PDA

View Full Version : Listen up, Bob and friends...

sox83cubs84
07-28-2009, 09:45 PM
The Cubs game on WGN radio carried the news that, in the Milwaukee-Washington game currently playing in Miller Park, the Nats' Adam Dunn became the first player ever to hit a home run out of Miller Park in a regular season game. Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds both did it in the 2002 All-Star Game Home Run Derby (I think ballhawk.net got at least one of these), but for a game that counts, it's a first. The ball apparently cleared the bleachers in right center and left the park through an open area in the stadium exterior.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Can't wait to see that on the highlights...!!!

Dave, gonna be at the show on Thursday?

Bob

mattmueller
07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Huge, huge homerun. In the screen grab below, the arrow shows where the ball appeared to hit the structural steel that supports the retractable panels at the back of the stadium. It looked like the ball bounced back into the stadium, towards the Tundra section, so not sure that it technically left the building, but it would have if it didn't hit the cross beam.

skyking26
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Very under-rated player. Batting .274 with 26 taters and a leader in RBI's on a crap team. Says alot.

Matt, come on to the National Thursday...

Bob

mattmueller
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I might be able to make it there for an hour or so tonight, but am doubting whether it is worth the $15 to be there for such a short period of time. No chance I get there during the day tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think my best bet is Saturday morning with the rest of the crowd.

skyking26
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I might be able to make it there for an hour or so tonight, but am doubting whether it is worth the $15 to be there for such a short period of time. No chance I get there during the day tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think my best bet is Saturday morning with the rest of the crowd.
I never go beyond Thursday because of the people.

Too bad we can't hook up.

Peace - RK

allstarsplus
07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
The HR was measured at a joke of a number like 442 feet I believe and the Nats announcer said with the roll on the ball it was like 1500 feet (LOL).

You could see the ball go out the opening in the outfield and bounce up in the air off of the concrete outside the stadium.

Any idea who got the ball?

sox83cubs84
07-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Can't wait to see that on the highlights...!!!

Dave, gonna be at the show on Thursday?

Bob

Sadly, no. I don't believe MEARS is setting up, and an e-mail to Dave Bushing asking about assisting at his booth in exchange for travel expenses went unanswered. Truthfully, other than meeting people I rarely see (such as yourself), I really don't care about the National. I can't speak for collectors, but I felt that, when I quit setting up at Nationals in 1993, they just weren't worth the work for the little profit I made, they definitely weren't worth the headaches (such as being asked an opinion on a jersey while I'm taking a whiz in the men's room), and I felt I had enough status in the hobby that I didn't need to be a National tableholder to feed my own ego...I think some (maybe many) dealers set up at the National not because they make a killing, or get astronomical deals buying from walk-ins, but because they're fearful that they'll be perceived as second-string or B-list dealers if they don't go through the same song and dance every year. It's more self-perception than fiscal reality. And, between MEARS, this forum, and eBay, I sure don't need to go there to buy. I'll miss seeing many people again or for the first time, but I need to save my shekels to cover medications, related bills, and other necessities...something I no longer consider the National to be.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sox83cubs84
07-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Back to the topic...someone inside the ballpark likely at least attempted to run out and retrieve it. That's what happened in the early 1990s, when a local ballhawk named Dave (not me or Davison), dubbed "Limpy" by the Chicago shaggers, ran into the parking lot and chased down the ball Detroit's Cecil Fielder hit over the LF bleachers and into the parking lot.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Sadly, no. I don't believe MEARS is setting up, and an e-mail to Dave Bushing asking about assisting at his booth in exchange for travel expenses went unanswered. Truthfully, other than meeting people I rarely see (such as yourself), I really don't care about the National. I can't speak for collectors, but I felt that, when I quit setting up at Nationals in 1993, they just weren't worth the work for the little profit I made, they definitely weren't worth the headaches (such as being asked an opinion on a jersey while I'm taking a whiz in the men's room), and I felt I had enough status in the hobby that I didn't need to be a National tableholder to feed my own ego...I think some (maybe many) dealers set up at the National not because they make a killing, or get astronomical deals buying from walk-ins, but because they're fearful that they'll be perceived as second-string or B-list dealers if they don't go through the same song and dance every year. It's more self-perception than fiscal reality. And, between MEARS, this forum, and eBay, I sure don't need to go there to buy. I'll miss seeing many people again or for the first time, but I need to save my shekels to cover medications, related bills, and other necessities...something I no longer consider the National to be.

Dave M.
Chicago area
I have to agree Dave. I already have a couple deals in the works when I get back courtesy of friendships. The National I attend only when in the midwest. I've been to so many over the years that I finally take it for what it is worth: a day away from work/family to absorb my hobby and say hello to so many that I speak with thru the year. Seldom is a great find made. Sadly, the bulk of dealers sell cards...not game used.

Today, interacting with people you meet via GUU/ebay/etc. is the best way to see out items. Shows are quickly becoming an expensive advertising concept for the seller and a thing of the past -

RK