PDA

View Full Version : Would you label your game used baseballs if you have a lot?

kylehess10
07-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm starting to become a ballhawk at Turner Field and I'm considering labeling all of my baseballs with maybe a number written in small print, but the only thing holding me back is, ofcoarse, the fact that I'm writing on them. I just made this contraption that will pick up baseballs out of the alley in Turner Field between the outfield wall and the seats. There's like a 12 foot drop in-between where players/grounds crew walk. I tested it out for the first time last Saturday and I got 8 baseballs in batting practice (though I gave 4 of them to kids).

Now....my game used baseball collection all were retrieved by me. None really have that much value besides one baseball I have which was John Smoltz' 3006th strikeout ball (and the final pitch from his 3000th strikeout night). I also have foul balls of Chipper Jones, Mark Teixeira, etc. All of my baseballs are stacked on top of eachother in ball cubes. What worries me though is that something could happen and the ball cubes will fall and all break apart and I won't know which baseball is which.

Every time I get a baseball (whether in batting practice or game), I label it with who hit it, what inning, the team it's against, every player that held it, etc., and I print this on a label which I put on the ball cube.

But I'm looking for opinions........should I write numbers on each baseball and keep track of which one is which incase the ball cubes were to somehow all tumble and break apart? Or would writing on the baseball be considered to you all as the same as if someone were to wear a game worn jersey and just say no to it?

jppopma
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Kyle,

If you are keeping the balls just for your collection and as a memory of when and how you got them; go on and mark them all up! If you plan to sell them, then you may want to keep it clean...but how much is a BP ball going to bring you vs. a BP ball with writting on it?

Personally, I mark all of the balls that my son gets at the games with the details of what game it was, what teams, and what player hit or gave him the ball. In my opinion, the memories to look back on those details are more than what a ball would sell for.

As for the special ones in the ball cubes. You may want to tape the ballcube around the top with clear packing tape. If they fall, your safe; if you want to remove it, you are only out the cost of a new ballcube.

Hope this helps!

justinwc80
07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I say no! But if you never plan on selling than do whatever makesyou most happy. Maybe new way to displayso you don't have to worry.

kylehess10
07-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I do plan on keeping all of my baseballs. It's just that writing on the balls would be questionable to me since it's not like the writing was there when I caught/retrieved the ball.

thrush29
07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
IMO I wouldnt write on the balls, but maybe try placing the labels that your using for the cubes on the balls themselves. If you find the right label you may still be able to pull it off the ball if need be. Or build a sturdy rack or somehting for the ball cubes. Good Luck

spartakid
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I would say no, I do the same thing that you do with the labels on the cubes. I've never had them fall and break open, and I don't think it's likely to happen. As was suggested, you could put tape around the cube, and that would keep them secure without writing on the balls. Ricardo

camarokids
07-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I believe you can buy a pen that has special ink that is only visible with a black light???? There by the writing would be invisible to the naked eye....

Either that or have your own holograms made with serial numbers.....

suicide_squeeze
07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Kyle,

What I do is take detailed crystal-clear pictures of each panel of the ball with the description of what it is in the background. That documents any little imperfection, mark, scrap, blemish on the labels (which there are three of), cut, soil mark, discoloration.....you name it. Then, even if you one day threw all of your baseballs in a barrel, you could ultimately identify them at a later date.

Of course, keep a back up file or portable copy of your balls, so if your computer crashes, you can pull them off of a portable memory device.

That way, you don't have to detract from the baseball by writing something on it. In my honest opinion, the best thing to have on the ball is the signature of the player who hit it on the sweet spot. But if it has a notation of what was done with the ball, that's ok too. I simply prefer the simple "clean ball" look myself, until I can get it signed.....

kylehess10
07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I decided I'll just go with the tape on the ballcube. That's sounds pretty safe. Even if all the ballcubes were to fall I don't think they'll actually break open unless it's a really hard hit.

Also....suicide squeeze - That's a PERFECT idea. I might do that as well before taping up my ball cubes.