PDA

View Full Version : James Brooks Grey Flannel??

Eric
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I noticed some interesting wording regarding a James Brooks Bengals jersey which is currently being sold on ebay and came from a recent Grey Flannel Auction.

I know Champion made Bengals jerseys for at least part of the time Brooks was with the Bengals. He played for them from 84-91. Does anyone know if or when they switched to Russell.

Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Brooks-Game-Used-Worn-Cincinnati-Bengals-Jersey_W0QQitemZ140338080655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20accd2b8f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1021

"Not too sure what to make of this jersey. A last minute bid in a recent Grey Flannel auction that was listed as a game worn jersey and comes with a letter from Grey Flannel stating that it is a game worn James Brooks jersey. Upon further review, James appears to have never worn sleeves that were not cropped just past his numbers. I simply cannot find any pics of him wearing any Bengals jerseys that are not cropped. Maybe someone else can find one and get a steal on this jersey. There are no tags other than the Russell logo on the sleeve. Jersey shows wash wear, but no repairs. You can decide what it is worth. Still a great looking jersey that would display nicely or you can even wear it if you want. I have not seen any old retail model Brooks jerseys to compare this to. Payment must be received within 72 hours of auctions end or item will be relisted."

otismalibu
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
All letters from authenticators should be accompanied by a style match photo. Can't find a photo? Don't write the letter.

mvandor
08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
All letters from authenticators should be accompanied by a style match photo. Can't find a photo? Don't write the letter.

That's... revolutionary!

Or, simply logical. ;)

sox83cubs84
08-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Russell made Benagls jerseys until sometime in the 1986-88 range, when thet team swithced to Champion, actually wearing both suppliers' jerseys during the same games in the transition period. If it has a Russell logo on the sleeve, it wouldn't date any earlier than 1989-90, by which time Champion had the whole shebang. Sounds strange to me.

Dave M.
Chicago area

RKGIBSON
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
According to the big R on the sleeve, this is a '93 jersey at the earliest. The Bengals were wearing Champion and the font type changed when the jersey manufacturer changed from the full blocks to no block. Brooks left the team in '91 while they were wearing Champion. He did crop his sleeves most of the time. Brooks wore a size 44 Russell.

Roger

suicide_squeeze
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
http://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/what_smile.gif