PDA

View Full Version : Torretta Miami Hurricanes jersey

gingi79
08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I hate to admit this hack was a hero of mine once upon a time but the National Champion Miami Hurricanes are dear to my heart. He won the Heisman and a bunch of other Awards and I have been llok for this shirt for 16 years.

I want opinions, facts, innuendo, etc. Is this really the jersey i have been waiting for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gino-Torretta-Miami-Hurricanes-Game-Worn-Sugar-Jersey_W0QQitemZ300334966396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ed5be67c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

jobathenut
08-02-2009, 02:57 AM
I don't have a thought on the jersey,and don't mean to go off topic.But as a true cane fan,i have to take offense to you calling him a "hack".Yeah he didnt amount to much in the nfl.But as a cane,boy could he play.I still to this day love watching old games from my canes vhs libary.That team was great.Keep the cane love.:)
I hate to admit this hack was a hero of mine once upon a time but the National Champion Miami Hurricanes are dear to my heart. He won the Heisman and a bunch of other Awards and I have been llok for this shirt for 16 years.

I want opinions, facts, innuendo, etc. Is this really the jersey i have been waiting for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gino-Torretta-Miami-Hurricanes-Game-Worn-Sugar-Jersey_W0QQitemZ300334966396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ed5be67c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

UGA-1
08-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi,
Impossible to tell with the lack of pictures and info. You need to see pics of the front of the jersey? It should have Russell tagging. Plus any example of Sugar Bowl game usage would be nice. The photo does look like a style match. Also to note.. players in bowl games have more than one jersey prepared in case of severe damage or if they just want a dry jersey at halftime. Most of the jerseys sold as Bowl game used are indeed season used, but might not have actually been worn during the bowl game. A lot of players keep the gamer and sometimes sell/give away the extras that were prepared for the game.
If the jersey is real, imo, it is a steal at the current price. National champion, Heisman, Bowl game jersey! Hope it works out.

mdube16
08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I was at that game. I can still see Lamar fumbling in my minds eye. DOH!

jobathenut
08-02-2009, 11:08 PM
What fumble? What game? I have no idea what you're referring to.I don't remember this game.The canes played in the 1993 sugar bowl?,really.It did'nt happen,it did'nt happen,it did'nt happen.That's what i keep telling myself.I have blocked this game from my minds eye and memorey.:)
I was at that game. I can still see Lamar fumbling in my minds eye. DOH!

jobathenut
08-02-2009, 11:12 PM
As far as showing game use.I don't see that being possible as it was played indoors.So i'm not sure what game use you look for in indoor jerseys,maybe like rips or something like that,i suppose.And just to be clear,they did'nt win the national championship this season.That was the season before.:)
Hi,
Impossible to tell with the lack of pictures and info. You need to see pics of the front of the jersey? It should have Russell tagging. Plus any example of Sugar Bowl game usage would be nice. The photo does look like a style match. Also to note.. players in bowl games have more than one jersey prepared in case of severe damage or if they just want a dry jersey at halftime. Most of the jerseys sold as Bowl game used are indeed season used, but might not have actually been worn during the bowl game. A lot of players keep the gamer and sometimes sell/give away the extras that were prepared for the game.
If the jersey is real, imo, it is a steal at the current price. National champion, Heisman, Bowl game jersey! Hope it works out.

UGA-1
08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I knew that the events did not occur in the same season. Torretta was one heck of a college QB. He has the hardware to prove it. If the jersey checks out, it would be a nice addition to any collection.

beavisrules
08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
let me preface this by saying I have no opinion on the Torretta jersey because I don't know anything specifically about Miami Hurricane jerseys

however, proceed with EXTREME caution with any supposedly game used college bowl game jersey. UGA noted that a lot of schools may have a back-up jersey ready for players. From my experience, that is true primarily for "name" players like a Torretta or other starters - if it is a common player jersey, or a back-up player, odds are only one exists. Also, my understanding is that players always get to keep their bowl jerseys at most schools - so very few legit bowl jerseys ever surface. Finally, ask yourself this - do you really think a lot of players sold their real college bowl game used jersey? Doubt it.

Of all the Notre Dame bowl game "game used" jerseys I've seen in the past 10 years, maybe 50% were legit. The others were not legit due to the following: wrong patch style or placement, number not on roster, wrong cut or size jersey for supposed player, or completely wrong style of jersey (home instead of away, wrong colors or patches, etc).

Bottom line with any college bowl game jersey - do a LOT of research, and realize how truly scarce a 1 of 1, or 1 of 2 if switched at halftime, bowl game jersey is.

sothras
08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Look about half way down this page.

http://www.heismanheros.com/game%20used%20items.htm

I also am a Miami Hurricanes collector and wanted this jersey, but very hard to say which is real and which is team issued.

Chris

mdube16
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
that site has some NICE stuff (if the items are good of course)

nickacs
08-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Look about half way down this page.

http://www.heismanheros.com/game%20used%20items.htm

I also am a Miami Hurricanes collector and wanted this jersey, but very hard to say which is real and which is team issued.

Chris

Nice find. Assuming the one on the website is a "real" jersey, then comparing the Ebay one to it, I see the middle part of the '3' sticks out farther on the Ebay one. Hmm...
Also could be optical illusion, but looks like the Ebay '1' and '3' numerals are taller/wider than the "real" one.

Dunno.. just my 2cents :)

UGA-1
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't assume the Heisman Heros Torretta jersey is the real deal just yet. I do know the Walker helmet on that page is a fake. I contacted them and sent solid picture proof that it was not real. I see it is still up for sale. They no longer answer my emails.

sothras
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
After looking at it, the E-bay jersey had what looks like the correct sleeves, from the pictures I have seen? I also the auction ended without a bidder.