PDA

View Full Version : World Series baseballs also used in BP?

Number9
07-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Just curious about bats that have ink impressions from World Series baseballs on them. Does they mean the bat was definitely used in a game OR do they use the same baseballs in World Series BP?

Seems to me you can't call a bat a World Series bat, and charge for it as so, if the same balls are used in BP as you dont know if its a BP bat or a bat used in a huge game (big difference).

Anybody know if those World Series balls are used in BP as well, or just World Series games?

Thanks

metsbats
07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I have 2 WS bats from 2000. One used in BP only and onewas used in both BP and in games.

The Matt Franco on top was only used in BP. Matt didnt use this natural WS bat during his plate appearances in the 2000 WS. The ball marks are regular season ball marks.

The Mike Bordick on the bottom was used in both BP and games he played as evidenced by both the blue ball marks and gold WS ball marks.

I'm going to to say that during BP regular season balls are used only.

Is my Matt Franco WS gamer a real "World Series" game used bat. Yes by MLB definition it is however it did not see any WS game action.

tigerdale
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I know in Detroit in 2006 some of the BP balls were world series balls & even early in 2007 a couple world series balls were caught in BP....

Number9
07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys.

Nice photos/bats Metsbats.

Number9
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Makes me reluctant to pay big money for a bat priced high due to World Series ballmarks. How do I know those aren't from BP? Seems to me there's no way to know, since tigerdale has proof of WS balls being used in BP.

chicagoglen
07-19-2009, 10:20 PM
All through 2006 the White Sox had 2005 World Series balls in BP.

grenda12
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
All through 2006 the White Sox had 2005 World Series balls in BP.

I didnt know that.

metsbats
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
This is great info. The Tigers and White Sox using WS balls in BP is quite fascinating and disturbing for collectors of those teams. This would certainly put some doubt on bats with WS ball marks on non WS bats which span years including the WS years.

flaco1801
07-19-2009, 10:41 PM
2000 world series i jumped over a fense to retrieve a ball(during batting practice) knowing if i got caught id be thrown out... i was thinking it was gonna be a world series ball... it wasnt..... i got it signed by turk wendall and dave wallace..

sox83cubs84
07-20-2009, 02:03 PM
World Series baseballs (also All-Star baseballs, inaugural season baseballs, and the like) have been occasionally surfacing since the late 1990s. One team source for the Cubs told me that Rawlings has overproduced a lot of these special event baseballs, and has offered them to teams in a volume discount with the understanding that they would only be used in BP...no games, no souvenir sales. In 2001, many White Sox BP baseballs were 2000 World Series balls. The craziest one I recall, though, was the Giants in 1999 or 2000 using 1998 Devil Rays Inaugural Season balls in BP.

Dave M.
Chicago area

rj_lucas
07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
World Series baseballs (also All-Star baseballs, inaugural season baseballs, and the like) have been occasionally surfacing since the late 1990s. One team source for the Cubs told me that Rawlings has overproduced a lot of these special event baseballs, and has offered them to teams in a volume discount with the understanding that they would only be used in BP...no games, no souvenir sales. In 2001, many White Sox BP baseballs were 2000 World Series balls. The craziest one I recall, though, was the Giants in 1999 or 2000 using 1998 Devil Rays Inaugural Season balls in BP.

Dave M.
Chicago area

These balls are readily available. Google 'rawlings world series baseball' and you'll find them for $20-$40.

So yes, there's a risk. As always, look for known use characteristics e.g. ball marks concentrated on the top of the bat for a label up right-handed hitter etc.

In the case of power hitters, it's difficult to fake the deep seam marks produced when a bat contacts a ball at a combined speed of 200MPH.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

cohibasmoker
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I have attached some scans of a 2000 World Series baseball I own. It was sold to me as a BP baseball and as you can see from the scans, the Mets and Yankees logos have been stamped on the baseball.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

orioles03
07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
when ever i would bat boy for visiting teams i always had to do the bucket in center field i always got the special balls all star world series etc when ever a visiting team would come in it is always the home teams jobs to provide the visitors with baseballs for bp you could always tell when a team would come in from chicago post ws year they would always have ws baseball same with all star baseballs i always shove a few in my back pocket and keep them

tigerdale
07-21-2009, 05:43 AM
one more point to this....I started a post back in april or may of this year...I bought 2 baseballs that were used in a game in Detroit in April that were MINOR league baseballs...both from different minor leagues at that..both mlb authenticated!!!

sox83cubs84
07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Got my 4th Final Season Metrodome ball in BP earlier tonight. None of the 4 were from the Twins...3 were from the Indians and the one tonight was from the Rays. The special event ball you catch or have tossed to you in BP doesn't necessarily have to have a link to the team that's hit/thrown it to you.

Dave M.
Chicago area