PDA

View Full Version : Bonds' #714/715 HR Bat???

ghostkid
05-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Okay, I've read what seems like an endless supply of opinions about the value of homerun ball #714 and 715. What I haven't heard mentioned even one time is the value of the bat(s) used to hit those homeruns. Any opinions on the value of those chunks of wood?

Kevin

trsent
05-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Okay, I've read what seems like an endless supply of opinions about the value of homerun ball #714 and 715. What I haven't heard mentioned even one time is the value of the bat(s) used to hit those homeruns. Any opinions on the value of those chunks of wood?

Kevin

Kevin, if Barry will autograph them and place his personal hologram on them, I'll pay $35,000 each.

I figure if Chris Boyd won't sell his Roger Clemens Astros jersey for $35,000.00, then a game used record tying and breaking (most home runs by a lefty in MLB history) home run bat should be worth more than his Roger Clemens jersey.

Let me know if he is interested.

indyred
05-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Isn't Barry very protective of his game used stuff. I guess people figure he won't be hawking it right away, probally why it doesn't come up. On the outside the lines piece on espn, they showed him and he has boxes and boxes of his game used stuff. I bet someday there is some huge Barry Bonds auction where he sell quite a bit of his stuff. They said he has bats, jerseys, balls..ect...dating back to his college days..........

EurekaDave
05-22-2006, 11:09 AM
I love this discussion about Bonds stuff. It makes me value the "common" stuff I already have even more.

I'd give $2000 for a Bonds bat and I would have to sleep on it before I spent that. I'm growing weary of "pieces of dirt from the mound," "chunks of dug-out bench"...

I'm taking Barry's advice and turning my attention to Albert Pujols.

Eric
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey gang-

Small point for Bonds collectors...

Based on the Wall Street Journal article, if you don't buy something directly from Barry, do you run the risk of having the FBI show up at your door to confiscate the piece?

In the case of the Robert Edward Auction items, they even had Barry Bonds Authenticated stickers on the jersey, pants, hat and cleats and Bonds' people called the entire lot counterfeits.

This is certainly a new direction for the hobby.
Eric

skipcareyisfat
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Bonds can keep his stuff if he does indeed still have "all" of it. As was implied in the article, apparently whatever g/u items the general public owns is subject to Barry's whimpering allegations of theft and fraud.

-Jason

trsent
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey gang-

Small point for Bonds collectors...

Based on the Wall Street Journal article, if you don't buy something directly from Barry, do you run the risk of having the FBI show up at your door to confiscate the piece?

In the case of the Robert Edward Auction items, they even had Barry Bonds Authenticated stickers on the jersey, pants, hat and cleats and Bonds' people called the entire lot counterfeits.

This is certainly a new direction for the hobby.
Eric

Isn't it common for a player to call items fake once they stop talking to their cousin?

indyred
05-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Any links to that article....

stlbats
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Bonds can keep all his equipment, and personally I feel for anyone who has spent high $$$ on the pricks stuff. There is high risk that this stuff will drop dramatically in price.

Such as the article that talked about the guy spending $25,000 on a 2001 jersey and lately selling it for $4400.00. WOW

I understand that people should buy equipment with plans of keeping it and not for a chance at financial gain, but people at least hope their stuff will hold its value.

Jason

byergo
05-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Bonds can keep ALL of his game used as far as most collectors are concerned.

www.jerseydave.com
05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
This was on TV yesterday showing Barry in the clubhouse after hitting #714. He gave up his bat, cleats, jersey, batting gloves, hat, and helmet. He put the dat he did it 5/20/06 and #714 on each item..the funny thing was, he did not autograph any of them... not a single signature...

psmachetti
05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I read all this speculation about his bats. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these bats going to the Hall of Fame?
Paul

allstarsplus
05-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Bonds' Milestone Home Run Balls Losing Value
Scandal Causes Price of Memorabilia to Plummet
By JORDAN ROBERTSON
AP Sports
SAN FRANCISCO (May 20) -

It's a piece of baseball history that should have auctioneers and speculators salivating.

But after Barry Bonds matched Babe Ruth's home run mark Saturday, even the savviest collectors are shrugging at the value of the ball that will vault the San Francisco slugger into second place behind Hank Aaron with No. 715.

Mixed feelings about Bonds, the subject of steroids speculation for years and now the target of a federal perjury investigation, likely will lower the price to levels far below other high-profile hits.

"There is obviously a black cloud over this historic home run," said David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions in Laguna Hills, Calif., which specializes in sports memorabilia. "People are not scrambling after Barry Bonds jerseys and balls. Normally, with a historic event like this, we would see a lot more demand."

And Major League Baseball originally wasn't even going to authenticate Bonds' home run balls with the traditional hologram reserved for historic hits, before reversing course to help avoid having multiple claims of ownership of the ball.

The ball is expected to fetch around $100,000 at auction, far less than the $500,000 some experts say it could have commanded without the controversy surrounding Bonds.

The estimate is based on the sale of Bonds' 700th home run ball, which went for just over $100,000, coupled with the temerity of some collectors concerned their investment will lose value if Bonds is proven to have used steroids, auctioneers said.

The recently released book "Game of Shadows" details steroid allegations against Bonds, and a grand jury is investigating whether he lied under oath when he said he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Comic book icon Todd McFarlane, who paid $3 million for Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball in 1999 and just over $500,000 for Bonds' 73rd home run ball of the 2001 season, said he'll probably bid on No. 715, but he's lukewarm about the milestone.

McFarlane said the most he'd pay would be $70,000.

"Most of the stuff that I chase, I want number one," McFarlane said. "What happens when I walk into a room and say I have the second-best ball? The first question is, 'Well, where's the best one?"'

It's not all about Bonds' stats.

His brusque attitude also could weigh against the sale price, said Michael Heffner, president of the Lelands auction house.

"Collectors haven't written him off, but he's not on the same level as Babe Ruth," Heffner said. "Babe Ruth has already gone down in the history books as this lovable character. The perception of Barry Bonds is much different. The public views him as a bad guy who's not nice to his fans."

But a patient collector could make money if Bonds is not indicted and the ball spikes in value, said Doug Allen, president of Mastronet.com, an online sports auction site.

"Once the dust settles, people are going to realize he's one of the best to ever play the game," Allen said. "I truly believe that. This accomplishment will be incredible, but I don't think people can see that clearly right now."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2006-05-20 17:53:02