PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Article "Killebrew: Reveal List of '03 Positive Tests"

cordovacollector
07-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Interesting statement from Killebrew. I agree with Harmon -- release the names and be done. Nice to see some guys take a stand. Get off your duff, Bud Selig!!

Other thoughts?

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20090723&content_id=6015050&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

suicide_squeeze
07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Interesting statement from Killebrew. I agree with Harmon -- release the names and be done. Nice to see some guys take a stand. Get off your duff, Bud Selig!!

Other thoughts?

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20090723&content_id=6015050&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Frankly speaking, these older baseball stars who set the standards of greatness are just a ball of class. How can you not respect these guys....you KNOW they are angry about what has happened to the record books.

Harmon Killebrew was 5th on the all-time home run list for MANY years....only to see himself bounced down (and barely hanging onto the last rung) to the bottom of the top 10. Possibly the only legitimate player to have passed him in that time is Griffey Jr.

I love it that he has come out and spoken him mind. They should absolutely release the remaining names, and get it over with.

My last comment is.....there seems to be such a large bit of confusion over the "number" of names. Not it sits on "103" since it was confirmed Alex Rodriguez was on that list.

With Sammy Sosa's name leaked, that leaves 102 left.

Whatever the number, BUD SELIG you immense stale Geek for the ages..... release the darn names and let the healing begin. My GOD I hate this man and his ways. He puts up a front like he cares, yet his actions speak of political compromise and backpeddling on a constant basis. Would somebody close to him please SLAP him a few dozen times and remind him he is not a Senator or Congressman, and it's OK to do the RIGHT thing for baseball???

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/slapping.gif

rj_lucas
07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm not a Selig apologist, but this issue can't be laid solely at his feet. The MLBPA negotiated the confidentiality agreement with MLB that keeps this list private.

The player's union has already lost a tremendous amount of leverage due to the PED issue, which no doubt contributed to the exit of Donald Fehr.

Should this list become public, the union stands to lose even further. This loss of contract negotiating leverage has been a goldmine for the owners (ironically), and has returned some of the power the owners lost to free agency.

When history writes the final chapter on this issue it will, as always, prove to be about money, power, and politics.

The players who foolishly used PEDs will be seen as minor actors in this drama; pawns who got ultimately crushed in the middle.

I continue to be amazed that no serious journalist has dealt with this facinating topic. Instead, we get the usual rapid newscycle sensationlism.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

cjclong
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
There was an agreement that the names would be kept secrete if the tests was run. Does the fact that some names were leaked with no authorization give anyone the right to violate an agreement made with all the players? Whether it was wise or not to make an agreement never to release the names of those that failed the tests, the fact is an agreement was made and it should be honored. I absolutely respect the players of the 50's and 60's, they were the ones I grew up watching. But its interesting to me that we constantly hear people complain, rightly, about people not keeping their word and then ask people to not honor their word by releasing the test results. Some of the people who are asking for the tests to be released would be the first to holler if someone made a promise to them and then did not keep it. That is what releasing the test results would be.

suicide_squeeze
07-25-2009, 01:40 PM
There was an agreement that the names would be kept secrete if the tests was run. Does the fact that some names were leaked with no authorization give anyone the right to violate an agreement made with all the players? Whether it was wise or not to make an agreement never to release the names of those that failed the tests, the fact is an agreement was made and it should be honored. I absolutely respect the players of the 50's and 60's, they were the ones I grew up watching. But its interesting to me that we constantly hear people complain, rightly, about people not keeping their word and then ask people to not honor their word by releasing the test results. Some of the people who are asking for the tests to be released would be the first to holler if someone made a promise to them and then did not keep it. That is what releasing the test results would be.

You are correct in principle, but outdated in reality.

NO ONE GROUP has done more singular damage to the game of baseball than the players union. They are the ones that demanded the names, if any were found, would not be released if they agreed to the tests. WHO in the F%&K are THEY to dictate rules of the process, and consequences or not when their members are breaking the LAW....the LAW........I repeat.......the LAW!!!??? This goes WAY beyond just baseball rules.

They have strong-armed owners, the league, the fans......everyone in the whole process, into getting their way, similar to the UAW's demands they have made over the years. "I want this, I want that, and this is what we'll do if we don't get it!" Now the taxpayers are left holding the Government bail-out of the most legalized criminal behavior in the history of American business......the systematic failing of our car comanies due to the demands of the UAW.

Baseball just happens to be a bit more popular than a Chevy Caprise, so it wasn't faced with bankruptcy, but the corruption was leading it into the crapper because they were destroying everything that has been established by the great forefathers of the game, namely the RECORDS.

So now, like Johnny Cochran, Satin rest his wretched soul, you want to make an argument about "doing the right thing" and honoring an agreement about keeping the names a sacred "secret" hush-hush for eternity? Are you KIDDING? Where was THEIR honor as they stole huge amounts of money from OTHER players who played the game right, thereby never getting their chance in the big leagues, while the cheaters injected chemicals into their bodies to morphisize themselves into freaks of nature with no down-side in their physical abilities?

RELEASE THE NAMES......and prove once in for all that doing the right thing will never take the back seat to criminally-intended front men like Donald Fehr, and their intentions to cheat the system on a permanent basis.