PDA

View Full Version : Overview of "The National" and Game Used Universe

Moustache Gang
07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Team,

This was my 7th National and I believe 3rd in Cleveland and I can safely say it had the least amount of game used material. Some may disagree, but of the seven that I attended this had very few dealers with game used material.

Grey Flannel was there and they were displaying their upcoming basketball auction. Nice pieces, but not as nice as some of the earlier NBA auctions they have had in the past. The two young gentlemen working the booth were extremely pleasant and very informative. They did point out that HOFer Joe Morgan has consigned some pieces with them and they were on display. The also had a few other pieces of non-basketball material as well.

B+E Collectibles had about 25 jerseys from all sports and I thought their prices were a bit high. Staff was very friendly and informative as well.

Victor and Kieta were there from AMI and as I stated in another post they did not have many items out. They had a great location that was just off to the left as you walked in to the Center. I did notice that the jerseys they had were from previous AMI auctions. Hornung, Fosse, Catfish and others all recently were sold by them, but were out for sale? The Catfish was auctioned off for just over $10K about a year ago and now Victor is asking $25K which is way overpriced. Not much action at the AMI table when I was there on Thursday. I remember the last National in Cleveland"Sweet" Lou Lampson was camping out at their booth, but he was no where to be seen this year. Victor and Keita were very gracious and customer friendly.

Hartel Sports was there with the usual assortment of game used jerseys. They always have one or two items there for just about anybody. They have a ton of game used A's flannels, but most had some type of restoration.

Also www.gameusedjerseys.com (http://www.gameusedjerseys.com) was there. They had a ton of basketball and baseball, but very little from the 70's and not much from the 60's.

I then stopped by the GUU booth at 1440 and was I impressed!!! Without a doubt the best game used booth at the National. All their jerseys were high quality and many showed a ton of game use. I met other GUF members and starting talking with SkyKing, Athletics 61 and other friendly members. Chris came up and introduced himself and even engaged in conversation with my two sons. Chris is a first-class individual and you can see how he and his team are taking a very professional approach to delivering quailty auctions and services. Bar none, the best booth at the National in terms of looks, professionalism, communication, interaction and customer service.

Hunt Auctions was there and had some pieces on display for their next auction. As always their staff was very friendly attentive.

Legendary Auctions was there displaying their 50 or so high end pieces for their next auction.

Finally, Lelands was there and their booth was very active. I am always impressed with their professionalism as well. I met up with Heff and Keith who were looking at a large grouping of A's jerseys at the Hartel booth. Heff and Keith both asked me for my advice on many of the A's flannels. They both treated my like I was their brother or long-time friend and that goes a long way with me.

Of note, I did not see a MEARS booth at the National. Troy and team may be tied up getting their new facility up and running.

I also talked to one large auction house and asked them when there next auction will be. They stated their next auction is scheduled for the holiday season, but may not have one due to the lack of quality game used material. That was the reoccuring theme I heard numerous times, that many were holding onto their collections or pieces of their collections due to a poor economy and not wanting to take pennies on the dollar for their prized possessions.

I do not know if I will attend next year in Baltimore. If I am over that way on vacation or business I will, but if I will not schedule a trip for the sole purpose of attending.

Also Lampson was not in the house!!!

Mark

skyking26
08-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed meeting you/Jon and Don (and your kids) at the show. Wished you could have hung out longer...

I agree, outside of Cleveland and Chicago - I would not make an effort to attend this show. It's a day for me to get away from everybody pretty much. Not even any jersey case guys there. If you are a card set guy, a psa guy...then this is your heaven. All there is. Oddball and tickets too. Just short on GU.

I do enjoy seeing Zane and J. Taube. I had a few inquire if I had seen the '71 Gaylord/Kingman rookie Giants jersey home. Yep, saw it a year ago and it hasn't changed at all.

Peace - RK

athletics61
08-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This was my fifth National, and I am in complete agreement that the amount of game used for sale has dropped more and more. If your interest is primarily cards, then this event is where a collector must go to.

It was great stopping by the GUF booth and meeting fellow members Moustache, Skyking, Jonincleve, Chris, and other members. It is awesome to share things about this hobby to others in person.

Let us hope the trend starts heading the other way for future Nationals. But I won't hold my breath.

Don

dthedos@columbus.rr.com

anatfan09
08-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Does this years National at least have any decent Browns/Indians items? Any old programs, Sports Illustrateds, pennants, posters etc etc? From the forum post it sounds like making a trip from Columbus wouldn't even be worth it?

skyking26
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Team,

This was my 7th National and I believe 3rd in Cleveland and I can safely say it had the least amount of game used material. Some may disagree, but of the seven that I attended this had very few dealers with game used material.

Grey Flannel was there and they were displaying their upcoming basketball auction. Nice pieces, but not as nice as some of the earlier NBA auctions they have had in the past. The two young gentlemen working the booth were extremely pleasant and very informative. They did point out that HOFer Joe Morgan has consigned some pieces with them and they were on display. The also had a few other pieces of non-basketball material as well.

B+E Collectibles had about 25 jerseys from all sports and I thought their prices were a bit high. Staff was very friendly and informative as well.

Victor and Kieta were there from AMI and as I stated in another post they did not have many items out. They had a great location that was just off to the left as you walked in to the Center. I did notice that the jerseys they had were from previous AMI auctions. Hornung, Fosse, Catfish and others all recently were sold by them, but were out for sale? The Catfish was auctioned off for just over $10K about a year ago and now Victor is asking $25K which is way overpriced. Not much action at the AMI table when I was there on Thursday. I remember the last National in Cleveland"Sweet" Lou Lampson was camping out at their booth, but he was no where to be seen this year. Victor and Keita were very gracious and customer friendly.

Hartel Sports was there with the usual assortment of game used jerseys. They always have one or two items there for just about anybody. They have a ton of game used A's flannels, but most had some type of restoration.

Also www.gameusedjerseys.com (http://www.gameusedjerseys.com) was there. They had a ton of basketball and baseball, but very little from the 70's and not much from the 60's.

I then stopped by the GUU booth at 1440 and was I impressed!!! Without a doubt the best game used booth at the National. All their jerseys were high quality and many showed a ton of game use. I met other GUF members and starting talking with SkyKing, Athletics 61 and other friendly members. Chris came up and introduced himself and even engaged in conversation with my two sons. Chris is a first-class individual and you can see how he and his team are taking a very professional approach to delivering quailty auctions and services. Bar none, the best booth at the National in terms of looks, professionalism, communication, interaction and customer service.

Hunt Auctions was there and had some pieces on display for their next auction. As always their staff was very friendly attentive.

Legendary Auctions was there displaying their 50 or so high end pieces for their next auction.

Finally, Lelands was there and their booth was very active. I am always impressed with their professionalism as well. I met up with Heff and Keith who were looking at a large grouping of A's jerseys at the Hartel booth. Heff and Keith both asked me for my advice on many of the A's flannels. They both treated my like I was their brother or long-time friend and that goes a long way with me.

Of note, I did not see a MEARS booth at the National. Troy and team may be tied up getting their new facility up and running.

I also talked to one large auction house and asked them when there next auction will be. They stated their next auction is scheduled for the holiday season, but may not have one due to the lack of quality game used material. That was the reoccuring theme I heard numerous times, that many were holding onto their collections or pieces of their collections due to a poor economy and not wanting to take pennies on the dollar for their prized possessions.

I do not know if I will attend next year in Baltimore. If I am over that way on vacation or business I will, but if I will not schedule a trip for the sole purpose of attending.

Also Lampson was not in the house!!!

Mark
Mark - send me an email with your personal email, address and phone so I can add it all to my contacts if you would... Bob
skyking442@hotmail.com

mattmueller
08-01-2009, 01:50 PM
anatfan: There were a decent amount of pennants, magazines, programs, etc. I would think a Cleveland (Indians, Browns) or OSU fan would be pretty pleased with at trip up from Columbus.

Bob: I know I owe you a hot dog for bidding up the McGwire jersey on you. Sorry I didn't make it over on Thursday, but I left the hot dog at will call for you.

Matt

skyking26
08-01-2009, 02:04 PM
anatfan: There were a decent amount of pennants, magazines, programs, etc. I would think a Cleveland (Indians, Browns) or OSU fan would be pretty pleased with at trip up from Columbus.

Bob: I know I owe you a hot dog for bidding up the McGwire jersey on you. Sorry I didn't make it over on Thursday, but I left the hot dog at will call for you.

Matt
By the time I make it back to Cleveland the hotdog will likely not be any good.

Just lmk what you are bidding on in future so I can bid it up too. Then we'll be even. I understand you were interested in it as well and that is the nature of auctions, but to keep bringing up the fact is a little dirty I believe. I'm taking some offense to it. You've brought it up publicly several times now... JMO. RK

dcrules01
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Any Mets gamers at the show??

dcgreg25
08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Pretty spot-on summary of the show. I just wanted to add that I was able to stop by the GUU booth and meet Chris in person. One of the nicest booths at the show and Chris is truly a great guy. We talked for a good half hour and he offered some great insights into the industry, etc. Regardless of any issues people may have with the board and/or GUU, I believe that GUU and Chris are truly an asset to the hobby. Thanks for the time and keep up the good work!!

Basketball-collector
08-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I absolutely love every National, particularly the social aspects of it. I met a few of the forum members briefly at the Game Used Universe booth on Thursday, but really enjoyed meeting & talking to Chris at great length.

FastLane80
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
How was the crowd? Was there more or less than in previous years? Sounds like a good time...too bad it's hard for me to travel.

skyking26
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
How was the crowd? Was there more or less than in previous years? Sounds like a good time...too bad it's hard for me to travel.
Crowd was very lite/small on Thursday. I was there when the show opened at 10 and left seeing everything I needed to see at 3...

pietraynor
08-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I was there all day Friday, would agree much smaller crowds than past Nationals at Cleveland..didn't have to wait in line for a ticket to get in, didn't have to nudge your way to the tables as in the past..that was nice, you could walk thru the aisles w/o elbowing anyone..I actually thought the dealers were going out of their way say "Hi"..while I didn't spend a lot of money (was looking for very specific items--B. Herman Wheaties to finish a set, couple of single RC Cola Cans to finish sets, oddball Pie Traynor/Eddie Murray items) I had a good time catching up w/ dealer friends & seeing all the great items. I didn't see a lot of people carrying around handfuls of items, but I did see an unusual amount of people sitting at tables trying to complete older card sets..that brought back a lot of memories & I wonder if more collectors are going back to that..Jay

ChrisCavalier
08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
First of all, I'd like to say that it was a pleasure meeting the GUU forum members that attended the show. It is always great to share information, experiences, etc in the hopes of making the hobby more enjoyable for everyone. Please always feel free to let us know if we can help you directly in any way.

In addition, regarding the comments about the booth, I wanted to mention that we shared with the booth with JO Sports and many of the jerseys found there came from their direct relationship with the teams. GUU has been involved with a few of these deals as we really like the fact that these items are beyond question in terms of use, provenance, etc.

Also, along with Jarrod, I think Brian from JO Sports deserves a lot of credit for the booth's appearance. Among other things, Brian put together a slideshow with photo and style matches for a number of jerseys in the booth which he projected on to a flat screen TV. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew who deserves a lot of the credit for the booth's appearance.

Thanks again to everyone for stopping by. I actually planned to go to lunch with you guys but caught up at the booth meeting with a number of customers during the time you went over to the food pavilion. I'm hoping next year I will be able to quarantine the time and get to spend more time with some of you who attend in person.