PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Bob Gibson jersey -- SCP Auctions

Birdbats
07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I tried to bite my tongue about this one, but with the bid at almost $11,000, something needs to be said.

http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=17056

The Cardinals had names on the backs of their jerseys in 1962, even during spring training. According to an article posted on MEARS' Web site last August, there's no evidence this particular jersey ever did.

According to the MEARS article, the jersey was sold originally by SCP in April 2008 (lot #48). Now, SCP is auctioning it off again, calling it a "wonderful early Gibson gamer" that "shows excellent use." They never say it was worn by Gibson during the 1962 season, though the insinuation is evident.

The jersey does show good use and, from the front, looks like an ideal Gibby gamer. The question is, who wore it and when? Because in 1962, Gibson's actual gamers had his name on the back.

lund6771
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm surprised that there are people bidding over $10,000 and yet they don't spend a couple of minutes to research something so blatently obvious?

hblakewolf
07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Lund-

Research? Maybe the MEARS A5 gade will shed some light onto this jersey and any issues surrounding it. A5 is pretty low for a grading system that could have awarded an A10.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

yanks12025
07-20-2009, 04:59 PM
When the jersey was in there online store it said how it was missing the name on the back.

hblakewolf
07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
As a side note, the 5 on the back of the shirt not only looks larger than the 4, but it also looks to be sewn at a slight slant. Is this 5 original? Again, maybe the MEARS A5 grade will assit on this and the entire jersey history.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

both-teams-played-hard
07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
The chain-stitched "name in tail" looks questionable. It looks better done than the chain-stitched names of Cardinals gamers from this era. Am I wrong?

lund6771
07-20-2009, 05:39 PM
does Mears' letter say anything about the NOB possibly being removed?...would this be something visually obvious under a light table?

Vintagedeputy
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
As a side note, the 5 on the back of the shirt not only looks larger than the 4, but it also looks to be sewn at a slight slant. Is this 5 original? Again, maybe the MEARS A5 grade will assit on this and the entire jersey history.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

The 4 on the front is also smaller than the 5.

Birdbats
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
does Mears' letter say anything about the NOB possibly being removed?...would this be something visually obvious under a light table?

Don't know what the LOA says, but in his article posted on MEARS' Web site, Dave Grob wrote that he completed "a detailed visual inspection and evaluation of this jersey using lighted magnification, a light table, UV light and references." His finding was that the jersey had "no discernible signs that a name was ever applied to the jersey."

As for the numbers, Dave wrote, "The numerals all appear to be original and vintage. The adhesive on the back of all numerals has darkened and cracked as would be expected."

Birdbats
11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
It's back!

This Rawlings flannel dates from Gibson's fourth season in the majors. Its proper tagging includes his name and year designation stitched on the front tail "Gibson 62" below the manufacturer's tag noting the size "42". The jersey shows excellent game use. A wonderful early Gibson gamer with superb display quality. LOA from MEARS A5

Gee, what could they be leaving out? Again.

http://scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13985&searchby=3&searchvalue=gibson&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1962-BOB-GIBSON-ST.-LOUIS-CARDINALS-JERSEY-%28MEARS-A5%29

legaleagle92481
11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I think the grade says it all A-5 is a very low MEARS grade.

trsent
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Lund-

Research? Maybe the MEARS A5 gade will shed some light onto this jersey and any issues surrounding it. A5 is pretty low for a grading system that could have awarded an A10.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

I think the grade says it all A-5 is a very low MEARS grade.

I think Howard already mentioned this thought a year ago July.