PDA

View Full Version : Bat Grain Question

marinersbaseballfan21
07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Some bats barrels are really grainy, like Mike Cameron always used to use really grainy Rawlings. Why is that? Does it mean the wood is harder so the bat will have more pop? Do the players ask for their bats to be extra grainy?

oakesc8855
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
It is just a finish that they put on the bat, like a stain, it dosent make the bat any better or worse, its just for looks and the players preferance.

CampWest
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
It is just a finish that they put on the bat, like a stain, it dosent make the bat any better or worse, its just for looks and the players preferance.

I think the OP is asking about the number of grains on the bat... not a finish.

I'm not an expert on wood characteristics. However, what I have always heard, particularly for Ash bats, is that the fewer grains the older and denser the wood. In other words fewer grains will be heavier and more solid.

Some players want lengthier bats with slightly less weight may choose a lower grade wood with more grains. Some players, like Tony Gwynn, used a shorter bat, but wanted the most solid wood. I believe Gwynn preferred his bats with fat grains, around 8-10 grains per inch. George Brett was also said to prefer wide grains.

In the end, its probably whatever each player wants, but the number and quality of the grains would have some impact on the characteristics of the bat.

I'm sure somebody out here has a more definitive answer. Though you might do a quick search, I know this topic has been covered before.

CampWest
07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm sure somebody out here has a more definitive answer. Though you might do a quick search, I know this topic has been covered before.

Now you've heard it straight from the best source:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=61203&postcount=6

CampWest
07-21-2009, 09:57 AM
and one more relevant thread...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7228&highlight=grain+number