentic" Tom Brady Patriots jersey was just a sweatshop knockoff using a real Dolphins jersey I helped him purchase the day before. In fact, his dad now collects Kansas City Royals stuff and asks me all the time how to get bats.

2) My dad is currently battling Mesothelioma. I collect jerseys from people I associate with him. When he made me read Dave Barry's article from Tropic when it was reprinted in The Best Sports Writing of 1992 and then discussed why Grant Long was a throwback to the better, less selfish days of the NBA I became a huge fan. One of the last nights out I had with my dad was to meet Bill Russell. You better believe I have a Grant Long Game Worn jersey hanging next to my Russell Mitchell and Ness jersey right now. Next up, Harry Carson. (Know where I can get a gamer?)

3) My wife caught the bug so collecting for us is now a couples hobby. Now when I hear about a Shawn Camp or a Sami Salo or a Matt Diaz item, she gets just as excited as I do. She is also helping in the planning of the basement of our first house to best display our collection.

These are just 3 of the reasons I answer Why do you collect?

For those of you who collect bats or helmets, I'd love to hear your reasons. If you read mine and shook your head or have your own about any game used stuff, my wife and I would love to hear about it. You can post here for all to share or email me at gingi79@aol.com to share privately. Either way, thanks for your input and good luck with you collections. May you enjoy them as much as we enjoy ours.

Matt and Jennie Nachamkin

NYCrulesU
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
For the love of the game.

suicide_squeeze
08-06-2009, 11:57 PM
2) My dad is currently battling Mesothelioma.

Matt and Jennie Nachamkin

Matt (and Jennie),

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. Mesothelioma seems to be coming alarmingly more prevalent in todays world.....the result of many years of exposure to a products that destroy the inner workings of our bodies, and cause cancer.

My wife's best friends mother has had radical surgery to fight off this horrible infliction that caused her to have an intestinal blockage (she has it in her pleural cavity, not the lungs). Her husband spent many years as a plumber before running his own very large and successful plumbing company, and she apparently was exposed to it by doing his laundry every day.

I have had two friends who have died from it.....one was only 43 years old.

I wish you and your father the best of luck in his fight. My heart and thoughts are with you.

When I have a bit more time, I will revisit this post to tell you two why I collect.

My best wishes,

Steve

gingi79
08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Matt (and Jennie),

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. Mesothelioma seems to be coming alarmingly more prevalent in todays world.....the result of many years of exposure to a products that destroy the inner workings of our bodies, and cause cancer.

My best wishes,

Steve

(Not to hijack my own thread but it was on top)

Steve,

Jen and I thank you for your well wishes. My dad has good days and bad with this disease and the worst part has been the ebb and flow. He too has a pleural catheter which needs to be drained daily. It awful to see the strongest person in my life brought low by this disease. Thank god for my wife. Knowing he may only have a few days left on this earth, she gave up every little girls dream of a big wedding. Her family lives like 8 hours away and they gave their blessing for her to do something small without them.

In short, she gave up the catering hall, her bridesmaids, all of her friends, her grandparents, her sister even her mom and dad, the dress, and the honeymoon (we're still saving) to get married in the den of my parents house just so my father could see his oldest son get married. More than 50% of weddings result in divorce in this country. Maybe if couples were half as unselfish as my wife, that statistic wouldn't exist. When she says she loves me, she shows it. I'd continue this post but I can't see with these watery eyes.

Swoboda4
08-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Good question. For me, its part love of the game and part..I guess psychological. The psych is a two part answer. (1) In 1968 my father decided to take me to batting helmet day at Shea. In the car we go. What's better than that? Only problem was he hears on the radio the game is sold out and turns around and goes home. (2) Being athletic but never having played little league ,I decided to make my H.S. baseball team cold from a tryout. Made the J.V. and only 1 game in varsity. Always wanted to wear the H.S. baseball jacket (with the uniform number on the sleeve)in school but didn't get to. Flash foward 30 years to 2009.For purely clinical reasons I put on my David West Met jacket (w/#46 on the sleeve) and recently took a walk around the old H.S. field. It felt good.

Overall this is a great question and one that many have asked me.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aviola8.jpg?t=1249633038

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aventura20.jpg?t=1249633118

Oh,..and I finally got a helmet-a real one:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/adesi.jpg?t=1249633359

bucephalus
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Game used football helmets

Love of the sport. Searching for a significant piece is part of the fun. Finding and buying something worth-while is rewarding. It's hopefully a terrific investment. It's a tangible investment, which provides enjoyment by possessing a piece of sports history, that can either be be passed on to the next generation, or sold for a sustantial profit. Unlike something like comic books or stamps ... imperfections are deemed part of the value. The hobby looks great if properly displayed. And on and on ...

Sorry for your Father's malady.

Colin

shoremen44
08-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I have alwasy loved baseball... it is something my father and his father before him shared...

I collect because every bat is literally a piece of history, it is the connection to the game I love

suicide_squeeze
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
(Not to hijack my own thread but it was on top)

Steve,

Jen and I thank you for your well wishes. My dad has good days and bad with this disease and the worst part has been the ebb and flow. He too has a pleural catheter which needs to be drained daily. It awful to see the strongest person in my life brought low by this disease. Thank god for my wife. Knowing he may only have a few days left on this earth, she gave up every little girls dream of a big wedding. Her family lives like 8 hours away and they gave their blessing for her to do something small without them.

In short, she gave up the catering hall, her bridesmaids, all of her friends, her grandparents, her sister even her mom and dad, the dress, and the honeymoon (we're still saving) to get married in the den of my parents house just so my father could see his oldest son get married. More than 50% of weddings result in divorce in this country. Maybe if couples were half as unselfish as my wife, that statistic wouldn't exist. When she says she loves me, she shows it. I'd continue this post but I can't see with these watery eyes.

I wish you two a wonderful life together. You have someone special there, and your post says it all.....you already know that.

My prayers to your father....God bless him.

frikativ54
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I collect purely out of wanting to be closer to the action. The bats, the gloves, and the jerseys bring me closer to a game where I have never been able to dream of reaching Big Leagues.

Sadly, despite my collection, people constantly remind me - whether they mean to or not - that I am a second-class citizen and that I am inferior, because I am female.

This makes collecting a double-edged sword. I love to collect, but I constantly ask myself "why". Why not find a pastime where women are equals, where sexism isn't so rampant, and where I actually can dream?

Even though baseball seems like a dead end, I still collect out of a love of a sport where I am never truly an equal participant. I try to stop collecting baseball, but I still do love the game.

suicide_squeeze
08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I have alwasy loved baseball... it is something my father and his father before him shared...

I collect because every bat is literally a piece of history, it is the connection to the game I love

That about sums it up for me, too.

You guys see "Field of Dreams"? There is a part where James Earl Jones gives a little speech.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America is ruled by it like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will come most definitely come."

Baseball, to me, represents the pure and good in our lives. Ithelps us bond as human beings, ties our generations together with something that represents a wholsomeness that we can't find in other facits of life.

That, to me, is what drives me to collect little pieces of the actual history of the game. I like to surround myself by it. It makes me feel good about this often difficult life we all share.

suicide_squeeze
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Sadly, despite my collection, people constantly remind me - whether they mean to or not - that I am a second-class citizen and that I am inferior, because I am female.

This makes collecting a double-edged sword. I love to collect, but I constantly ask myself "why". Why not find a pastime where women are equals, where sexism isn't so rampant, and where I actually can dream?

Les,

Far be it from me to pass out psychological advice, but you should not feel that way. If you are around people that make you feel that way, then I would suggest you either eliminate the need to be around them, and if that's not possible, just simply change your mindset.

You are not a second class citizen. Being female is a blessing. How you handle it is completely up to you.

I have been around long enough on this site to see the past attacks you had to endure. I have seen your opinions and comments, and some of your posts, and although we all don't agree with eachother all of the time, I think a lot of the attacks you were hit with were because of the approach you were taking, fighting back against your belief that you were, as you referred to it, a "second class citizen".

That all horse poop, Les. We're all human beings, and equal. We have to go through this journey called life together. The ones that mean to their fellow humans are the losers. Don't follow them and fall into that pit.

Enjoy your collecting, your dreams, whatever they are. No one can take them away from you. As long as we, as collectors, keep our priorities in order, our collecting can only enhance our enjoyment of life. Do as you see fit, as don't ever let the words of someone else with a cold heart make you feel down. It's the one yielding the sword who in the end will get cut up. Trust me. Karma is a bitch.
Regards,

Steve

allstarsplus
08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
History is made every day. Significant history like Buerhle's Perfect Game or Josh Willingham's 2 Grand Slam game are rarities. Events like World Series, All Star games, openings of new stadiums, closing of old stadiums, and then the walk off HRs and new player debuts always has me wanting more.

I started collecting back in 1998 and my theme was 500 HR Club members. After the whole steroid garbage, it tainted what I was doing so I had a great opportunity when Washington got the Nationals to focus my collecting on the new team and their star players.

So I like finding that significant piece. I only hold on to items that are significant to my collection and I sell the rest.

One day I would love to display my historic items at the stadium with a few other collectors that also have similar themes to my collection. You would be surprised how many there are with likekind interests which really makes it fun.

shoremen44
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoremen44 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=155662#post155662)

That about sums it up for me, too.

You guys see "Field of Dreams"? There is a part where James Earl Jones gives a little speech.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America is ruled by it like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will come most definitely come."

Baseball, to me, represents the pure and good in our lives. Ithelps us bond as human beings, ties our generations together with something that represents a wholsomeness that we can't find in other facits of life.

That, to me, is what drives me to collect little pieces of the actual history of the game. I like to surround myself by it. It makes me feel good about this often difficult life we all share.

Nicely done... On a side note... I have played baseball on the field of dreams field... it still stands in Dyersville, Iowa...

when I was there, there was some 16 year old kid pitching, and just random people playing... when a 5 year got his turn at bat the 16 year old lobbed it to him and we all threw the ball away like 5 times for an infield home run, the kid never stopped grinning... when I got up the 16 year old rared back and gave me everything he had... I am glad to say my ball sailed into the corn... Very very cool place

buckeyegamers
08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I collect mostly football items because it is the sport that I grew to love as a young boy and continue to coach today as an adult. That being said I couldn't agree more with shoremen44 about baseball bringing generations together. I can remember my grandfather taking me to games growing up. I too was lucky enough to visit the Field of Dreams field. We were on our way back to our home in Ohio from a youth baseball tournament in Iowa. We got to the field just before dusk the evening of July 30, 1998. We had the entire field to ourselves. It was just me and a friend of mine and our two 10 year old sons. We spent an hour or so out on the field just playing catch.I remember the day because one of my most prized pieces of memorabilia reminds me of it everyday. On my desk in one of those lucite ball cubes sits the baseball that my son and I used to play catch that day. The two boys went on to be college roommates one playing basketball and the other football but I know that they both still remember that day playing baseball with their dads.

David
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
All I can tell you is I was a collector starting when I was a little kid, and I was the only one in my family who collected. Genetics? I don't know. I still have a box of stuff I collected as a kid-- newspaper headlines, campaign buttons, sports cards, through the mail autographs.

Manram
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I collect because my love for the game and having game used items makes me feel like I am really close to the game.

dcgreg25
08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Some really fascinating and touching answers on this thread.

For me there are several answers to this question, many of which have already been touched on. I grew up going to Indians and Browns games at the old Cleveland Stadium with my dad so there is a definite connection to my childhood and my father (a common theme).

At the same time, I am a big sports fan and am fascinated by the thrill of the hunt tracking down items to add to my collection. Collecting GU items is a welcome escape/distraction and I get great pleasure in displaying my items and meeting interesting new people through the hobby.

geoff
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I love BaseBall And grew up on The Game And when I found out about Game Used Collecting back in 2005 And found this Forum I was Hooked.Plus I played BaseBall for 16 Years.BaseBall is something me And my Father always had in Common.He Collects Tobacco BaseBall Cards to this Day and we still talk BaseBall all The Time.I love going to Games and Game Used Items are a Big Part of The Game in my Eyes and always Study What a Player is using on TV or at The Stadium.

Thanks
Geoff

metsbats
08-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Collecting to me is a way to preserve personal memories. It give me a connection to a significant event or era by having a tangible artifact.

karamaxjoe
08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Why do I collect? Because I woke up one morning about 20 years ago with a job, wife and three little kids and I REALLY needed a diversion from lifes many responsibilities. My collection takes me back to a more simple time.:rolleyes:

otismalibu
08-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Just trying to do my part in the preservation of cool.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/76ers.historic.photos/images/julius-erving.lakers.jpg

corsairs22
08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I love baseball, just about every part of it. But the bat collecting is clearly connected to my family. When I was a boy, almost 40 years ago, my grandfather died and I was cleaning out his basement and found some old bats. I cleaned one up, and it was a big old bat with the name of a dead ball star on it. I wrote to Louisville Slugger describing it, and Jack McGrath wrote back saying it was a pro model, ordered for the player's personal use. That bat, and the couple of others that I found there, give me a personal connection to my grandfather and remain my favorite possessions. Then about 20 years ago, I had the chance to buy some bats of pre-war players that my father followed when he was a kid. These bats, too, are among my favorites. My collection has expanded to other players' bats, but there's something of that Shoeless Joe / Field of Dreams / fathers and sons stuff going on there.

Dewey2007
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Sweet photo of the Doctor making a house call !!

Just trying to do my part in the preservation of cool.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/76ers.historic.photos/images/julius-erving.lakers.jpg

brianborsch
08-08-2009, 04:34 AM
I collect because of the plain goodness of the game of baseball. The wooden bats and the outdoor settings. The fact that you will never see the same exact thing happen twice. The pure mathematics of the game and how it is so perfect: The dimensions and schematics of the field and bases. Collecting brings me closer to this ever special sport.

suicide_squeeze
08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Nicely done... On a side note... I have played baseball on the field of dreams field... it still stands in Dyersville, Iowa...

when I was there, there was some 16 year old kid pitching, and just random people playing... when a 5 year got his turn at bat the 16 year old lobbed it to him and we all threw the ball away like 5 times for an infield home run, the kid never stopped grinning... when I got up the 16 year old rared back and gave me everything he had... I am glad to say my ball sailed into the corn... Very very cool place

Bert,

You just gave me a great idea for a late summer field trip/mini vacation.

Is it privately owned?.....or is it open to the public? Do they charge admission? What's the situation over ther in regards to seeing it?

I suppose I could google it and find some info, but it would be nice hearing from someone who's been there.

Thanks,

Steve

cledawgs
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
For the love of the Orange and Brown!

Browns Fan since 1971.....

cordovacollector
08-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I collect purely out of wanting to be closer to the action. The bats, the gloves, and the jerseys bring me closer to a game where I have never been able to dream of reaching Big Leagues.

Even though baseball seems like a dead end, I still collect out of a love of a sport where I am never truly an equal participant. I try to stop collecting baseball, but I still do love the game.

Frikativ!!!! :D

This is the first time on the board that I learned you are one of the Favored Few!!!!! Female baseball collectors!!! Liz is on here too!

We love baseball just as much, we have just as fine of an eye for collectible GU treasures, and I am sure we all share the same longing that we could have lived during the times of the AAGPBBL!

SOME DAY women's baseball will be vibrant again. I even believe it will be an Olympic event. I it will take a catallist though ... someone similar to a BIlly Jean King to women's tennis.

I have always loved it that I grew up in a small town without Little League. If we had Little League I couldn't play. And since I was in high school pre-Title 9, we ha NO sports we could play. Although, during GAA (Girls Athletic Club) after school we could play half-court women's basket ball ... but only on a half court. That meant we played sideways on the court.

Your should move to Minnesota and be a Twins fan. Historically, over half of all attendance is female ... MORE women than men at the games!

And as a GU collector, here in MN who happens to be female, some years I felt like the Pied Piper will all the adoring adolescent boys following me around and listening with stars in their eye to the WOMAN who would teach the the secrets (the men wouldn't) of where to get the best autographs, the polite ettiquette to use that will help you get better autographs, introducing the little guys to the players....

And then to have the joy to see those little guys return to a game as grown college students or men, come down to you seat to find you to tell you thank you. And some even come to introduce their wives. And while they were little kids, their parents and grandparent always knew that if that "Old Lady Baseball Collector" was around, their kids would be safe and certainly would not be misbehaving or getting in trouble. I used to have one young baseball fan that sat in centerfield with his mom for every home game. Every single game from the time I met him of around the age of 6, he would get up from front row centerfield, climb to the top of the Dome, run all the way over to my section over the on-deck circle visitors side, run all the way down to my first row ...... just to say Hello. I felt like a queen ....

I LOVE being a female baseball GU collector. I love being a female former baseball player. I tolerated playing softball occassionally with that big fallutin' thing they called a ball. But as a person .....

I LOVE BASEBALL AND EVERY ASPECT OF COLLECTING!

Swoboda4
08-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Otismalibu,if you want to collect cool you should be digging this:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/history.october15/images/005505786.jpg
http://www.walruscomix.com/rollovers/rockin.jpg

Can you dig this match-up? I know you can:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/U1694983.jpg?size=67&uid=2b071304-a368-4eb9-aa4a-89a7c8ac28b7&uniqID=5105f61a-25a0-4f36-912b-621729b42bb3

You know:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/JE001107.jpg?size=67&uid=51062486-f9b4-482b-96a8-fa8202a78623&uniqID=5ead792d-fbe6-4a9a-bafb-16c641b889e4