PDA

View Full Version : Why is the H.O.F. so dark?

Swoboda4
08-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I went to the HOF induction ceremony and afterward visited the Hall of Fame. I was struck by how dimly lit 80% of all the exhibits were. They were very difficult to see. Photography was virtually impossible and that was probably the point. With black ceilings and mini-high hats for illumination I thought I was in a night club most of the time.
I was most impressed with the Hank Aaron exhibit displaying his game used uniform,on a manequin, from the 715 hr.
The town is mostly baseball autograph stores and the area is screaming for a game used store. Still a great place.,

joelsabi
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I went to the HOF induction ceremony and afterward visited the Hall of Fame. I was struck by how dimly lit 80% of all the exhibits were. They were very difficult to see. Photography was virtually impossible and that was probably the point. With black ceilings and mini-high hats for illumination I thought I was in a night club most of the time.
I was most impressed with the Hank Aaron exhibit displaying his game used uniform,on a manequin, from the 715 hr.
The town is mostly baseball autograph stores and the area is screaming for a game used store. Still a great place.,

maybe its to expose the autograph to as little light possible. i dont know what else may fade.

metsbats
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
This is total guess but perhaps it's to preserve the artifacts by reducing the amount of artifical light that they are exposed too?

Whenever the HOF folks handle items or let others handle them they have to wear gloves. I wouldn't be surprise the lack of lighting is so that they think they are preserving and not damaging the artifacts on display.

metsbats
08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
It's not just the Baseball HOF. I used to work at the Museum of Natural History in NYC and it was alway dark there too.

costas
08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
also more lights would lead to more heat and they probably don't want that especially near leather items.

Swoboda4
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't know if that's the reason. I visited the Guggenheim a year ago to see the Normall Rockwell exhibit,among other famous paintings. The interior is painted white, brightly lit and very easy to observe everything. These are pieces that you would believe require thought to display properly and is 1,000 % better to see than Cooperstown. As valuable Americana as we know the HOF items are,they're not going to melt if we can see them without squinting.

rj_lucas
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't know if that's the reason. I visited the Guggenheim a year ago to see the Normall Rockwell exhibit,among other famous paintings. The interior is painted white, brightly lit and very easy to observe everything. These are pieces that you would believe require thought to display properly and is 1,000 % better to see than Cooperstown. As valuable Americana as we know the HOF items are,they're not going to melt if we can see them without squinting.

The pigments used in oil paintings are not subject to fading under normal light levels. The oil is a binding agent, like a varnish.

If you've ever seen an exhibit of tempura or watercolors though, they'll be displayed under reduced light levels.

When we saw the Dead Sea Scrolls a couple years ago, the only light in the room were some very dim lights in the case that held the scrolls. The lights would be on for 30 seconds. Then they'd go out and the entire room would be dark for 30 seconds, except for small lights on the floor so you knew where to walk.

So, could be worse at the HOF, and probably will be in another 2000 years. :)

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

suicide_squeeze
08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Swoboda4,

joelsabi, metsbats, & rj_lucas are 100% correct.

The signatures, memorabilia, uniforms, and such are exposed to as little light as possible to preserve the pieces and minimize fading. The curator and staff handle the pieces with white gloves so as to protect them from acid damage which accumulates over time from coming in contact with the human touch.

If you ever go back, simply ask the curator who is usually present every day the museum is open. He will explain the whole porcedure and intent of this carefully planned out procedure, orchestrated to keep the items donated to the Hall in pristene condition for all of eternity.

As Rick mentioned, artwork made from oil paints are not subject to any color loss or fading form artificial light. That's why in some museums, you see a little light actually mounted to the top of the frame of a given painting, washing light on the whole piece. Others, like the getty center in Brentwood, CA., which houses some of the nicest art pieces in the world, is lit up very bright throughout all of the display rooms. I am not certain if that would be the same case with ink or pencil/charcoal artwork, as they may have undesirable effects from exposure to artificial light.

rj_lucas
08-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Swoboda4,

joelsabi, metsbats, & rj_lucas are 100% correct.

The signatures, memorabilia, uniforms, and such are exposed to as little light as possible to preserve the pieces and minimize fading. The curator and staff handle the pieces with white gloves so as to protect them from acid damage which accumulates over time from coming in contact with the human touch.

If you ever go back, simply ask the curator who is usually present every day the museum is open. He will explain the whole porcedure and intent of this carefully planned out procedure, orchestrated to keep the items donated to the Hall in pristene condition for all of eternity.

As Rick mentioned, artwork made from oil paints are not subject to any color loss or fading form artificial light. That's why in some museums, you see a little light actually mounted to the top of the frame of a given painting, washing light on the whole piece. Others, like the getty center in Brentwood, CA., which houses some of the nicest art pieces in the world, is lit up very bright throughout all of the display rooms. I am not certain if that would be the same case with ink or pencil/charcoal artwork, as they may have undesirable effects from exposure to artificial light.

I can personally attest to the use of white gloves. We did a photo shoot at the Hall of Fame about a dozen years ago involving George Brett's pine tar bat. I've posted this photo before, but it's me holding the bat, white gloves clearly visible.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Swoboda4
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I understand. But there has to be an illumination process that doesn't effect artifacts because it was very dark, similar to a restaurant where you can't read the menu.

Does this mean we're all in trouble with our items for placing them in normal room light (understand to avoid direct sunlight for just about everything) and touching them?
Autographs I know -any light is bad.

It just seems like overkill at the HOF at the expense of actually seeing them.Some items like Tommie Agee's 69 Series glove,or Knight's '86 helmet(blue dyno-tape by the way-I think) I could barely read or see the actual color of. They're not Egyptian relics,but I guess one day they will be.

Below is Agee's '69 glove and Knight's '86 helmet:

staindsox
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Light of any kind is actually quite dangerous to these artifacts. In fact, many of the paper documents they display are duplicates (1920 Joe Jackson contact, the document sending Babe Ruth to the Yankees, Lou Gehrig Mayo Clinic letter, Green Light letter, etc). Most of their storage items are in climate controlled vaults. Their methods are not arbitrary (the staff have museum studies masters degrees).

Chris

rfritz10
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
here are some pics from the aaron display i was up there last wed.

cjclong
08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't know if something has changed, but when I was at the HOF several years ago we went through and I thought it was well lighted and I had no trouble seeing the exhibits and took pictures of some. And I don't think I have the best eyes in the world.