PDA

View Full Version : Had a quick chat with an MLB Authenticator today

kylehess10
07-19-2009, 12:17 AM
This morning I attended a free Tommy Hanson signing at the Braves Clubhouse Store at CNN. There was an MLB Authenticator putting a hologram on every autograph after Hanson signed something. After the signing was complete I had a quick chat with the authenticator. First, I asked about how many authenticators there are at the stadium. I thought 2 per game, but he said there's only 1 on duty at every game. And I also told him that I had Mark Kotsay's jersey that he wore when he hit for the cycle last year, and I asked why it wasn't MLB authenticated after the game being there it was such a significance being his 1,500th hit AND the double to complete a cycle. He told me that the MLB Authenticator has to request certain items every game. If he doesn't request it, then he doesn't get it. So I'm assuming maybe the authenticator was a little high and forgot afterwards that Kotsay hit for the cycle? Who really knows, but it was interesting being able to actually ask an authenticator questions.

stretch
07-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the information. I figured there would be a couple authenticators at the stadium and not just one. When I saw the authenticator he caught me off guard because I never expected one to be at the signing.

I was outside of the 250 tickets they gave out, so I was getting frustrated waiting in line, but I managed to get my items autographed.

I noticed the store only had three game used bats out. The only one that had a price listed was Tim Hudson. I use to make it to the CNN store once a month, but not able to go as often as I would like, so do they store items in the back?

kylehess10
07-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the information. I figured there would be a couple authenticators at the stadium and not just one. When I saw the authenticator he caught me off guard because I never expected one to be at the signing.

I was outside of the 250 tickets they gave out, so I was getting frustrated waiting in line, but I managed to get my items autographed.

I noticed the store only had three game used bats out. The only one that had a price listed was Tim Hudson. I use to make it to the CNN store once a month, but not able to go as often as I would like, so do they store items in the back?

Did you not see the case in the front of the store? There's about 10 bats in it. Francoeur, McCann, Johnson, etc. They're extrememly over-priced though. They'll bring the prices down hopefully someday like they would always do in the past and sell them for $10. Also in those sale racks they had a few Spring Training game worn jerseys for $50 each. There's actually a lot of bats all around the store, it's just that they're highly priced. You'll see bats in the case, on a rack (with those pink bats), and some on the wall in bat cases.

stretch
07-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Did you not see the case in the front of the store? There's about 10 bats in it. Francoeur, McCann, Johnson, etc. They're extrememly over-priced though. They'll bring the prices down hopefully someday like they would always do in the past and sell them for $10. Also in those sale racks they had a few Spring Training game worn jerseys for $50 each. There's actually a lot of bats all around the store, it's just that they're highly priced. You'll see bats in the case, on a rack (with those pink bats), and some on the wall in bat cases.

I'll pay closer attention next time. I've never seen the bats for that cheap and always seem to see them overpriced. During the past I remember seeing the same bat at the store for months and the price was never lowered. The Tim Hudson bat I saw was $300.

coxfan
07-19-2009, 06:28 AM
The chat with the authenticator was interesting, but I still wonder how they request items during the game, such as " ball in dirt to Jones, second inning." Do they sit near the ballboy? Otherwise, that ball wouldn't be identifiable.

I know someone who spoke to a minor-league authenticator at a AAA game in Charlotte. I think he said the guy sat near third base and could call for balls during the game at his discretion. I watched part of the authentication process at the end of two Texas Rangers' games in 2007. A man from the stands ( different guy each game), walked on the field and flashed credentials to the ballboy and a security guard. The ballboy had put six balls out of the "used" bucket onto the ground as he approached, and he picked up the balls, putting them in a bag and marking something on the outside. Later, I found six balls authenticated as game-used ( no specifics) for that game, as on the MLB authentication website.

One more question: Who do these guys work for and how are they hired? Wouldn't we all love that job!

ChrisWinsalways
07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Kyle...I was around 77 inline for Tommy this am and was curious,do they sometimes allow you to get two items depending on the line at CNN center?Also I seen several Pink Bats with the game used bats with no names are they some kinda retail Pink Bat?

CampWest
07-19-2009, 10:21 AM
The public accounting firm I used to work for provided staff for the MLB Authenticator role to the Kansas City Royals - that was also one per game and they had 2-3 individuals that rotated. They no longer do that. And of course I had left before that gig was an option. The authenticators were at least back then, independent of the team and the league. The downside of that is, at least when my old audit firm was involved, the individuals performing that role were not guaranteed to be baseball experts - so the potential for error exists.

Did you get a sense from this authenticator that they are still independent of the teams and leagues?

kylehess10
07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
stretch - In 2007, in the same case I was referring to, they had several bats in it, including Edgar Renteria, Scott Thorman, Matt Diaz, & Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Each were in the range of $150-$250 each. After several months of not selling, I walk into the store, and each had a new price tag of $10! They haven't done that since though, but I'm hoping to see it again someday.

ChrisWinsalways - That was actually the first signing I've attended at the Clubhouse Store. I always tend to miss them but this time I found out about the signing the day before so I was able to finally make one but I didn't see anybody getting more than 1 item signed so I'm not sure if they'll let you get more. Also those pink bats are just the regular retail version. The Braves sold all of their game issued/used pink bats through their e-mail list.

ChrisWinsalways
07-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info Kyle.Did you see anything at the Braves Foundation sale? I was somewhat disapointed.I thought most items were very overpriced but I wasnt suprised.

kylehess10
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info Kyle.Did you see anything at the Braves Foundation sale? I was somewhat disapointed.I thought most items were very overpriced but I wasnt suprised.

When it comes to game used, the foundation sale the Braves had this weekend was filled with crap. No game used bats or hats. And they had about 6 or 7 game worn jerseys for $150 each. All of those jerseys on the table were mixed with game issued and retail jerseys. Like at the fanfest, they mixed in game used bats with signed bats, but all they had were those signed bats. Did you see that team-signed display with a baseball signed by every player? I may consider doing that next year. That's one hell of a display.

ChrisWinsalways
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow youre right that display was great.I was amazed at the line for signed baseballs.The prices were insane and lots of people were buying two or three at a time.Do the Braves have a problem with Blue Sharpies? All the photos were with black or silver.

kj33706
07-19-2009, 10:32 PM
just wondering what a brian mccann bat would sell for in the team shop anyknow i would love to know.......
kj33706@yahoo.com

kylehess10
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
just wondering what a brian mccann bat would sell for in the team shop anyknow i would love to know.......
kj33706@yahoo.com

I can't remember the exact price but I think it was $300. They also have a game worn road jersey for $800