PDA

View Full Version : National "Complain"

skyking26
08-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Not the first time I've had this complaint, and I know it won't be the last...

I'll use one seller of game used as an example. 2 guys, nobody prominent in the hobby, sitting at their table both consumed by their Blackberries texting... Neither looks up as I attempt to look at the batracks, which upon moving would knock things over - but you can only see 2/4 sides... Still, neither gives me the time of day. So, I ask and a stapled paperwork sheet is moved toward me that contains the inventory list in a fashion that conveys irritation as they are both texting...

Now, on the sheets there is what appears to be a late 60's Northrup that I'd love to see. At $950, at this point in time when our economy is the worst it has been in YEARS, I can think of better ways to spend that $950 - but I am a collector and it is what I do... However: "IF A SELLER CANNOT GET UP OFF HIS ASS TO ASSIST A CUSTOMER, NOR ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR PRESENCE, PLEASE DO NOT EXHIBIT AT THE NATIONAL. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, AND WE THE CUSTOMER WILL NOT WASTE YOURS BY INTERRUPTING YOU TEXTING, ETC."

This was not limited to this booth but at another game used jersey booth, with not a sole at it, a man and woman, I'll assume married or dating, etc, carried on nature's ritual of flirting, etc., and it took me about 5 minutes to ask 2 simple questions. Their conversation consisted of what they were going to do that evening...

It aways puzzles me why people think the buyer is going to come thru that door and beg for information, and throw fistfulls of hard earned $$ out there. Seller must earn it just like everybody else.

Keep in mind, in each aforementioned example above, I was the ONLY one at their booth at the time.

RK

metsbats
08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Robert,

This is one of the reasons I stopped going to shows. Some dealers think their stuff can sell themselves and treat folks who come to their tables like they are invisible. In todays market and economy you would think you will get more friendlier and attentive service at these shows. I notice you get this now in retail stores at least. Perhaps the recession hasn't hit the dealers as bad as we think.

athletics61
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Skyking,

I know how you feel. I have dealt with the same kinds of shenannigans when I went to card shows in years past. Common sense would dictate dealers and exhibitors showing great customer service are going to get great sales.

When these people are so busy with their cellphones texting, it would not be out of the question somebody lifts something off their table without paying for it. I bet that will make them think a little more.

Don

skyking26
08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Very similar to unanswered emails. Guys selling who don't answer an email up to 4-7 days really piss me off...

jobathenut
08-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Or even worse,A person who says they are interested in your item.And then drags thier feet in buying it.;)
Very similar to unanswered emails. Guys selling who don't answer an email up to 4-7 days really piss me off...

markize
08-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Bob,

I'm with you 100% here. I had a seller contact me about an item, and I told him I was interested. A week later I emailed him about the puctures, and got no response. A week later I emailed him again, with no response (bad pattern of business). After that, I said to hell with it! No way I'm going to chase a seller around to make him money.

Mark

skyking26
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Or even worse,A person who says they are interested in your item.And then drags thier feet in buying it.;)
Hey Joba,

If you were referring to yourself and the Dunn hat; don't feel that way man. Send me what ya got as a down and I'll hold it for ya. I know what you are doing (trying to justify a purchase by selling other things). Does not always work. If you want it, just do it (like the Nike commercials). I'm here for ya, email me...

Bob

jobathenut
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, i was talking about myself.And the fact that you have to put up with me.I read so many post's of people trying to be funny and thought i would try it.:)
Hey Joba,

If you were referring to yourself and the Dunn hat; don't feel that way man. Send me what ya got as a down and I'll hold it for ya. I know what you are doing (trying to justify a purchase by selling other things). Does not always work. If you want it, just do it (like the Nike commercials). I'm here for ya, email me...

Bob

karamaxjoe
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
While reading Bill Simmons column on the National, I thought about this thread when Bill went off on a rant about a dealer. The link below tells the story and I suggest reading his entire column.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/gallery/17