PDA

View Full Version : In Cleveland for the National? Local ideas on what to do...

mattmueller
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
A few people have pinged me they are in town for the National, and asked about where to go etc. So here is the opinion of a married guy, in his mid 30s who doesn’t go out that much, but works downtown.

Downtown:
Downtown is split between the E. 4th area by the stadiums and the warehouse district (W. 6th and W. 9th Street).

Go to the warehouse district if you want to: Eat good steak / fish (Chophouse, Johnny’s), eat a lot of meat Brazilian steakhouse style (Brasa Grill), eat Sushi (Sushi Rock), enjoy a glass of wine (D’Vine Wine Bar), drink a lot (various), dance to really loud music with a glow stick (various). If you do any of the latter, best drunk food is Panini’s (open late, offer pizza and Primanti Brothers-style loaded sandwiches. Be sure to get a fried egg on the sandwich). For those with long memories, there is not much left of the Flats area (down the hill from W. 9th and across the river). Across the river is a piano bar and Rock Bottom Brewery, but it is not worth the effort trying to get over there. There is, however, a gentlemen’s club across the river (never been, so no reviews available).

Go to the E. 4th Street area if you want to: Go to the Legends auction (House of Blues), go bowling (Lucky Strike-style bowling alley / bar and restaurant), go to one of the best / largest comedy clubs in the nation (Hilarities at Pickwick & Frolic – I think I saw Lewis Black of the Daily Show fame is there this weekend), fine cuisine (Lola’s chef is Iron Chef Michael Symon, LaStrada is also pretty good), sample one of a hundred available beers (Winking Lizard, on Prospect just east of E. 4th). To me, best bar food and best place to go before/after Indians games is Harry Buffalo, on E. 4th just north of the Q. Try the Bison burger, its tasty and healthy.

Other of the more “trendy” areas just west and south of downtown are the West 25th street area and Tremont neighborhood. My opinion, it’s probably not worth the hassle to get to any of these places.

Airport:
If you are out by the airport, a couple of names for places to eat (slanted towards Rocky River area, that is where I live).

100th Bomb Squadron: Right by the airport. Outdoor eating/drinking available, located right at the end of the runway for the airport so it also offers interesting views.

Stino da Napoli: the best authentic Italian in the area. Located in Rocky River. Warnings, chef is a Italian native an takes a two week vacation each summer to go back to Italy, so phone first. Also, they do not take credit cards.

Salmon Dave’s : Good seafood, also in Rocky River.

Stonehouse Grill: On Center Ridge Road in Westlake. I live just down the street, good bar food in a relaxed environment.

Great Northern Mall (Take Brook Park Road about 3 miles west of the airport): All the typical things you would find around a mall.

Best place to pick up food, but too small to dine in: Danny Boy’s Pizza in Rocky River. Warning, portions are HUGE.

Best place for bar food if you have a car and a GPS: Moosehead Saloon in 7989 Columbia Road in Olmsted Falls. Probably a 15 minute drive, but set in an old firehouse, great food.

And in case you haven't seen them, two Cleveland Tourism videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Others, please feel free to add local knowledge.

Enjoy,
Matt

DrJ
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, when I was there for a business trip many years ago first thing I did is point the rent-a-car towards Canton and go to the Pro Football HOF. You can go to the Rock-n-Roll HOF too, though I didn't make that one.

otismalibu
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM

earlywynnfan
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm local, too, and I have to second Matt about Pickwick; you will NOT be disappointed there, from the food to the Martini bar to the comedy club to the cheezy Vegas lounge act. It's also a great street to roam, E. 4th.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

otismalibu
07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Duh, I'm such a numpty. Completely missed Matt's YT links. :o

jobathenut
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
In 2006 me and my brother made a road trip to see our yankees play in cleveland.And on sightseeing day we took in the rock and roll hall of fame.W e didnt take the tour,as we thought you could just walk around by yourself.Which we found out you can't.You have to take a guided tour.But i was still great to walk around the lobby of it and see the giant guitars and get our pictures taken by them.And of course the great store.If you're into rock and roll items they have a showcase of different memoribilia,and you could buy items like a old lunchbox of the monkies.Some of the items were spendy.I was looking at a old book from the kiss auction but they wanted $150 for it.Anyways,we also just walked the peer thats around there over looking the lake.And we also took in (for the true rocker)alice coopers bar.We didnt eat or anything,just went in and looked around and bought some items.Theres also a hard rock but we didnt make it there.:)

bigtruck260
07-30-2009, 12:23 AM
I am a Cleveland boy at heart - and most of my relatives are still there - albeit in various cemeteries. I'm 34 - so if you are in that demographic, here are some of my opinions...

1. Cedar Point is 45 minutes away and worth the trip if you are a roller coaster/thrill ride junkie like myself. Look it up online - I used to spend every summer there as a kid, and every summer they built the highest and fastest rides on the planet.

2. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - You will either love it or hate it. Check with the museum to see what is featured...I am a big fan of 70's music and there is enough of it there to keep you busy and entertained. The price is a little steep - but still very cool if you like music.

That's about it. Just make sure your wallet is in reach and you have some change/singles if you are a giver. Downtown Cleveland was once a nice place to go shopping, etc. but in and around Terminal City it seems the homeless congregate en masse.

There used to be a place called the Flats - kind of like the Landing in St. Louis...but the last time I was there, it didn't seem all that happening.

The food is great if you know the right places...maybe one of the Cleveland guys can help me here...There is a bar about 5 blocks from the stadium that serves sandwiches on thickly sliced soft Italian Bread - your choice of meat, French fries and coleslaw piled on top. Delicious....

Anyway...have fun!

earlywynnfan
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Uh, Alice Cooper's restaurant has closed, and the entire Flats has been demolished.

Way to go Cleveland!!

Ken

jobathenut
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
You got to be kidding me.Alice cooper's closed.Well like i said in my post.Me and my brother were there in 2006.So i was just going by what was there when we were.Wow:eek:
Uh, Alice Cooper's restaurant has closed, and the entire Flats has been demolished.

Way to go Cleveland!!

Ken

mattmueller
07-30-2009, 09:30 PM
They switched the name of Cooper'stown to Local Heroes (or something similar). Its still there and open, just a different name. Nothing really changed, except they took out all the photos of Alice.

jobathenut
07-31-2009, 03:23 AM
That's a darn shame that alice's place closed.And i would say without the alice cooper's photos and items,well then it did change.It's just a bar now.:rolleyes:
They switched the name of Cooper'stown to Local Heroes (or something similar). Its still there and open, just a different name. Nothing really changed, except they took out all the photos of Alice.

Basketball-collector
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I can tell you that I treat the trip to the Cleveland National as a mini-vacation. I'm not the type of guy that just has dinner at a Dennys & goes back to the hotel. Hell no - I do something substantial every single evening while I'm in Cleveland.

I usually go downtown most of the time. Since I'm a big music fan, I like to see some live music. For example, in 2007 I saw the band "Erasure" at the House of Blues and this past Wednesday night, I saw "Sugar Ray" there. I wish I was still in town to see "Ratt", who played there tonight. :(

suicide_squeeze
08-01-2009, 11:15 PM
A few people have pinged me they are in town for the National, and asked about where to go etc. So here is the opinion of a married guy, in his mid 30s who doesn’t go out that much, but works downtown.

Downtown:
Downtown is split between the E. 4th area by the stadiums and the warehouse district (W. 6th and W. 9th Street).

Go to the warehouse district if you want to: Eat good steak / fish (Chophouse, Johnny’s), eat a lot of meat Brazilian steakhouse style (Brasa Grill), eat Sushi (Sushi Rock), enjoy a glass of wine (D’Vine Wine Bar), drink a lot (various), dance to really loud music with a glow stick (various). If you do any of the latter, best drunk food is Panini’s (open late, offer pizza and Primanti Brothers-style loaded sandwiches. Be sure to get a fried egg on the sandwich). For those with long memories, there is not much left of the Flats area (down the hill from W. 9th and across the river). Across the river is a piano bar and Rock Bottom Brewery, but it is not worth the effort trying to get over there. There is, however, a gentlemen’s club across the river (never been, so no reviews available).

Go to the E. 4th Street area if you want to: Go to the Legends auction (House of Blues), go bowling (Lucky Strike-style bowling alley / bar and restaurant), go to one of the best / largest comedy clubs in the nation (Hilarities at Pickwick & Frolic – I think I saw Lewis Black of the Daily Show fame is there this weekend), fine cuisine (Lola’s chef is Iron Chef Michael Symon, LaStrada is also pretty good), sample one of a hundred available beers (Winking Lizard, on Prospect just east of E. 4th). To me, best bar food and best place to go before/after Indians games is Harry Buffalo, on E. 4th just north of the Q. Try the Bison burger, its tasty and healthy.

Other of the more “trendy” areas just west and south of downtown are the West 25th street area and Tremont neighborhood. My opinion, it’s probably not worth the hassle to get to any of these places.

Airport:
If you are out by the airport, a couple of names for places to eat (slanted towards Rocky River area, that is where I live).

100th Bomb Squadron: Right by the airport. Outdoor eating/drinking available, located right at the end of the runway for the airport so it also offers interesting views.

Stino da Napoli: the best authentic Italian in the area. Located in Rocky River. Warnings, chef is a Italian native an takes a two week vacation each summer to go back to Italy, so phone first. Also, they do not take credit cards.

Salmon Dave’s : Good seafood, also in Rocky River.

Stonehouse Grill: On Center Ridge Road in Westlake. I live just down the street, good bar food in a relaxed environment.

Great Northern Mall (Take Brook Park Road about 3 miles west of the airport): All the typical things you would find around a mall.

Best place to pick up food, but too small to dine in: Danny Boy’s Pizza in Rocky River. Warning, portions are HUGE.

Best place for bar food if you have a car and a GPS: Moosehead Saloon in 7989 Columbia Road in Olmsted Falls. Probably a 15 minute drive, but set in an old firehouse, great food.

And in case you haven't seen them, two Cleveland Tourism videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Others, please feel free to add local knowledge.

Enjoy,
Matt

Matt,

Oh my God, my sides are aching!!

My wife and I just had a seriously great laugh over the two "Cleveland tourism clips" that you posted!

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Steve