PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz says union told him of 2003 positive test

3arod13
07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
I’ve just been told that the report is true,” Ortiz said in a statement after contacting the union. “Based on the way I lived my life I’m surprised to learn I tested positive.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Avjd7dLPRo3qhhLlsMMKSbsRvLYF?slug=ap-ortiz-ramirez-druglist&prov=ap&type=lgns

yanks12025
07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
He's going to be one of those players that decline it and say they didn't know what it was. At least A-rod said he did unlike alot of these cheaters.

Jags Fan Dan
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
He's going to be one of those players that decline it and say they didn't know what it was. At least A-rod said he did unlike alot of these cheaters.
They are all cheaters. I do give A-Rod some credit for owning up to his actions, but he's still a cheater, just as much as the other guys.

yanks12025
07-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Jags,
Thats what i was trying to say but worded it different.

Bondsgloves
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM

I don't believe ARod was completely honest. He will look like a biiger fool down the road when it turns out he used them longer than he said.

3arod13
They are all cheaters. I do give A-Rod some credit for owning up to his actions, but he's still a cheater, just as much as the other guys.

Don't think he was defending Arod. Just making a point that Arod could have denied it also, but didn't. Where I give Arod any credit is, he could have admitted only to 2003. Yes, he admits to 2001-2003.

Jags Fan Dan
Jags,
Thats what i was trying to say but worded it different.
Gotcha. My mistake if I took it wrong.

3arod13
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't believe ARod was completely honest. He will look like a biiger fool down the road when it turns out he used them longer than he said.

What report do you have that proves that?

3arod13
07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't think he was defending Arod. Just making a point that Arod could have denied it also, but didn't. Where I give Arod any credit is, he could have admitted only to 2003. Yes, he admits to 2001-2003.

Yet vice yes

spartakid
07-30-2009, 06:53 PM

What do you mean by "decline it" because Big Papi has been on a consistent decline for a while now. I couldn't help but see your username after I read your defending of A-rod. ;) I do agree however, that these players at least need to have some class and own up to what they did, I mean come on, they're caught. It's like those geniuses on Cops that tell the officer, after he finds drugs in their pocket, "these aren't my pants, I found them in the alley behind the bar." Yea, it's pretty much as believable as that Big Papi

spartakid
07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
wow, you guys did some serious typing as I was typing my long winded response, I missed a lot...:D

Bondsgloves
07-30-2009, 06:58 PM

I have no proof. But when the woman who uncovered that Arod first took steroids, reported accusations that had taken them since high school. Also with the Yankees Arod was hanging out with a known streoid dealer and trainer Angel Presinal (who also has been affiliated with training Ortiz).

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Alex-Rodriguez-Connected-to-Steroid-Trainer-Banned-From-MLB-Stadiums-Blog-19587

3arod13
07-30-2009, 06:59 PM
What do you mean by "decline it" because Big Papi has been on a consistent decline for a while now. I couldn't help but see your username after I read your defending of A-rod. ;) I do agree however, that these players at least need to have some class and own up to what they did, I mean come on, they're caught. It's like those geniuses on Cops that tell the officer, after he finds drugs in their pocket, "these aren't my pants, I found them in the alley behind the bar." Yea, it's pretty much as believable as that Big Papi

I don't think it's defending Arod. Just making a point that Arod had options like many of the others, after being caught. He then admitted it. Does he deserve a prize or trophy for doing so? Of course not.

I don't know anyone in their right mind that if not caught, would admit it.

If you stole something at work, and the boss gathered everyone around and asked who did it. Would you come forward? Of course not!

3arod13
07-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I have no proof. But when the woman who uncovered that Arod first took steroids, reported accusations that had taken them since high school. Also with the Yankees Arod was hanging out with a known streoid dealer and trainer Angel Presinal (who also has been affiliated with training Ortiz).

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Alex-Rodriguez-Connected-to-Steroid-Trainer-Banned-From-MLB-Stadiums-Blog-19587

There were also players who played with him back then that said he didn't. Hearsay...hearsay! Proof is in the pudding!

spartakid
07-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't think it's defending Arod. Just making a point that Arod had options like many of the others, after being caught. He then admitted it. Does he deserve a prize or trophy for doing so? Of course not.

I don't know anyone in their right mind that if not caught, would admit it.

If you stole something at work, and the boss gathered everyone around and asked who did it. Would you come forward? Of course not!

No reference to my Cops allusion?:D What you proposed is a different situation than Big Papi's in. There is a chance that the "thief" could get away with taking something in an office full of people. THe drug test is different because I believe that multiple tests are run with the sample urine to prevent error. Not saying that error is impossible, but I would assume VERY unlikely (I have no proof to substantiate this, but I believe most would agree that this is almost certainly not an error).

frikativ54
07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I’ve just been told that the report is true,” Ortiz said in a statement after contacting the union. “Based on the way I lived my life I’m surprised to learn I tested positive.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Avjd7dLPRo3qhhLlsMMKSbsRvLYF?slug=ap-ortiz-ramirez-druglist&prov=ap&type=lgns

I love it! :p Ortiz just learned that he tested positive! He knew 6 years ago; the guy must have selective amnesia or something. They all do, when the conversation turns to steroids.

3arod13
07-30-2009, 07:17 PM
I thinks it's now to the point where so many have been identified, just admit it when caught. Stop playing stupid! Stop thinking we're stupid! Why play around with it? Just admit it and move on!

Dewey2007
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I thinks it's now to the point where so many have been identified, just admit it when caught. Stop playing stupid! Stop thinking we're stupid! Why play around with it? Just admit it and move on!

I agree. Even a half-ass I did it but I'm not going to say the word steroids apology like the one Giambi gave a couple years ago is better then saying nothing and denying it.

emann
07-30-2009, 08:21 PM

Personally, I look forward to Ortiz suddenly forgetting how to speak english when he get questioned further about it... If only McGwire, Clemens or A-Rod could have pulled that off... ;)

suicide_squeeze
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsgloves http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=154554#post154554)

The common sense report.

Arod just happened to cop to the fact that he only used for that 3-year period.....because of the "pressure" to perform under that big contract??

And then signing a bigger one with the NEW YORK YANKEES wasn't more pressure??

You are kidding, right Tony?

The dude used in Seattle most likely....

.........definately in Texas the whole time.....

...................and probably up to yesterday in New York.

It's pathetic already. I say up the ante. Anyone caught from this point on should be done for the entire season.....2nd time banned from the sport for life.

Bondsgloves
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
There were also players who played with him back then that said he didn't. Hearsay...hearsay! Proof is in the pudding!

Tony this isn't personal with you or Arod.. I just want to point out Arod didn't admit to anything he got caught. I clearly remenber he flat out lied to the public when Katie Couric called him out on national TV, he said he had never been overmatched on the baseball field and had never taken steroids. Come to find out later he tested positive, he had no choice but to admit it at that point. What he told Peter Gammons was carefully scripted, the questions and answers were calculated. He couldn't deny, he couldn't say he did once, so he narrowed it to a 3 year period. I persoanlly think he has used them before and after that time frame. His numbers were unbelievable before and after the Rangers. Why would he take them for 3 years if they didn't help I think he's full of it. That just me.

I honestly don't think a player should admit to it because it tarnishes their legacy. I don't think admitting it does them any good. Take it to theier grave. I don't believe that any player not on the 104 list, will come out and admit it. They will just feel like they dodged a bullet.

Pete Rose denied for years he bet on baseball. Loyal fans believed him and supported him. I believe he felt that he would make the HOF if he just claim clean. Now not only is he not in the Hall, now even his loyal fans who didn't want to believe it, have to believe it.

3arod13
07-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Tony this isn't personal with you or Arod.. I just want to point out Arod didn't admit to anything he got caught. I clearly remenber he flat out lied to the public when Katie Couric called him out on national TV, he said he had never been overmatched on the baseball field and had never taken steroids. Come to find out later he tested positive, he had no choice but to admit it at that point. What he told Peter Gammons was carefully scripted, the questions and answers were calculated. He couldn't deny, he couldn't say he did once, so he narrowed it to a 3 year period. I persoanlly think he has used them before and after that time frame. His numbers were unbelievable before and after the Rangers. Why would he take them for 3 years if they didn't help I think he's full of it. That just me.

I honestly don't think a player should admit to it because it tarnishes their legacy. I don't think admitting it does them any good. Take it to theier grave. I don't believe that any player not on the 104 list, will come out and admit it. They will just feel like they dodged a bullet.

Pete Rose denied for years he bet on baseball. Loyal fans believed him and supported him. I believe he felt that he would make the HOF if he just claim clean. Now not only is he not in the Hall, now even his loyal fans who didn't want to believe it, have to believe it.

Understand. Who would admit to doing wrong, unless they got caught? Only negative could come out of it.

3arod13
07-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Pals David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez are at a loss for words about why they tested positive for PEDs in '03: Hopefully they'll find the words...I did it!

“I’m honestly going to tell you guys what’s up,” Ortiz told the media cluster around him. “Right now, I have no answers. I’ve got no information.” I laughed at this. Have no answers? How about you did it! Or maybe someone put something in your coffee.

As a prior Legal Officer, I can tell you that as many Sailors I processed for testing positive on a urinalysis test, not one admitted doing it. Not one!

cjclong
07-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Rose only admitted betting because it was going to be proved at the hearing. They even had his fingerprints on the betting slips. He was nailed. We can make a moral argument the players ought to admit it. But for their own sakes they ought to tell the truth when they are caught. A guy looks much worse if he also appears to be a liar. Wonder what the response would be if a player said sure I used, baseball hadn't banned it at the time and a substantial number of players I was going against were using. Which is the truth.

JETEFAN
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Big Papi + Manny + juice = Red Sox 2004, 2007 Champs....

Now i get it ;)

frikativ54
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Big Papi + Manny + juice = Red Sox 2004, 2007 Champs....

Now i get it ;)

I think we should be loath to impute all the blame to the Red Sox, and thus discredit their entire World Series victories. Many other players on many other teams, including the Yankees, were hardly clean. Don't let your hatred of Boston cloud a fair appraisal of the steroids debacle.

suicide_squeeze
07-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Do you guys think it will be the Union, too, that tells Pooh-Pee that his career has just essentially ended in utter disgrace?

I wonder if he'll ask his English-literate friend Manny to list his Ferrari on ebay for him next year, like Manny did with his own barbeque?

Jags Fan Dan
08-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Understand. Who would admit to doing wrong, unless they got caught? Only negative could come out of it.
Don't tell Bronson Arroyo that!! He admits to doing amphetamines with no known positive test.

3arod13
08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Don't tell Bronson Arroyo that!! He admits to doing amphetamines with no known positive test.

Read that this morning. Maybe he believes if he admits it now, before his name comes up, it will ease the negativity. It's taking a big chance, but I have to agree with him doing that.

3arod13
08-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Arroyo, who played for the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/;_ylt=AvjtK8xzHoeSUGy67xaoppupu7YF) from 2003-05, was quoted in Friday’s Boston Herald as saying he took androstenedione and amphetamines, which could have produced positive tests.

“Before (2004), none of us paid attention to what we took,” said Arroyo, who said he started to take androstenedione in 1998, when he was in Pittsburgh’s farm system. “That’s why I said anybody could be on the list. Back then, nobody knew what was in the stuff, because the (Federal Drug Administration) wasn’t regulating all of it.”

“I’d take anything I can get from (a nutrition store) if you tell me it would make me better on the field,” said Arroyo, acquired by the Reds in spring training of 2006. “Of course I took an (amphetamine) on a day game—a 12:35 game pitching against Johan Santana (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6441/;_ylt=Am0OB9GTgTcV0lgr9CVXdZypu7YF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6441/news;_ylt=AhIy6mceKg82NzObO5LeaZupu7YF).”

There’s plenty of things that guys would like to take that we’re not allowed to any more,” he said. “Honestly, I would love to not take any of the supplements I take. I’d love to wake up in the morning and have some fruit and a bowl of cereal and have a good lunch, and maybe take a multivitamin for the day, but the reality is, I’m probably not going to be as good a major league pitcher if I do.”