PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre 1996 Game Worn Jersey

fredgarvin
08-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Please give me your opinions on this jersey. Very nice from championship year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRETT-FAVRE-auto-game-worn-used-PACKERS-Jersey-1996-Yr_W0QQitemZ270435992520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3ef73dc3c8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thank you.

BorchertField
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm skeptical.

There's something about the sleeve numbers that doesn't look right. They look too thin in a couple photos, but that could be an optical illusion caused by only seeing half of the letters folded over.

I'm tempted to put in an offer, but before I did I'd want a MEARS evaluation first.

BorchertField
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Quick follow-up: I'm very wary of evaluating a Favre jersey from a couple out-of-focus pictures, especially given recent history (http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/upload/images/PDF/favre.pdf).

That's why I'd want to get MEARS involved.

mattmueller
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Where is Guy Hankel when you need him?

commando
08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Is there even the slightest possibility that there can be a legit Favre jersey out there with no provenance? Personally, the Grey Flannel LOA means nothing to me.

BorchertField
08-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Sure, there's a possibility. The Packers sold gamers, some were given away. I'd say that the possibility is higher for earlier jerseys such as this one - 1996 was before Favre started selling them on his website, and everything now comes with a Certificate of Aurthenticity from him or the team.

Likely? No. But possible.

I'd still want MEARS to take a look at it before I spent a single cent. Heck, even if the jersey came with a folksy and heartwarming letter describing how Favre gave it to a clubhouse attendant in exchange for a Coke, I'd still want MEARS to take a look at it before I spent a single cent

scottanservitz
08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I have to say that since SCD did that article on Favre gamers I've become intrigued to say the least. I did notice the nameplate seems to be acceptable as far as length goes.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/77273122/National-Football-League

The Starter logos seem to be correct placement. I agree that the chances are slim, but with due diligence, atleast a team issue may be had. Little expensive though for that.

sox83cubs84
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
How old is the GFC LOA, if I may ask? The reason I bring this up is, in the late 1990s, when I was employed by them, Grey Flannel did make a bulk purchase of game-used and game-issued jerseys from the Packers, including back-up Super Bowl unies. If the LOA is from a decade or so ago, then this may well be one of them. If it's from the last few years, then that's not the case.

Dave M.
Chicago area

mvandor
08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
How old is the GFC LOA, if I may ask? The reason I bring this up is, in the late 1990s, when I was employed by them, Grey Flannel did make a bulk purchase of game-used and game-issued jerseys from the Packers, including back-up Super Bowl unies. If the LOA is from a decade or so ago, then this may well be one of them. If it's from the last few years, then that's not the case.

Dave M.
Chicago area

November 13, 1996 - but it makes no mention of such a bulk purchase, appears to be one that came individually to them for 1996 auction from an outside source.

gwh11
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
My experience is that you can find legit Favre gamers with no provenance; I've handled a few myself.

Regarding this jersey, I'm not pronouncing it "good" or "bad", but if I were interested in this, here's what I would do:

1) Reference photos and video from the following '96 games: 8/2 vs. Pats, 8/11 vs. Steelers, 8/17 vs. Ravens, 9/1 vs. Bucs, 9/9 vs. Eagles, 9/15 vs. Chargers, 10/14 vs. 49ers, 10/27 vs. Bucs, 11/3 vs. Lions. These are all the green jersey games before the date of the GF letter (you could just focus on these games if you assume the date of the letter to be correct AND you assume this letter was made to accompany this jersey).

2) Compare some aspects of this jersey with the photos and video. Look at the placing and tilt of the NFL shield. Look at how the nameplate is sewn on. Take a close look at the space between the bottom of the Starter sleeve logos and the top of the first yellow sleeve stripe. Look at how the front and back number "4"s are aligned compared to the bottom of the striped collar and nameplate, respectively.

3) Ask the seller to measure the jersey to confirm the tagged size.

Since physically examining the jersey first isn't likely, these are some important starting points.

Something else worth mentioning: Note the holes at the top of the GF letter. There was once a polaroid photo of the jersey stapled there. They did this before putting images directly on the letters.

Guy

BorchertField
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Something else worth mentioning: Note the holes at the top of the GF letter. There was once a polaroid photo of the jersey stapled there. They did this before putting images directly on the letters.

Which have since been removed. Not reassuring.

Thanks, Guy. I didn't know they used to do that.

sox83cubs84
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
November 13, 1996 - but it makes no mention of such a bulk purchase, appears to be one that came individually to them for 1996 auction from an outside source.

That date would have actually been BEFORE their bulk buy. The polaroid photo add-on slipped my mind: that contention is accurate for the era, and the removal of such would be a cause for major caution.

Dave M.
Chicago area

BorchertField
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, he dropped his asking price to $3800, but it still didn't sell.

I'll save the pics, just because this might be an interesting historical thread:

BorchertField
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
The rest:

BorchertField
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
And this one, which he offers as an example of what similar jerseys have fetched at auction:

BorchertField
08-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Just to keep this going, it's been relisted (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRETT-FAVRE-auto-game-worn-used-PACKERS-Jersey-1996-Yr_W0QQitemZ270441413708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3ef7907c4c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) at $3800.

Truth be told, I'm tempted to ask for more information - if it's legit that's a great price.

skinsfan0521
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Just to keep this going, it's been relisted (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRETT-FAVRE-auto-game-worn-used-PACKERS-Jersey-1996-Yr_W0QQitemZ270441413708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3ef7907c4c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) at $3800.

Truth be told, I'm tempted to ask for more information - if it's legit that's a great price.
I don't blame ya... to be honest, there's nothing in this thread that makes me doubt it's authenticity. It seems like people are just skeptical because of all the Favre fakes, not specifically this one.

Either way, I'm not interested in Favre stuff, so I won't be buying it, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Plus, you could probably flip it by consigning it with Gray Flannel again and make a profit.

-Brian

BorchertField
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately, Favre jerseys don't have to be proven fake - they have to be proven legitimate. The burden runs that way.

As for reselling a fake through Grey Flannel, I wish I could. Heck, we could even get Lou Lampson to verify it as authentic, if we were similarly devoid of scruples. Damn my conscience! ;)

skinsfan0521
08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Right, I understand the comment about having to be proven legitimate, it just seems that people are just saying it can't be good w/o any evidence... just the fact that it's a Favre gamer.

I wasn't suggesting that you buy it and re-sell it if you KNOW it's fake. I'm just saying that through this whole thread, nobody has actually determined it's fake. It's possibly got some "issues", but nobody's sure either way.

fredgarvin
08-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree with you 100%. It seems EVERY atuhenticator has mistakes. Un or intentionally. I think it is TOO EASY for forum members to throw thier opinion hat in the ring and say STAY AWAY just because of a previous error by an authenticator. However, there are also some authenticators (not mentioning names) that have no business authenticating a piece of toilet paper. Unless you peeled it off the players back there is NO 100% authenticity...probably the closest would be a photo match. I think the possibilities of it being real are probably 95%...however that means there is a 5% chance its a fake. I wouldn't soley base it as a fake because Gray Flaneel has issues. No one can tell me everything they have authenticated is 100% fake. That's my opinion.