PDA

View Full Version : Baseballs

yanks12025
05-22-2006, 06:56 PM
HI
I HAVE A 1959 RED SOX SIGNED BALL AND ITS STARTING TO FADE ALITTLE. wHAT SHOULD I DO TO KEEP IT IN GOOD SHAPE. I HAVE IT IN A BASEBALL CUBE BUT SHOULD I PUT IT IN THE DARK OR WHAT. AND ITS BLUE INK.

trsent
05-22-2006, 07:28 PM
HI
I HAVE A 1959 RED SOX SIGNED BALL AND ITS STARTING TO FADE ALITTLE. wHAT SHOULD I DO TO KEEP IT IN GOOD SHAPE. I HAVE IT IN A BASEBALL CUBE BUT SHOULD I PUT IT IN THE DARK OR WHAT. AND ITS BLUE INK.

Just do not keep it in any room with direct sunlight and it should be fine.

JCC1968
05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi

I am also curious, I have a baseball signed by Walt Alston that is bearly visible now. Should i shellack it or leave it in the dark? How do you display your baseballs safety?

Jason

suave1477
05-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately there is no true way yet that anyone knows for sure to keep absolute certain that your ball will not fade or get damaged some people say shallack but there is no significant time been set to test that if they will last. Some say dont shallack it cuz eventually over time the chemicals will eventuall erode the ball.

I personally say put the ball in a cube then a small box wrap it over with a towel to keep humidity out. and store it in a cool place out of the sunlight, where its dark and never touch again unless your moving out of your house!!!

Remember one important thing to handling a baseball never touch the ball. If you must hold it with the tips of your fingers by the seams. You do not want to touch the white leather bcuz the oils from your hands will soak into the leather and after time bleed, fade, and ruin it.

metsbats
05-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Because of lack of display space I have keep autographed baseballs in ball cubes and the ball cubes stacked into plastic bins. These balls are pure white and each signature exactly the same as if it was just signed yesterday. We are talking about the Rawlings NL and AL balls signed by HOFers like Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, Dickey, etc.

So my lack of display space actually worked towards helping me preserve these baseballs. Now that I have the space to display I still will not expose these balls to any light and have decided to keep them in the bins!

-David