PDA

View Full Version : Go west, Ryan Garko, go west

sox83cubs84
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
For the numerous Ryan Garko fans and collectors in GUF-Land, Ryan Garko is no longer a Cleveland Indian...he was traded about 90 minutes ago to the Giants for a class A pitcher.

Dave M.
Chicago area

skyking26
07-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Wow. Tribe seems to be doing some goofy things.

GarkoCollector
07-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Im so ill right now. As a Dodgers fan too...I just dont know what to think. So much for me being able to drive a few hours to see him play.

dcgreg25
07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I think you are going to see a pretty complete rebuilding project in Cleveland. So far Garko, Betancourt, DeRosa are gone....my guess is we see them move VMart and/or Lee as well and probably Pavano and Wood if they can find people to take the contracts. The Indians actually have some pretty good young hitters to build around and look to be restocking the decimated pitching through these trades with an eye towards 2011 and beyond.

VMart is over 30 so signing him to a big contract as a catcher is probably not going to happen plus they have Carlos Santana working his way through the system right now. I am a big Martinez fan but he is a luxury that they just can not afford. :( The Indians can't (or won't) sign Lee to a deal that he will get on the open market.

Both players are controlled by the Indians through next year but both will likely be gone by the trade deadline next year. I don't think they will trade both before the deadline this year just because of fan backlash and putting up an obvious white flag on the 2010 season...that being said they might do it just to save the $$$$. :(

tbone90
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
As a life long Indian fan I wish Ryan Garko the best with his new team. I look forward to seeing what he can do with some consistency and continuity. He's been stroking very well of late and hit a ton at every level of the minors. plus who wouldn't want to play with Kung Fu Panda!

Wedge and his Sunday beer softball league mentality to managing has got to go already. These youngs kids finally make it to the show and never know if they're going to be in the line-up and if so where in the order and never know what position they might be playing. Garko in the outfield?!?!

Brandon Phillips, Franklyn Gutierrez, Jeremy Guthrie and now adding Ryan Garko!

GarkoCollector
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
The Giants said that they are planning to give Garko a majority of the time at 1B and bring Isikawa along a bit more slowly. When he is ready, they will move Garko to RF.