PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Rookie Jack Lambert Jersey

jobathenut
07-23-2009, 10:41 PM
There is a rookie jack lambert jersey on vintage authentics right now.I think it looks great.And just would like to know what people's thoughts are on it.As being a steelers fan and a huge lambert fan i have'nt seen very many lambert game used items especially jerseys.And i have never seen a "rookie" anything of his.I know there has been a post on here about lambert game used jersey's before.So i'm hoping those same people will give me thier insight about this jersey.I am stubid when it comes to computers.So im sorry i could'nt include a link to the auction here.Maybe someone smarter can post one for all to see the jersey.:)

joelsabi
07-24-2009, 12:43 AM
here you go buddy.

jobathenut
07-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks there joelsabi-:)

suicide_squeeze
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
First thing that jumps out at me is that the NOB is not centered above the "58" equally.....it's off centered to the left.

Find rookie pictures of Lambert and see if you can picture match that flaw....

both-teams-played-hard
07-24-2009, 03:01 PM
First thing that jumps out at me is that the NOB is not centered above the "58" equally.....it's off centered to the left.

I think that is just the way it is, because the way it fits on the mannequin.
From the info I have learned from this forum, the spacing between the letters on the NOB is on point.

Jake51
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Also, the description states that the nameplate was removed and then re-attached. Doesn't say/don't know if that was done during the season, after the season, years later...so I wouldn't focus on how the nameplate was centered over the numbers as we don't know when it was reattached.

Thanks,

Tom

genius
07-24-2009, 06:34 PM
This is a great looking jersey but I really dislike the nameplate. Looks just like the back of a couple of recent replicas on ebay. There's a great shot of Lambert in a 74 rookie jersey with original nameplate on this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoyEH36hIU

This is the NFL films top-10 drafts, Steelers 74 #1. Lambert shot is later in the video, maybe 3:00 or so in. Maybe someone can do a screengrab. The "M" is clearly slanted-wide rather than straight-vertical. And, it's centered and slightly higher than this one. Jersey looks great to me but I wouldn't be surprised if this nameplate was years after the fact, and how can you authenticate that the nameplate was really put back on by the team. But I'm no expert!

mvandor
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
This is a great looking jersey but I really dislike the nameplate. Looks just like the back of a couple of recent replicas on ebay. There's a great shot of Lambert in a 74 rookie jersey with original nameplate on this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoyEH36hIU

This is the NFL films top-10 drafts, Steelers 74 #1. Lambert shot is later in the video, maybe 3:00 or so in. Maybe someone can do a screengrab. The "M" is clearly slanted-wide rather than straight-vertical. And, it's centered and slightly higher than this one. Jersey looks great to me but I wouldn't be surprised if this nameplate was years after the fact, and how can you authenticate that the nameplate was really put back on by the team. But I'm no expert!

These videos will use clips from any year, no guarantee they're from his rookie year.

genius
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Clearly his rookie year, due to the diamond-point 5 that is obvious on the video.

jobathenut
07-25-2009, 04:42 AM
The one question i have,(and hopefully one of the experts on here can help me) is why would you remove the name plate on it? I guess i don't understand the purpose of that.And where did this name plate come from?Did it come from another lambert jersey from the same year or different year or is it not even from a game used jersey.Because if it was custom made for the jersey and never actually wore on a jersey then why would you put it on it.I mean was this done alot with jerseys in that era.Where they took off the name plates on them after the season's or something.Some insight would be great.I know there are jersey experts on here and would love to hear from them.I am in no way questioning this jersey's authenticity,i am just asking why add a name plate on it if it did'nt have one on it.Just sell it as it was.thanks:)

cohibasmoker
07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Don't know about the Steelers but in the 1970's and early 1980's, the Eagles would remove nameplates from jerseys;

1) when the team sent jerseys to charities or special events. This was done because the team owned the jersey but NOT the name on the jersey;
2) if a jersey was trashed but the nameplate could be re-used on another jersey.
3) If the jerseys were sold on a wholesale basis.

I got this info from two (2) retired Eagles equipment guys.

Jim

genius
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
screen grab of Lambert in 74 rookie jersey

iceman13
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Doesnt look like the same jersey

slats7
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Doesnt look like the same jersey

Doesn't have to be. I mean, what are the odds that he wore the exact same jersey week after week?

Jake51
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi,

In the 70's the odds were very high that he wore the same jersey week after week. Unlike todays players, who may wear a new jersey every week, players in the 70's were usually given one jersey for the season and only in the case of severe rips, etc would they swap out and wear a backup.

I know with the Broncos, the same jersey would often be worn for multiple years for the simple sake of saving $.

Personally, I think the photo is too blurry to be used to match and knowing the nameplate was removed, that really can't be used effectively either. If I was buying, I'd ask Vintage for many more close up photos of the repairs and start digging for a match.

Thanks,

Tom

jobathenut
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
But it still has to "look" like the same jersey.And the jersey on the sreen shot does'nt look like the jersey they are selling,is what the person is saying about it.Ande my thoughts are.And there is a good chance that he did wear the same jesey week after week.Because they did'nt wear mulitple jersey's like they do now.So the odds are good.:)
Doesn't have to be. I mean, what are the odds that he wore the exact same jersey week after week?

UGA-1
07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Is is possible that this jersey was actually worn by Chuck Allen who had #58 before Lambert? Then someone removed that name plate and put the Lambert plate on???? Is it even the correct size for Lambert?? I also agree that they (auction house) should give alot more info on a critical issue like this.

suicide_squeeze
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
IMO......

All you have to do is look at the "M" on the back of the screen shot.

It's wider than the "M" on the jersey for sale. The jersey for sale has an "M" that is roughly close to the same width as the rest of the letters on the back.

No thanks.

jobathenut
07-27-2009, 11:48 PM
They say that the name plate was removed and later they put this nameplate on it.But like i asked,why would you do that if it's not the original name plate.Is it the original name plate.And what was the reasoning of taking the nameplate off of it in the first place.They don't say where this nameplate came from.I would like to know if it's from another lambert jersey from another season.Or if it's not even a name plate that was on a jersey but made just to put on this jersey.:)
IMO......

All you have to do is look at the "M" on the back of the screen shot.

It's wider than the "M" on the jersey for sale. The jersey for sale has an "M" that is roughly close to the same width as the rest of the letters on the back.

No thanks.

iceman13
07-28-2009, 12:04 AM

How many shirts do you think they wore during a season in 1974? I vote for one road and one home.

jobathenut
07-29-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm really surprised that noone on here has commented who authenticated this jersey.As i know i have read threads before on here concerning that person.:)

genius
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
This one went for a cool $24K!

nickacs
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM
This one went for a cool $24K!

Yea, I was bidding on some items and at 12:30amEST noticed the Lambert was around $13k. Funny just an hour before it was around $3k, so definitely the "heavy hitters" came around at midnight! LOL...

Well, for the winners sake, I sure hope it's legit :cool: